Away - 03/08 Orlando City SC

imtth.jpg

Reactions: FCRU and Gene
Watched it late while caring for a sick little one so wasn't able to be as attentive as I usual am...

But I thought we did fairly well given we are a brand new team, still getting to know one another and the playing system, in a massive stadium (in England and Spain very few stadiums have that sort of capacity) filled almost entirely with purple shirts, against a team whose strategy seemed to be "kick the stuffing out of Villa and get the ball to Kaka if you aren't in a position to dive and win a freekick/penalty".

I've never seen a referee with so much courage to give three yellows in one match for diving—we're lucky to see one every 10 matches and half the time they are wrong (I'm thinking of a certain yellow on Aguero against Liverpool last season). The haste the Orlando players had to go down was appalling.

And that tackle on Villa was horrific. I read some comments on Twitter this morning that said Collin was only sent off because it was Villa and MLS want to protect one of the true marquees they have left after Beckham, Henry, and Donovan have departed. Many seemed to think it wasn't that bad a tackle. I think that perspective is utter tosh. Collin went high, over the ball, and if not for Villa's experience from years of getting hacked from every angle Collin could have snapped his leg in two. I am sure it is a 3 match ban but it should be more. He may not have meant to harm him but if he plays that recklessly, that often—as some tweets seemed to indicate: "Collin is red carded for a reckless challenge. Also, water is wet."—then they should throw the rule book at him.

Shelton certainly improved the team and gave Villa the space to roam he desperately needed, Saunders strangely looked more assured after his injury, and Mix had a great goal (though, an ok performance—statistics of course can be misleading). Jacobson looked a a little out of his depth at times and I'm not convinced either fullback is what is needed (especially giving frequent overlapping runs are a must for a targetman/dribbler combo up front) but that could be down to early days and nerves.

Overall I think it was a 7/10 performance given the various factors and that is not bad for our first ever competitive match.

Player ratings

Saunders - 7
Hard to see how he could endear himself to the supporters any more. Pretty heroic stuff for the first game - am genuinely surprised he stayed in the game after that first collision, let alone when the cut to his read re-opened. Made a great save down low to his left second half, otherwise did what was expected of him. Looked very strong coming out to punch away corners, but his goal kicks were erratic at times. Would like to see him play it short so we could play it out of defense a little more often, but I don't think he could really trust his full backs.

Williams - 6
Quiet game overall, kept track of Shea pretty well, but didn't get forward too much.

Hernandez - 7
Shaky start, but really grew into the game. Can't ask for more in terms of commitment, made plenty of last-ditch tackles and put his body on the line during set-pieces.

Wingert - 6
Quiet game overall, but used the ball well.

Brovsky - 5
Oh dear - something of a bombscare in the second half when he was diving into tackles all over the place. We're incredibly fortunate that the ref wasn't intimidated by the occasion today, because he was just asking to give away a penalty and/or a red card today. Doesn't look overly confident on the ball either and gave it away too often.

Grabavoy - 6
Offered next to no width in the diamond formation, which hurt us throughout the game. But on the ball he was excellent, playing simple passes and keeping things ticking over. Feel like he can be a crucial player this season, and most of the good portions of play we had came through him, but we're hamstrung as long as he's forced out wide.

Diskerud - 9 (MOTM)
What more did you want from this guy? The best player on the pitch by a mile - ran himself into the ground, created chances, kept possession, hassled the opposition midfield, and scored a beautiful, beautiful goal. (Can someone gif that badge-kissing celebration?) Not surprised he had to come off, he must have covered more ground than any other player - this guy is going to absolutely run the show this year.

Jacobson - 7
Is he being payed by the backheel or something? Nah, seriously, he had a good game. Offered the steel we needed in the middle of the park, and worked hard to track back when needed. Loved it when he got in Shea's face during that first dive.

Bellouchy - 5
Showed a bit of quality when he was on the ball, but just didn't make himself available enough. Failed to create space out on the wing, and ended up being a bit of a passenger as a result. As the only player offering any kind of width, was disappointing that he didn't try to take on the full back. Became obvious how little impact he was having on the game when Khiry came on.

