Generation Adidas Players

Same I don't know what determines who becomes a generation Adidas player

I believe they have to be developed through your Academy program. They have a salary that wouldn't count against your Hard Cap - Omar Gonzales and Deandre Yedlin both are GA players I believe.

I believe they have to be developed through your Academy program. They have a salary that wouldn't count against your Hard Cap - Omar Gonzales and Deandre Yedlin both are GA players I believe.

Ok, that makes sense. So is there a limit to Generation Adidas players you can have or how long that designation holds for a player? and a GA player is different from a DP, correct?

Two Homegrown Players. Not sure if the HG Players and GA players overlap. I think they do?

Different from a DP, yes. Wil Trapp is a GA player right now making a boat load of money. But still beneath the DP money though.

I wouldn't worry too much about a GA player taking a DP spot. You can only have two on contract at a time and to be honest the most expensive young players aren't coming through our Academies. Guys like Luke Shaw and Ross Barkley would be GA players if they were American. But we don't develop players like that.

Generation Adidas is a mechanism designed as to recognise that the US system of developing young players is not the way the rest of the world does it, and may in fact be slowing development down a bit. As players in the US system traditionally graduate to the professional game when they graduate from their college studies, this means that most young players only hit pro sports when they are 21 or so. In the rest of the world, however, there is no expectation that players should go through University first. This means that outside of America, young players are getting their first professional match experience two, three, even five or six years before an American would.

Generation Adidas was designed to plug that gap by offering a group of the most talented youngsters a change to skip college to get a fast-track into the drafts. Some GA players will come through club academies (though I think since GA players are put up for drafting, they have to be players released by their academy) or it might be players from outside the system or already half-way through college who are ready to step up. In exchange for skipping their studies, they get certain guarantees to protect their future careers if their professional football careers fail, such as future college scholarships and so on.

Generation Adidas is a mechanism designed as to recognise that the US system of developing young players is not the way the rest of the world does it, and may in fact be slowing development down a bit. As players in the US system traditionally graduate to the professional game when they graduate from their college studies, this means that most young players only hit pro sports when they are 21 or so. In the rest of the world, however, there is no expectation that players should go through University first. This means that outside of America, young players are getting their first professional match experience two, three, even five or six years before an American would.

Generation Adidas was designed to plug that gap by offering a group of the most talented youngsters a change to skip college to get a fast-track into the drafts. Some GA players will come through club academies (though I think since GA players are put up for drafting, they have to be players released by their academy) or it might be players from outside the system or already half-way through college who are ready to step up. In exchange for skipping their studies, they get certain guarantees to protect their future careers if their professional football careers fail, such as future college scholarships and so on.
Falastur does it again! Thanks for clearing it up.

So as far as pay goes, since it doesn't count towards the cap, who is responsible; Does the club pay out of pocket? Is the salary subsidized by Adidas?

It does count towards the pay cap. However, players at this end of the scale tend to be paid a low enough wage that they don't cause headaches for the beancounters trying to make the budget work each season.

Every squad has 30 places (max). 20 are senior players, 10 are junior players. GA players are of course in the junior section. The first 4 junior players on the roster have the same league-required minimum salary as the senior players - $48,500/season. The last 6 junior players have a lower annual minimum wage, of $36k, so the six most junior players in the team in fact only cost the equivalent of 4.5 minimum wage senior players, thus encouraging teams to look for young talents to stock out their last squad places.

It does count towards the pay cap. However, players at this end of the scale tend to be paid a low enough wage that they don't cause headaches for the beancounters trying to make the budget work each season.

Every squad has 30 places (max). 20 are senior players, 10 are junior players. GA players are of course in the junior section. The first 4 junior players on the roster have the same league-required minimum salary as the senior players - $48,500/season. The last 6 junior players have a lower annual minimum wage, of $36k, so the six most junior players in the team in fact only cost the equivalent of 4.5 minimum wage senior players, thus encouraging teams to look for young talents to stock out their last squad places.
Aren't players 21-30 considered off-budget and actually don't count towards the cap?

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/roster-rules-and-regulations