New Jersey - Postmatch

Nice to listen to a press conference and learn a decent amount about the game, rather than feeling like I lost brain cells. Dude may have a problem with being long winded but I'm listening.
"What are your thoughts on X player?" "I think he played with a lot of passion, but all the players in the squad work hard for their place and makes it tough for me to decide."
"How can you see our performances improve in the future?" "Well, I think we need to play with a lot of passion, and all the players in the squad need to work hard for their place and make it tough for me to decide the starting XI."
"Who played the best game tonight?"
"Maxi. He played with a lot of passion."
I just summed up every PV press conference for you. You're welcome :)
(I removed quite a few 'really quite pleased' to save room)

I think back to last year - when we had great success against the Red Bulls. Our approach was a mixture of playing out of the back and being more direct. We kicked it long against them more than we typically did that season. Kind of like we did against Dallas this season (for example).

For some reason we were more stubborn about building from the back in our two meetings this year, and the results speak for themselves. This game was really the opposite. Almost no attempt to build from the back. I will be honest that I'm not sure that's the best approach either - especially given the success we had mixing it up last year. However, with a new coach and no Villa, maybe the decision was to just play over them.

You've always got to ask why you're building from the back.

Is it to play more attractive soccer? I mean sure, that's a good thing when it works, but fans would probably rather get a win in this game.

Is it to defend by playing keepaway? RBNY's entire attack is based on pressing and quick transitions. They're bad in possession, so the best way to defend them is to counterpress high, like Lewis did to get the goal.

Is it to do all that good juego de posición shit about structuring the buildup and establishing an attacking set? Yeah, well, that's the dream. Vieira never quite got us that far (see here). Domè might eventually, but it'll take time and a first-choice lineup. We didn't have those luxuries last night.

The only other reason I can see for passing it around the back is to invite the press in order to stretch the opposition and create space to play over the top. That might be an argument for the kind of mixed approach that you're talking about if RBNY's pressure wasn't turned up to eleven all the time. When they've already got six or eight guys sprinting at you in your own half, there's nothing to invite. So why dick around on the ball? Just play those long diagonals Ring was dishing out last night and make them sprint back to defend.

Last edited:
Mark Cannizaro wrote the article, as can be easily seen in the first tweet you posted. The guy you're going on about took the photo that accompanied the article.
This is the photo. It is incredibly biased:
View attachment 8853
Am I doing it right?
giphy.gif

The Post is using a pro-Red Bull photographer and the story is how the Red Bulls lost the game rather than how NYCFC won it. I guess The Post and their readership is based in NJ. :eek:

The Post is using a pro-Red Bull photographer and the story is how the Red Bulls lost the game rather than how NYCFC won it. I guess The Post and their readership is based in NJ. :eek:

did the post even care about the RB before nycfc? serious question. i mean two small pargraphs doesnt count

did the post even care about the RB before nycfc? serious question. i mean two small pargraphs doesnt count

Kyle Schnitzer did some nice stuff for us for the Post. And it was NYCFC centric. I'm really confused why Cannizzaro is writing about soccer. He's a football guy through and through. The Jets beat writer. And he does golf in the football offseason (nice gig). Guess they wanted to throw some warm bodies at soccer for the derby match (it's actually a nice gesture to put such a seasoned reporter on it), but really not sure how much he actually knows about the game itself.

Sorry if already mentioned, but Ethan White was working the lens yesterday, photog vest and all.
Confirmed in the "Behind the scenes" video:
at 2:18.
Which leads me to believe he wasn't let go, but rather it was a mutual agreement. If so, it's kind of sad because I thought he was very good when he had an on-day, but it's nice to see him around still!

Highlight of the Day: When they played this on the video board before the New Jersey starting 11...

Lame... I mean that show is not even filmed in New York.... And it sort of doesnt put The Bronx in a.nice way.

"Ted, Barney, Colleen and Lindsay are in a cab on their way to the party, Ted questions where they are going and is terrified to learn they are heading for the South Bronx. His fears are confirmed as they end up giving descriptions to the Police of three guys who have apparently mugged them."

