Jersey Postmatch

FUCK
We were the better team in the first half but when you don't take your chances when your in control it generally comes back to bite you.

Awful having to listen to this with the Red Bull announcers . Cangolesi such a homer he almost jizzed his pants calling their goal. At every possible opportunity referring to them as "New York" and trying to play it off like the balance of play changed in the second half because Red Bull turned up their intensity and not because Maxi was off the field.

The announcers were so bad one of them said (verbatim): "Tommy McNamara is having such a great season this year with NYCFC he just just been called up to the Gold Cup provisional roster". It wasn't an attempt at humour.

We were atrocious last night. That we managed to create two scruffy chances in the first half doesn't justify how poor we were througout, including when Maxi was on the field.
TMac is a soggy beanbag of a player and should only be used against the worst of the MLS.
The White/Sweat combo has been used so far beyond it's shelf life it's a joke.
Harrison has regressed. Is that because of how pathetic White is outside of his defensive third, or because Mata creates space for him to operate with his ability to get forward, probably a combo of both.
Trying to pass it around the back and then playing route one football to two players that are generously listed as 5'3" and 5'9" is sickening and I'm tired of seeing it. I assume at this point we'll never see Villa played with a target man and that's a really a shame. Somehow the Curse of Adam Nemec lives on.

Hearing Shep Messing pronounce Muyl is my own personal hell.

View attachment 7158 View attachment 7159
The big miss last night was Rodney. His athleticism covers all manner of mistakes on the left and in midfield.

If anyone doesn't appreciate him, I hope they do now. His tireless and smart runs give Villa and Maxi a target and must be respected by his defenders. Without him, the whole back line can cheat to Jack's side.

Ucubed just can't do an impersonation of him. Pairing he and Sweat is just begging for trouble, as they are two of the least athletic MLS players in the league.

Ben Sweat must be the most inaptly named player in history. He so lazy. Being slow and untalented and lazy is no way to stay on an MLS roster.

We weren't good in the first half, but we were good enough to be up 1-0, not that we'd have had a prayer of holding out an entire half.

The positive takeaway here is I am sure any stragglers still whiteknuckling the edges of their seats on the rickety jalopy known as the TMac hype wagon have surely been jarred loose and bounced to the tarmac to join the rest of us to watch in continued dismay as he continues to be immune from criticism from the MLSperts.

Last edited:
I think the takeaways are at least 2: one is that our best XI is much better than NJ best XI, because the one they started last night IS their best XI minus Robles and maybe 1 defender. But they have much, much better depth than us. The guys they had available to sub in (Royer, Davis, Veron, etc) were all competent, athletic enough, MLS level guys, whereas our first off the bench guys are quite disappointing. For me, the only guys off the bench who are acceptable are JLew, Brillant (overpaid but serviceable), and whatever is left of Pirlo. Lopez in very tiny doses. Okoli maybe or maybe not. Khiry maybe, since he's at least athletic. All the others: Camargo, Stertzer, TMac, Sweat, Allen, are absolutely useless. And you have to wonder how bad Gomez and Awuah would have to be to be behind these guys on the depth chart. An insult to soccer, maybe. So yeah, we have a huge depth problem, which is difficult to solve without an academy.

My personal hell was hearing him pronounce "Villa" as if he were a house you would rent in France or the brother of Bob.
He got it right when he pronounced David in the English manner. If it weren't that I just don't think Shep is smart enough to intentionally do it, I'd have thought it s troll.

You could argue that this is the kind of complacency behind the fact that we didn't win tonight, or that we've never won at RBA, and probably won't win there next weekend.

Or maybe I'm wrong. Everything's fine. Team selection and management was fine. Brillant was fine. Performance was fine. Result was fine. Why worry?

thing is there was no one else to pick....keep in mind we can only have 5 non americans in this team.....so we were pretty limited in that area....our american based players are not as good as we thought.

chanot was still injured.....we have no other CB in team. you could improvise and move white to CB and then have RJ on right....would that have made it better? or gomes on RB?

its not complacency .....we do want that win and we went for it hit the post twice .....then maxi was out and we had no answer .....there is no one else that can have the dynamic.....yes stertzer was the blunder PV made....but outside of that maybe take out tommy ?

having mata, chanot, herrera, maxi, wallace in lineup can definitely give a new dynamic to the team. i am still confident we can still get a result in 9 days.

thing is there was no one else to pick....keep in mind we can only have 5 non americans in this team.....so we were pretty limited in that area....our american based players are not as good as we thought.

chanot was still injured.....we have no other CB in team. you could improvise and move white to CB and then have RJ on right....would that have made it better? or gomes on RB?

its not complacency .....we do want that win and we went for it hit the post twice .....then maxi was out and we had no answer .....there is no one else that can have the dynamic.....yes stertzer was the blunder PV made....but outside of that maybe take out tommy ?

having mata, chanot, herrera, maxi, wallace in lineup can definitely give a new dynamic to the team. i am still confident we can still get a result in 9 days.

Exactly, we were so strapped for players in this game, we had 3 goalies in the 18.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Surprised at the number of people who seem to think "We fielded a team capable of winning the match" is the same as "We put in an acceptable performance" or "We are taking this rivalry/tournament seriously"

Reactions: Gotham Gator
Surprised at the number of people who seem to think "We fielded a team capable of winning the match" is the same as "We put in an acceptable performance" or "We are taking this rivalry/tournament seriously"

Fair enough. Those are two different things.

