Away - 03/08 Orlando City SC

Having slept on it, it was a point gained rather than two lost despite the disappointing finish. If I were an OC fan I'd have been gutted to have got nothing from a game they bossed for 70% of the time.
NY were so narrow and slow until Shelton's arrival, although JK would probably say patient and compact. Possession was good but Orlando had plenty of time to get back into their defensive shape, two solid lines of 4, and they did a great job on Villa. One guy behind him two in front and hardly any supply.
Nemec I almost felt sorry for. The guys a bludgeon, you pick him and you play one of two ways. You go long and he uses his strength to hold up play and bring in the midfield or you go wide and deliver into the box. Neither happened, apart from his missed header, although that may be in part because the full backs were limited in their attacking threat because they were penned back by their OC counterparts. You guys who are more familiar with the squad will know more about that.
Shelton gave width and stretched the Orlando defence, and it was noticeable that Villa moved wider in search of space at the same time. This then gave the rest of midfield more room and was our best spell and when we scored. Great finish BTW.
I'm over for the SKC game so watched the first half of their game v Red Bulls. They are a counter-attacking team with pace to burn so I hope JK can sort out the system.

Reactions: Paul
I'm honestly pleased with the result - it could have been way worse with how we played in the first half - getting the first goal really silenced the stadium (for a bit) and the equalizer goal was a long time coming - so I can live with a draw especially since it denied them that W they wanted so badly

Plus, can you imagine how nerve wracking it must have been for some of the players that aren't used to playing in front of a large crowd, especially 62,000 of them, for a game that was nationally broadcasted and also seen in Europe? Big props for keeping their composure in front of this:

C0pwZvr.jpg

I'm honestly pleased with the result - it could have been way worse with how we played in the first half - getting the first goal really silenced the stadium (for a bit) and the equalizer goal was a long time coming - so I can live with a draw especially since it denied them that W they wanted so badly

Plus, can you imagine how nerve wracking it must have been for some of the players that aren't used to playing in front of a large crowd, especially 62,000 of them, for a game that was nationally broadcasted and also seen in Europe? Big props for keeping their composure in front of this:

C0pwZvr.jpg
I agree we didn't play that great so I can live with a draw. I am happy with it and finally we can focus on someone else besides fucking Orlando. Bring on NE who are sure to be ready after getting spanked by Seattle.

Reactions: Kubah and LostAnvil
I agree we didn't play that great so I can live with a draw. I am happy with it and finally we can focus on someone else besides fucking Orlando. Bring on NE who are sure to be ready after getting spanked by Seattle.
Exactly - that's why I really liked Villa's quote before the game:
“The objective isn't to beat Orlando, it is to beat everyone.''
From what I've seen, I think Orlando will score a lot, but will also concede a lot - based on the pre-season, their goalie, Ricketts, isn't that good - and Kaka terrifies me

I honestly didn't expect the quality to be any better than what we saw, especially in the first half. This is still a team that was playing its first true game together, in front of a massive crowd on the road, still grasping a system, and featuring what for now was a best-guess of a starting lineup based upon training and a few friendlies. This is going to take time, there will be bumps, and the lineup will be tweaked and will evolve as weaknesses are quickly exposed (e.g., likely Nemec, the 'stache, etc.). We're working with what we've got for now, so it may never be a well-oiled machine, but hopefully a team that will improve, compete, and show a ton of passion. Some of the kids may/should come along in training as well and could eventually make an impact (Shelton already did, and maybe Calle, Poku and Beauty in time). Before the game, I'm afraid I would have taken a tie, and certainly at half time I would have jumped on a point. It was a painful way to lose points at the end, but still a positive result and a lot for us to look forward to. Bring on the Massholes.

I was really impressed with the ref for accurately calling those dives every time. Each one looked bad for us at first glance, but on replay Shea fell with minimal arm contact, and the other two, they dragged the leg looking for contact.

However, Brovsky is asking for trouble with those speculative tackles. I really hope facey can play on sunday, and we really need Connor Brandt to turn into a player quick. I liked what I saw from him in preseason.

Exactly - that's why I really liked Villa's quote before the game:

From what I've seen, I think Orlando will score a lot, but will also concede a lot - based on the pre-season, their goalie, Ricketts, isn't that good - and Kaka terrifies me

Kaka looks like he'll be the best player in the league. Dude was scary yesterday.

New to the forum, but as a MCFC fan I've been following the developments of NYCFC from the beginning. General interest has turned into a genuine affinity and I was certainly excited for the game yesterday.

I thought we looked understandably nervous for the first 15 minutes yesterday, but steadily tried to play our passing game and settled down. Orlando were definitely up for the fight as well and didn't give the midfield much time on the ball which disrupted the rhythm of our play.

Diskerud came into it in the second half and to me we looked much more assured.

Saunders was an absolute warrior, he must be feeling the bumps and bruises today!

Shelton's performance was promising when he came on and I'd try and find a place in the starting 11 for him. I think he provides much needed pace going forward.

Still early days, but there was plenty to be positive about, once Nemec finds his feet the midfield start picking up Villa's runs, the shots and goals will come. I'm sure next Sunday will be a great day there's no reason why we can't come away with the first win of the season. I'll be cheering on from Manchester anyway!

New to the forum, but as a MCFC fan I've been following the developments of NYCFC from the beginning. General interest has turned into a genuine affinity and I was certainly excited for the game yesterday.

I thought we looked understandably nervous for the first 15 minutes yesterday, but steadily tried to play our passing game and settled down. Orlando were definitely up for the fight as well and didn't give the midfield much time on the ball which disrupted the rhythm of our play.

Diskerud came into it in the second half and to me we looked much more assured.

Saunders was an absolute warrior, he must be feeling the bumps and bruises today!

Shelton's performance was promising when he came on and I'd try and find a place in the starting 11 for him. I think he provides much needed pace going forward.

Still early days, but there was plenty to be positive about, once Nemec finds his feet the midfield start picking up Villa's runs, the shots and goals will come. I'm sure next Sunday will be a great day there's no reason why we can't come away with the first win of the season. I'll be cheering on from Manchester anyway!

I agree, and nice choice of an avatar btw. Serpico is the man.

Reactions: The Blue
Kaka looks like he'll be the best player in the league. Dude was scary yesterday.

Seriously? Maybe I'm just a bit critical, but I thought he was largely anonymous yesterday.

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/3577/

Check out the link above, it has his stats. The copy/paste didn't work well.

He lost the ball 4 times and had 2 unforced errors losing possession.

He was stuck in the corner a few times and dribbled into players. He had a few nice turns in the mid field but outside of his shooting (the Saunders shot was nice and would have gone in had our boy not been on fire that day)

Look, I know he is a good player, but his last few years at Milan were an absolute failure and I just don't rate him as highly as other people do

2015 Kaka is not 2006 Kaka. Those days are looooooong gone.

His rating would be alot lower had he not scored that deflection.

Last edited:
Rumor is Kaka used his Brazil hookup and had Neymar come out and give Orlando some pointers.

Reactions: BxLio91
After months and years of waiting, it was a great game. Even with the late goal to even it out, it was sweet. And after all that uniform banter, they didn't look bad at all in those blues. Still can't wait for the dark road kits. All told, a smashing success for game 1!