Home - 03/15 New England Revolution

Nemec was definitely better. Still don't think he keeps his starters job though. Really like the burst Shelton provides as a sub at the moment though.
Just want to reply to this. Nemec isn't scoring, and of course we want him to. However, so far, the formula is working. Sure there will be tweaks each week, but I say Kreis doesn't change it come game 3. Shelton, Mullins coming in late, they played their role perfectly. All of this eqauls the logic of little to no changes come next game. I also still think Williams starts instead of Facey, although I am sure Kreis is thinking of doing something in defense that is new different. But coaches don't normal make full scale changes while doing well and there are no injuries.

I'm not saying that I don't want Mullins, Shelton or Facey to start, I just think realistically Kreis won't make that change until he has to.

Reactions: Vito
Just want to reply to this. Nemec isn't scoring, and of course we want him to. However, so far, the formula is working. Sure there will be tweaks each week, but I say Kreis doesn't change it come game 3. Shelton, Mullins coming in late, they played their role perfectly. All of this eqauls the logic of little to no changes come next game. I also still think Williams starts instead of Facey, although I am sure Kreis is thinking of doing something in defense that is new different. But coaches don't normal make full scale changes while doing well and there are no injuries.

I'm not saying that I don't want Mullins, Shelton or Facey to start, I just think realistically Kreis won't make that change until he has to.
I agree with the don't fix what ain't broke concept, but we were lucky not to give up three goals in these games. It's pretty clear that something is broken on defense

Reactions: Jack
Yes, Nemec is struggling to finish. But he's a one man free kick destroyer. Maybe he should be a CB. But he held up play incredibly well and with Villa bursting down the left side and late runs from our MF he is playing his role PERFECTLY. If he can ever figure out how to score, he could put 15 away. He just gets open somehow. Right now I'm not worried about him and Ive quickly come to appreciate him. He missed two good chances today. Villa missed FOUR. Nemec played well. He beats the crap out of CBs and won every aerial. Then, after getting battered by a 6'5" 250 lb man for 60 minutes, they bring in pace to blow by the exhausted defenders. Kreis is brilliant. Brilliant. Nemec also out worked the smaller backs to win balls.

Loved what I saw from Facey. Should be starting for Williams. With the hold up play of Nemec and how useless Williams and Brovsky are getting up the field, he could be a real terror. Second fastest guy on the squad.

Favorite play was Shelton coming out of nowhere to split defenders. Blew by them. What an athlete.

Thought Villa played A LOT as left winger in the second half.

Agree with everything you said. If we're going to be so strict with strikers, then it'd be hard for any of them to perform knowing they only have 2 games to impress. His headers were crucial to our first half as they were the only shot we had at creating any kind of space for ourselves. Otherwise the pressure from NE would've never ended. He won at least 8 headers from Saunders in the first half alone - and that only when I said to myself "he's winning everything, I should start counting". He dominated in the air today and his movement was good. Strikers don't need to always score to be important. It's only his second game for the club...

There has been plenty of great discussion on the quality of play, so I thought instead I would just offer some of my random thoughts on what was an incredible night.

It was beautiful to see such an amazing diversity of men and women, kids, races, ethnicities, etc. I love this city.

For those who weren’t in attendance and plan on visiting the stadium, note that YS has installed metal detectors making the security lines very long. They may move quicker for smaller crowds and as they improve the system, but I still suggest getting to games with time to spare.

I got there early enough to walk around the stadium on two different levels and despite all the baseball stadium talk was pleasantly surprised how good the site lines were almost throughout.

After spending the year wondering whether or not it was the right move to choose my particular seats, I loved them and wouldn’t change them. Pre-game pic attached.

I felt bad for the little boy accompanying Brovsky who started crying as they came out in the procession and had to be taken back inside.

Notwithstanding the pre-season banter about the DJ, I thought he crushed it before the game. He played a great mix of NYC classics, Run-DMC, Jay-Z, Grandmaster Flash, etc. The crowd was singing along and grooving before the game even started.

Keep your ticket/card/lanyard with you at all times. I had handed my lanyard to my brother at some point and went to the bathroom without it. Even though the attendant had seen me a dozen times throughout the night, she wouldn’t let me back in until my brother ran it up.

The Rev supporter cheers were awful. Their go-to was simply to chant “Rev-o-lution” which was quickly met by our “sucks” replies (the first “organic” cheer by our fans).

I sat next to Poku’s childhood buddy which was very cool to learn more about #88.

Was very cool to see Villa signal some of the players after the game to make sure everyone visited the supporter sections and make the rounds to salute the fans.

Mix and Khiry were particularly fired up to make their way to the supporters’ sections.

Poku was excited to see that he had a small impromptu cheering section we created as he came off the field.

Wingert jumping into our section after the game to share the moment with his group was beautiful to see. There was intense celebration, hugs and happiness.

Anyone else experience the brass band playing Empire State of Mind outside after the game and the crowd singing the words? That was priceless.

