Home - February 26 - San Carlos - CCL

Will You Attend The CCL "Home" Match at Red Bull Arena?

• Yes

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Unable Due to Conflict

Votes: 19 41.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
NYCFC secured a place in the 2020 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League in October after finishing top of the Eastern Conference during the 2019 MLS regular season. Due to Yankee Stadium and Citi Field undergoing unavoidable winterization procedures, the Club immediately identified numerous other potential venues within the five boroughs while working closely with Concacaf and MLS. Ultimately, none of the options the Club submitted were approved, leaving Red Bull Arena as the only approved venue within a reasonable distance of New York City.

That said, there is a ray of light in their release:
You’re again giving them too much credit. Maybe Concacaf will approve YS/Citi, but there’s zero guarantee, and that caveat is written in a way to totally overlook it. I could be wrong, but I fully expect Concacaf to not approve YS/Citi and it’s back to RBA.

I agree that playing at RBA isn't necessarily worth the complete freak-out. For me it's just the lying. Maybe the contract was signed at 11am this morning and they released the news immediately. But if so, they knew they were signing the contract this morning and went out and just did a total misdirection play at that event last night. That's what I struggle with - they continue to treat us like children.

I wasn't there last night, what lie did Sims tell?

You’re again giving them too much credit. Maybe Concacaf will approve YS/Citi, but there’s zero guarantee, and that caveat is written in a way to totally overlook it. I could be wrong, but I fully expect Concacaf to not approve YS/Citi and it’s back to RBA.

I can't imagine they would deny the team's home stadium like that. Yankee Stadium isn't perfect, but it's not that bad.

I wasn't there last night, what lie did Sims tell?

I think he's saying that Sims said no venue was confirmed cause no contracts were signed and they were still looking yet announced RBA this morning.

I feel like concacaf won't approve ys or citi either. Not cause of the field dimensions, but because of some other regulation they want met and either can't be met at ys or the Yankees won't allow to be met for whatever reason. .. guess we'll see. Our first task is getting to the next round.

Some more details in this Twitter thread: This appears like it was not NYCFC's decision. They were "fighting it to the end." It appears CONCACAF basically chose this stadium.

Like I mentioned in my earlier post, I'm sure the club's backs were against the wall on this decision. But just come out and say that.

Or if you don't want to admit it in a public statement, leak that to someone and have them run with it from a "club source"

And we know that was a lie?

The part about the contract not being signed yet was (probably) true. The part about them still holding out hope they would find a spot in NYC? They knew this was being finalized this morning.

It seems like this decision was made by CONCACAF. Which is fine, that's how it goes sometimes. I'm not even angry about them playing the game there, just don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

Reactions: hatt91 and adam
The part about the contract not being signed yet was (probably) true. The part about them still holding out hope they would find a spot in NYC? They knew this was being finalized this morning.

It seems like this decision was made by CONCACAF. Which is fine, that's how it goes sometimes. I'm not even angry about them playing the game there, just don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

i still think they never submitted YS / Citi as bids. Only St Johns was submitted and MCU was probably way to pricey ( 400K? lol) to even try this. CT was probably not even given a thought. thats why they give idea that they were forced.....which is technically true but i dont think it was because of lack of options.

if we do make it thru and YS is used then we know now what we cant use come CCL First Round.

i still think they never submitted YS / Citi as bids. Only St Johns was submitted and MCU was probably way to pricey ( 400K? lol) to even try this. CT was probably not even given a thought. thats why they give idea that they were forced.....which is technically true but i dont think it was because of lack of options.

if we do make it thru and YS is used then we know now what we cant use come CCL First Round.

YS and Citi were unavailable for this game due to winterization, which the press release spells out.

lol i didnt even want to read the article...just saw RBA and said nope.......thanks for that.
I literally spelled it out above :)

This brings me back to the club just being incompetent or not giving a shit. The club built “one of the top training facilities in MLS” (paraphrased quote), which we all know is BS. You know what most of the top training facilities in MLS have? A small stadium for pre-season, cup matches and for their minor league affiliate. Even NJ has one. If we knew a stadium was years away (and the club sure did) and that USOC matches & now CCL matches would be an issue, why not build one of those in this world class training facility? And better yet build it and the facility in the 5 Boroughs so you can stay true to brand that the club plays all its matches in NYC? QBFC figured out how to put up a small venue in queens by public transportation. Why is it so hard for NYCFC with all its resources to do so over the last 5 years (and in Westchester at the very least)? Prob for the same reason Reyna and Dome probably left; because at the end of the day the hired staff (including sims) may be trying their damn best to give us the best product they can, but ownership who writes the checks just doesn’t give two shits about this club.

Reactions: Jock and Ulrich
YS and Citi were unavailable for this game due to winterization, which the press release spells out.
Winterization? Yeah, perhaps. Seems a bit made up.

I gave up long ago caring if YS has a legal sized field, but if it isn’t legal MLS is able to turn a blind eye to it being a single entity league; other teams have cried foul, but in the end the league could mandate is as league compliant. Concacaf is a different story. There wouldn’t be any exemptions from them for a narrow pitch, and YS “not being available” is an easier sell to maintain the charade than being available and not meeting the standards. Our FO gets zero rope on matters any longer, they may be saying next round they’re submitting YS/Citi, but as far as I’m concerned that’s all lip service until the venue is announced; they’ve twisted the truth so many times in the past that I expect them to lie to us while only submitting RBA to Concacaf for the next round.

All I want is for them to own it and be up front about it. They failed this time to get ahead of the story. There’s zero reason to believe they’ll do better next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.