Nemec - 5
Feel like I'm being generous to the guy here, but he did at least hold the ball up well on occasion, and offered us an aerial outlet up front, which gave us some breathing room when we weren't able to keep it on the floor. Unfortunately that was about it - his job was to be the target man and bring Villa into the game, and he failed at that miserably. Didn't work the keeper when he was given the chance to shoot, and that lack of control when he was literally presented the ball on the edge of the area by their defender was criminal. Could have won us the game and didn't.

Villa - 6
OK, now THIS is what I call generous. Can't honestly remember a single contribution he made in the first half. Was double-teamed most of the game, and just couldn't make an impact - if this doesn't change then we're in serious trouble. Didn't exactly get great service from the wingers or his strike partner, but that doesn't excuse his selfishness on the couple of occasions when he did get the ball in a decent position - there were at least two chances when he should have laid it off, rather than try and do things himself. I'll put that down to frustration, but he does get credit for having the intelligence to take that short corner that ultimately led to our goal - more of that please.

Shelton - 7
Breath of fresh air when he came on, ran at players and generally made a nuisance of himself. Very unlucky not to have scored, but with his work rate, pace and skill on the ball, he will make plenty of more chances for himself and his teammates (which is more than can be said for Bellouchy)

Velasquez/Calle - not enough time to make an impact

The opposition - 6
Nothing special really. Lack of discipline was pretty surprising - the diving was embarrassing by the end of the game, and the red card tackle was a horrorshow. As expected, everything went through Kaka, but he didn't look like he had the class to really take control of the game. Was impressed with Shea and the RB (can't remember his name), and their ability to get forward, but they were very lucky to have got anything from the game and they must know it.

Fair play to their fans for making a bit of noise and colour as well - couldn't really tell from watching on TV, but hopefully we can follow suit next weekend. Was watching in Nevada Smiths which was strangely subdued until the second half (I think the Third Rail were all camped upstairs out of earshot, so don't know if they were making much noise), but great to see so many people out.

I agree with most of that but Brovsky, Grabavoy and Ballouchy were no better than a 4.

Nemec held the ball up well at times, but his end product is what let him down. Also Villa got frustrated about lack of service and when he did get it he just tried to do it all on his own which was the wrong thing to do.

I can understand why Saunders was giving MOTM, but I agree that for me Mix was our best player.

I think I would give the same starting XI a shot again, but I would start Shelton for Ballouchy. Really impressed by Shelton, he changed the game against Orlando, and was pretty good in the preseason as well.

Sorry I have to disagree with you.

I believe Facey needs to replace Brovsky with Wingert moving to left back. Poku in for Ballouchy allowing Mix to move forward. I would put Calle in fro Grabavoy for balance on the left and Shelton for Nemec to give us that pace up front. Would also have Taylor on the bench.

I believe the point was a good one but of course three would have been better.

Had a look at the tables and it is obvious the Eastern Conference is weaker than the Western Conference. That will give us a good chance of finishing high in the table.

It will be interesting how JK changes the formation for the next game, but I think he needs to omit Ballouchy and Grabavoy. Ballouchy was just too slow in his use of the ball and Grabavoy was constantly caught in possession and out muscled in the challenges.

I know it was only the first game but I do think changes are needed. Likewise Brovsky and Wingert struggled. I would bring Facey in and Brandt if he is fit, otherwise move Wingert to left back.

I am very sure that we will see a much better performance in the next game.

Reactions: Sabo
I can understand why Saunders was giving MOTM, but I agree that for me Mix was our best player.

Honestly, I feel bad for sounding like I'm beating on the guy after he had a good game, but Saunders really didn't do much more than you would expect from a keeper, any keeper. By contrast Mix already looks irreplaceable - I shudder to think how the game would've gone if HE had to come off in the first half. Tough players like Saunders deserve our praise (and probably a post-match beer too) but you don't just decide the MOTM award on who's scrappiest. Especially not when someone else on the team plays like Mix did.

