Home - February 26 - San Carlos - CCL

Will You Attend The CCL "Home" Match at Red Bull Arena?

• Yes

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Unable Due to Conflict

Votes: 19 41.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
For all you lazies:

I simply don't believe him. Logistically, how do they plan on putting on this home match in 19 days? No ticket sales, no location...

It's going to be RBA and they're just struggling how to put a positive spin on this.

If we play RBA for this match, you gotta think any future CCL matches will be there. And if the Mets and Yankees both make the playoffs?? Back to RBA again...

That’s my thought - not a national team, and not everybody’s favorite CR club, but everybody is a tribal follower of the club for a local match.

correct, this is not saprissa or alajelense or even herediano ( the countries biggest clubs). this is small team that also wont play in their own stadium. its not a huge pull from CR population i think.

I'd like to think of it as a sign of solidarity instead - they can't play in their own stadium, so we won't play in our own stadium to show support (support for what, idk, but... support!)
there! solved.

Reactions: snugglefarts
Just another stumble from the front office. This club constantly shoots itself in the foot. Just announce something as this point, because fans are already pissed off.

Either Sims is lying or they've had 4 months to get a location for this game and they're scrambling at the last minute to find a location. Both options are terrible IMO.

Feels like we just constantly take crap from this team, eat it down, and ask for more...

It's not fair to ask them to announce something when they don't have anything to announce yet. Sims is right, the contracts have to be signed before they can announce something. Fans of every sports team hear leaks long before the official announcement (Gerrit Cole was officially announced two weeks after reporters said it was done, for example). Obviously this is different than that, but it's not fair to ask them to announce something that isn't done yet. It's likely, but even 95% likelihood isn't something they can announce.

In criticism of the team, the fact they don't have a site locked down less than 20 days before the game is absolutely ridiculous. We are this close to the game and they don't even have a site -- much less the ability to promote it or sell tickets, this has been handled very unprofessionally.

Reactions: adam
Yeah I was at that game. Terrible experience. That area has a huge Costa Rican community. That was a national team game so maybe this won't be as big as a draw, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't have a 3 to 1 ratio to NYC fans.
I was at that game and there were a fair amount of Ticos there, but I think overall their numbers have been inflated by the public.

It just seemed like there were a lot more because they were a lot louder because the USMNT sucked, Costa Rica got ahead, and their fans that were there got loud. While at the same time, the AO supporters section was the most disorganized supporters section I've ever been in (and this was my opinion before Costa Rica took the lead).

Frankly, I am more dubious about Concacaf than I am about NYCFC.
This is kind of where I'm landing with this. If we end up at RBA, I'm almost certain its because it was the only real option available after every other potential venue was nixed either due to scheduling conflicts, owners flat out refusing, or CONCACAF/FIFA giving a disapproval.

That said, if that's the case, there's a way to announce that to the public and the fans and pretty much say, "Guys, this sucks, but it was the only thing we can do, our hands were tied. We're still trying hard on the stadium search, and this is what happens when we don't have a stadium yet. We're doing everything we can, but at this moment, this was the only site that FIFA/CONCACAF would approve."

Many people would still be pissed off, I wouldn't be one of them, but I get it. But that definitely beats having this leaked out from our opponent,

And they just announced RBA.

They are so slimy. Saying last night the deal isn't done, they're still looking at other options, the contract isn't signed ... then they announce it about 12 hours later. So slimy.

Reactions: hatt91 and adam
That said, there is a ray of light in their release:

If the Club advances past the Round of 16, either Yankee Stadium or Citi Field are available for subsequent rounds pending the Concacaf approval process.

And they just announced RBA.

They are so slimy. Saying last night the deal isn't done, they're still looking at other options, the contract isn't signed ... then they announce it about 12 hours later. So slimy.

free tickets for STHs

free tickets for STHs

and just $25 for non-STH.

Still don't know how I'd be able to make the game by 6:00 though.
However, I'll still try my best to go. (that's like peak rushhour right?)

Here's what Sams could have said last night: "Hi folks. We understand you've heard reports that we're playing at Red Bull Arena for this game. While we can't confirm anything tonight, we can tell you that we expect to have an announcement tomorrow, and that announcement is likely to confirm what you've heard. We know you're disappointed; we're disappointed, too. Here's what we're planning on doing for this game if it does, in fact, end up being Red Bull Arena."

Instead, Sims told the fans they were still searching for a venue in the city. Just terrible. One of these days they'll stop lying to their fans. Last night wasn't that day.

Disappointingly vanilla statement from Sims. The guy talks the talk when he meets with fans, but it doesn't seem to transfer to official club comms.

If every City Member gets a free ticket, does that mean we officially beat the Red Bulls' attendance for the same CCL tie last year?

Would it be easy for a city member to transfer their free ticket to a non-member, would want to go, but $25 and in Harrison might be a deal breaker for me

The meltdown some people are having over this is really surprising. I know there is a certain embarrassment factor for RB Arena, but in the end is it really more inconvenient than Coney Island or St. John's would have been? It's certainly a better place to watch and play soccer.

And ultimately, why are we all bitching so much? Would you rather be a Columbus Crew fan and have a mediocre stadium and a shitty team? We finished 2nd in the table last year, and are one of only 5 MLS teams even in this competition. We've had the best regular season performance in the league over the past four years. It's not perfect, but it's pretty fucking good.

The meltdown some people are having over this is really surprising. I know there is a certain embarrassment factor for RB Arena, but in the end is it really more inconvenient than Coney Island or St. John's would have been? It's certainly a better place to watch and play soccer.

And ultimately, why are we all bitching so much? Would you rather be a Columbus Crew fan and have a mediocre stadium and a shitty team? We finished 2nd in the table last year, and are one of only 5 MLS teams even in this competition. We've had the best regular season performance in the league over the past four years. It's not perfect, but it's pretty fucking good.
I agree for the most part, but I think more people are irritated that, despite knowing we would have this match about 6 months ago and had a specific date 2(?) Months ago, we are just now getting this announcement. Blame concacaf, blame the Yankees or whoever, but this is annoying.

I agree that playing at RBA isn't necessarily worth the complete freak-out. For me it's just the lying. Maybe the contract was signed at 11am this morning and they released the news immediately. But if so, they knew they were signing the contract this morning and went out and just did a total misdirection play at that event last night. That's what I struggle with - they continue to treat us like children.

I agree that playing at RBA isn't necessarily worth the complete freak-out. For me it's just the lying. Maybe the contract was signed at 11am this morning and they released the news immediately. But if so, they knew they were signing the contract this morning and went out and just did a total misdirection play at that event last night. That's what I struggle with - they continue to treat us like children.
This makes me question how much Sims had to do with the announcement this morning? I wonder if that was out of his control, and just yesterday he was told they were still looking at options?
If he knew they were signing it today that would be pretty annoying. Seems super weird that he'd say that and do a complete 360 not even 12 hours later.

Reactions: gbservis
Status
Not open for further replies.