Which leads me to believe he wasn't let go, but rather it was a mutual agreement. If so, it's kind of sad because I thought he was very good when he had an on-day, but it's nice to see him around still!

the feeling i got from online twitter / reddit is that it was the case, he wanted to pursue photography etc

im sure someone would of picked him up if he wanted to keep playing

Isn't that less sad than him being let go? Win win vs win loss?

Reactions: Kjbert
I mean, the photographer has to be one place where you can use a biased individual, no? Was that photo biased in any way?

The article does seem to be written from a NJ standpoint, but I don't see anything wrong with it. It just looks like it's an article that was intended to cater to NJ fans. I didn't see anything within it that is egregiously different from how the game played out.

I mean, the photographer has to be one place where you can use a biased individual, no? Was that photo biased in any way?

The article does seem to be written from a NJ standpoint, but I don't see anything wrong with it. It just looks like it's an article that was intended to cater to NJ fans. I didn't see anything within it that is egregiously different from how the game played out.

Cannizzaro is a beat writer. He writes from the perspective of the team he follows. But he doesn’t skew facts. He calls out the Jets all season long and if my memory goes back far enough, he used to do that to the Knicks as well. Look at the article from the day before: https://nypost.com/2018/07/07/nycfc-red-bulls-meet-amid-upheaval-for-both-squads/ All his quotes are Redbull quotes. He’s covering their side.

If I had to bet, there’s a old sports editor at the Post. He doesn’t like soccer but sees the kids are paying attention and it needs a few words. Kyle has been doing the NYCFC beat this season. So he yells as Cannizzaro “you busy with the golf? Go over to Harrison and write me a few hundred words on the Jersey team. They have a big match at Yankee stadium Sunday night.” And that’s that. You won’t see him again till next Derby when his editor says the same thing. Unless he has the Jets preseason as an excuse to wiggle out of it.

Between what I posted above and this, I just hate the Red Bulls. Everything about them. Every one of their players and fans. Before their 4-0 MLS win, the last time the Red Bulls beat NYCFC in MLS play was July 24, 2016. Hubris in New Jersey.

EDIT: Matt Doyle, retweeted the tweet below. Rag.

BWP's clapback was weak, but honestly this is the kind of personality and engagement I'm always begging MLS players to show more of. Glad it got attention, hope it encourages other players to follow suit.

BWP's clapback was weak, but honestly this is the kind of personality and engagement I'm always begging MLS players to show more of. Glad it got attention, hope it encourages other players to follow suit.
Especially between two teams that are participating in a derby.

Isn't that less sad than him being let go? Win win vs win loss?
I meant sad from a soccer perspective, bc being let go he can be picked up and continue. This case, he went on to become a photographer, which is really nice and I wish him all the best! ...But from a soccer standpoint, it's sad :p

Unfortantely, the only thing we'll get from Callens' CB partner on the night is a retweet of a bible quote or praising God. Chanot. Most predictable twitter account on NYCFC.

The first 10 minutes of this match looked like two 12U travel soccer teams going at it. Brutally bad soccer. But a W against those idiots is FANTASTIC.

Reactions: Kjbert
I'd take a couple of NYCFC scarves and skip the shirt. I believe they see wearing the team jersey as a kid thing, i.e., we've aged out of that being okay public attire.

Plus, you can probably trade your scarf with someone and have a conversation starter and a memento.

ETA: Then again, do whatever the hell you want. Sounds like a reasonable plan. And I definitely don't think the NYC shirt will cause you any particular grief.
I’ve been to a bunch of premier league games and there has never been a lack of adults in jerseys. Only full kit wankers get a second look.

I’ve been to a bunch of premier league games and there has never been a lack of adults in jerseys. Only full kit wankers get a second look.
K. Def not the case at Anfield. And since they are practically neighbors in the northwest, I’d bet it’s the same.

My favorite part about Torrent is that he has no ego. Vieira had an ego about playing out of the back. He never changed it because it had to work, it's the way he wanted to play. And he wanted to prove to everyone that his system is best.

Torrent doesn't have that problem. He wants to win, plain and simple. He believes in the system CFG has, but is willing to change things up on the day if the game dictates. That's a coach with no ego, and I love it.