Honestly, I feel bad for sounding like I'm beating on the guy after he had a good game, but Saunders really didn't do much more than you would expect from a keeper, any keeper. By contrast Mix already looks irreplaceable - I shudder to think how the game would've gone if HE had to come off in the first half. Tough players like Saunders deserve our praise (and probably a post-match beer too) but you don't just decide the MOTM award on who's scrappiest. Especially not when someone else on the team plays like Mix did.
I think most including myself (and I don't want to speak for others) feel like Saunders really kept the score at 1-1. It could have been 2-1 at the least. If that set hadn't deflected the end would have been 0-1. Mix goal was great, but best player on the pitch that game for me was Saunders. Maybe it should also be noted that many thought (and maybe still think) from the friendlies that he was one of the weakest on the team. It was a huge turn around in performance from him too.

Can someone post the Villa/Kries post game video. For some reason when I play it on the NYCFC website it is saying not allowed for UK
It was hard to watch. Villa speaking spanish to spanish speaking reporters, then Kreis giving very little information, as is his wont.
Summary: Villa very happy to play here, refereeing is a hard job,
Kreis: everyone played hard we have a lot of work to do.

Reactions: LostAnvil
It was hard to watch. Villa speaking spanish to spanish speaking reporters, then Kreis giving very little information, as is his wont.
Summary: Villa very happy to play here, refereeing is a hard job,
Kreis: everyone played hard we have a lot of work to do.

Thanks Tom

I am hoping that JK will look to be more offensive at home. I know it isn't easy as the team is just finding it's feet, but we need to show our fans that we will take it to the opposition when playing at home.

I was finally able to review the WhoScored.com analysis and there were some interesting points. Orlando had 15 shots (4 on target) compared to 8 shots (only 1 on target) for NYCFC. Orlando also had more possession (54/46) and more corners (6 to 1). All in all, we were fortunate not to be losing at halftime and were even more fortunate to find ourselves up 1 in goals and men on the field with a few minutes remaining. Orlando was equally fortunate to get that bullshit freekick goal from Kaká. All in all, I think a draw was the fair result. Among other things, we have to work on our spacing and possession. Grabavoy disappointed me because he's a veteran, played well in preseason and usually excels in those departments. I think he was the most to blame against Orlando for our poor spacing.

I also specifically compared Mix and Kaká because they seemed to be the most influential starters to me.

Kaká: 7.6 rating; 1 goal from 5 shots (2 on target); completed 82% of his only 44 passes but had 4 key passes (no NYCFC player had more than 1 key pass); completed only 3 of 11 crosses
Mix: 8.0 rating (MOTM according to WhoScored.com); 1 goal from 1 shot; completed 95% of his 76 passes (highest for either team); also led both teams in touches with 82

I was finally able to review the WhoScored.com analysis and there were some interesting points. Orlando had 15 shots (4 on target) compared to 8 shots (only 1 on target) for NYCFC. Orlando also had more possession (54/46) and more corners (6 to 1). All in all, we were fortunate not to be losing at halftime and were even more fortunate to find ourselves up 1 in goals and men on the field with a few minutes remaining. Orlando was equally fortunate to get that bullshit freekick goal from Kaká. All in all, I think a draw was the fair result. Among other things, we have to work on our spacing and possession. Grabavoy disappointed me because he's a veteran, played well in preseason and usually excels in those departments. I think he was the most to blame against Orlando for our poor spacing.

I also specifically compared Mix and Kaká because they seemed to be the most influential starters to me.

Kaká: 7.6 rating; 1 goal from 5 shots (2 on target); completed 82% of his only 44 passes but had 4 key passes (no NYCFC player had more than 1 key pass); completed only 3 of 11 crosses
Mix: 8.0 rating (MOTM according to WhoScored.com); 1 goal from 1 shot; completed 95% of his 76 passes (highest for either team); also led both teams in touches with 82

Interesting. I'm surprised that David Villa had the lowest NYCFC rating among starters, even lower than Mehdi Ballouchy, and Adam Nemec was 7th (given the opportunities he squandered). My eyes told me differently.

Villa may have had some trouble getting separation but he did not get a lot of service either; moreover, I'm unsure Mix would have scored without Villa's nifty move to draw defenders and making that well-executed pass that ultimately led to the goal.

Reactions: Paul