I have felt so invested and excited about this team, last night will be one to remember.
NYCFC.jpg

Last edited:
There has been plenty of great discussion on the quality of play, so I thought instead I would just offer some of my random thoughts on what was an incredible night.

It was beautiful to see such an amazing diversity of men and women, kids, races, ethnicities, etc. I love this city.

For those who weren’t in attendance and plan on visiting the stadium, note that YS has installed metal detectors making the security lines very long. They may move quicker for smaller crowds and as they improve the system, but I still suggest getting to games with time to spare.

I got there early enough to walk around the stadium on two different levels and despite all the baseball stadium talk was pleasantly surprised how good the site lines were almost throughout.

After spending the year wondering whether or not it was the right move to choose my particular seats, I loved them and wouldn’t change them. Pre-game pic attached.

I felt bad for the little boy accompanying Brovsky who started crying as they came out in the procession and had to be taken back inside.

Notwithstanding the pre-season banter about the DJ, I thought he crushed it before the game. He played a great mix of NYC classics, Run-DMC, Jay-Z, Grandmaster Flash, etc. The crowd was singing along and grooving before the game even started.

Keep your ticket/card/lanyard with you at all times. I had handed my lanyard to my brother at some point and went to the bathroom without it. Even though the attendant had seen me a dozen times throughout the night, she wouldn’t let me back in until my brother ran it up.

The Rev supporter cheers were awful. There go-to was simply to chant “Rev-o-lution” which was quickly met by our “sucks” replies (the first “organic” cheer by our fans).

I sat next to Poku’s childhood buddy which was very cool to learn more about #88.

Was very cool to see Villa signal some of the players after the game to make sure everyone visited the supporter sections and make the rounds to salute the fans.

Mix and Khiry were particularly fired up to make their way to the supporters’ sections.

Poku was excited to see that he had a small impromptu cheering section we created as he came off the field.

Wingert jumping into our section after the game to share the moment with his group was beautiful to see. There was intense celebration, hugs and happiness.

Anyone else experience the brass band playing Empire State of Mind outside after the game and the crowd singing the words? That was priceless.

I have felt so invested and excited about this team, last night will be one to remember.
View attachment 2113

Thank you for mentioning the DJ! I thought he was so good. I tweeted about it, hoping I'd get some love from other people who went but I came up empty :D I hope he sticks around because I was feeling almost all of the stuff he was playing.

Reactions: JayH
I'm in section 225 so it's right next to the away supporters and after the match I talked to some Revs fans. They were really nice people, surprisingly ;), and said they were extremely impressed with our team, New York City, Yankee Stadium, and support and game turn out.

Reactions: Kjbert

The Rev supporter cheers were awful. Their go-to was simply to chant “Rev-o-lution” which was quickly met by our “sucks” replies (the first “organic” cheer by our fans).

View attachment 2113
Sums it up pretty good. The got a lot of hate coming into this (myself included) But I thought that the DJ, the brass band AND Ashanti all did a kickass job.

Reactions: JayH and Kjbert
I really liked the fact that (at least as best I could hear) the supporter's sections all sang out the whole anthem start to finish. I really hope that becomes a tradition/thing we do.

Reactions: Gene and Kjbert
Forgot about the DJ. Loved the DJ. I was hugely skeptical about that. Loved it. He nailed it.

The band was fun at halftime too. Ashanti performed well and looked good.

Brovsky is just awful though. We really need a LB.

Brovsky is just awful though. We really need a LB.
I've seen a lot of these comments on Brovsky but I think they are unfair and have carried over from the first game when he was poor. He was much improved last night imo. Did more going forward and didn't notice any defensive break downs. He was linking up with Mix on the left side and set up the ball before Mix chipped it to Villa who almost scored on the volley. Do I see him as a permanent answer or anything? No, but I do think he played well last night and deserves credit when due.

I'm in section 225 so it's right next to the away supporters and after the match I talked to some Revs fans. They were really nice people, surprisingly ;), and said they were extremely impressed with our team, New York City, Yankee Stadium, and support and game turn out.
I saw several people wearing NYC hats/ jackets, and/or shirts AND a Revs scarf. I'm pretty sure it wasn't just the same guy I kept running into. Not sure what their allegiances were but I thought it was kind of neat no matter.

I saw several people wearing NYC hats/ jackets, and/or shirts AND a Revs scarf. I'm pretty sure it wasn't just the same guy I kept running into. Not sure what their allegiances were but I thought it was kind of neat no matter.
Haha I think you saw people wearing the inaugural match scarf. It's the kind of scarf that commemorates big matches and usually has both teams on it. There will probably be one for the first match against Red Bull too.

Like this:

Scotland-v-England---Inte-012.jpg

Haha I think you saw people wearing the inaugural match scarf. It's the kind of scarf that commemorates big matches and usually has both teams on it. There will probably be one for the first match against Red Bull too.

Like this:

Scotland-v-England---Inte-012.jpg
You're probably right, but if so they did a poor job of tying it. They had the European loop going and the only thing sticking out was the Revs logo.