I didn't see the first half. I caught most of the second, which was not pretty, but seemed mostly due to having backups scattered around the positions needed to break the press.

they are not.....the performance was bad second half....but we did field the best possible team....was working for first half..we lost our best creator and PV messed up a sub and honestly no one else was there to change anything because we dont have a player close to that...i dont know what counts more than that...both teams took best possible XI.

what else aside from winning what would it take to "take rivalry seriously" are you assuming any team that loses any rivalry game did not take the game/ rivalry seriously?

this was a much better mindset than last year....it didnt work out....concerned we may have lost our DP.....guess what next year is world cup year....probably more players will be longer gone and will have limited squad again...will we not take a rivalry seriously again? because players were called up to national teams?

Have people said that here?

Can't understand the brillant hate or putting the blame on the defense. They gave up one goal. You cannot expect a clean sheet every game in soccer, shit happens. That ball deflects anywhere else and its a moot point. RB scored on a lucky bounce. Our luck went the other way twice.

This game was contested in the midfield. The battle in there for quality chances was great and we were winning it slightly in the first half, despite playing with two midfielders and a spectator in ours. The stertzer sub absolutely drove me nuts. I dont blame him, but he was put into a losing situation, he's not a possession MF. he's not a tight space dribbler and tackler. The midfield was on a razors edge and losing maxi was going to hurt any way you look at it. Harrison is one of your best players, and he's a possession player. He can dribble and tackle. He should have moved in for maxi, and lewis on the right.

I give up on Lopez, I don't know how Vieira can watch him play and keep putting him out there. He does't stop anyone from doing anything on defense. He doesnt even try to close anyone down, he stands 10 feet off and bends over. Thats his only move. The team continues to avoid him on offense. Hes the worst player in any sport ive ever watched.

TMac has regressed so far from last year its ridiculous. He's like chuck knoblauch this year, he cant even complete a simple pass.

i think we'll be fine since we were equal to them in the first half despite playing a B+ side. Our XI is best in the league, the frustration comes from we could have won despite all that, and got very unlucky on both ends and with injury.

(On the positive side, it was great watching their bitch Felipe whine all night, will be nice to be in his head for a week before next game)

We will still have Open Cup roster problems until we have a NYCFC2 USL affiliate. If Stertzer played some minutes between March and June PV he would have either been more effective or PV would know he isn't a 1-1 sub for Maxi or both.

Can't understand the brillant hate or putting the blame on the defense.

HOW CAN YOU NOT? This game was tough. This game was a battle. We missed our chances so it probably should have finished 0-0. That opportunity was left on the table when Sean Johnson sends that ball out to Brillant under pressure. I fault Sean more than I fault Brillant and I can't stand Brillant. Sean HAS to know that that is not the play to make. He is guaranteed to screw that situation up every time. The keeper is responsible for organizing the back line and sending that ball was the death knell.

I completely lost my shit in the stands. Take all of your individual frustrations and add on top of that a ridiculous amount of time spent on work behind the scenes FOR FREE and all you hope for in return is a win...

That's how I'm feeling. It really sucks.

HOW CAN YOU NOT? This game was tough. This game was a battle. We missed our chances so it probably should have finished 0-0. That opportunity was left on the table when Sean Johnson sends that ball out to Brillant under pressure. I fault Sean more than I fault Brillant and I can't stand Brillant. Sean HAS to know that that is not the play to make. He is guaranteed to screw that situation up every time. The keeper is responsible for organizing the back line and sending that ball was the death knell.

I completely lost my shit in the stands. Take all of your individual frustrations and add on top of that a ridiculous amount of time spent on work behind the scenes FOR FREE and all you hope for in return is a win...

That's how I'm feeling. It really sucks.
Yeah, he royally fucked that up, but is he really the reason we lost last night? Or is it moreso that our midfield was overrun, we were out-possessed 57-43, etc. Before the NJRB goal in the second half, the guy next to me leaned over and blatantly said, "we haven't crossed midfield yet".

Brillant had 10 clearances, 4 interceptions, and 4 blocks. And yes, one massive fuckup that led to their goal. NJRB had 11 corners last night. ELEVEN. And they scored on 0 of them, this a team that thrives on free-kick goals.

I'm not saying Brillant is the greatest defender ever or do I want him in our usual starting XI. All I'm saying is we cannot simply blame that guy for losing 1-0.

In a game which we had a player in the box 1v1 with the keeper and can't score. A game where we honestly did not generate a ton of chances.

I'm not sure how one could say we were doing well in the first half. We were beaten on possession. There's no heat map to go on but the passing stats are extraordinarily bad. To my eyes it was more that Ring is a grade A stud and broke Red Bull up when they weren't breaking themselves, and Maxi was able to find occasional space when he was unmolested. But at what point did we ever have extended meaningful possession in their attacking half.

I don't think PV could've gotten the lineup significantly better but the team just didn't deliver (outside of Lord Ring and Maxi)

All I'm saying is we cannot simply blame that guy for losing 1-0.

I don't "blame" him. We all can see that he's awful. Sean made a poor decision playing that ball to him.

Being beat in possession I don't care about. We generally dominate possession and we've lost plenty of tough games where we won that battle 57-43 percent. Sean to Brillant is absolutely the reason we LOST the game in regular time. Everything else minus that play and we finish 0-0. .