Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
New York City FC at Atlanta United
Mercedes-Benz Stadium
Sunday, April 15th 6 PM ET
FS1, WNYC 91.5 FM, WADO 1280 AM
Stream on Fox Sports Go (with cable subscription)

REF: ALLEN CHAPMAN
AR1: JEREMY HANSON
AR2: CAMERON BLANCHARD
4TH: SORIN STOICA
VAR: KEVIN TERRY JR.

Big test coming in 4 days when we travel to Atlanta.
PV has some big decisions to make as well with his selection.
With where we sit on the table and the start we’ve had I’d love us to be aggressive and go for the win here.
Same lineup except Villa in for Berget and Ring for Ofori.
As Joe mentioned during tonight’s match there’s a chance we see Ben in the Atlanta game due to the larger field and PV possibly lining up more defensively.
Playing in that stadium with that crazy atmosphere I really think we need to play aggressive and go out there with the intention of taking it to them. Quiet the building and get them chasing the game.

If you put down a bet with that score line, you’d make a fortune if it happened, the odds of these two team drawing at zero is like a gagillion to one.
Not likely. Bet on MC to go through only paid 4/1.

ETA - but will check it out.

We really have to have the advantage on paper in this game. ATL's defense isn't nearly as strong as ours, even if our attacks are similar in output. Plus, we have the better keeper. What ATL is really lacking is that defensive destroyer, and if they play Larientowicz as a 6, we have a chance to really outrun them on the counter.

During the RSL post game press conference, Vieira reiterated that it's about the team and not the individual player.

I don't think Villa starts on Sunday.
When villa tried that chip that missed by about 20 yards the camera went to PV and he just turned around and walked back to the bench.
Villa is definitely chasing glory right now and he took this game, and the lead, as a free shot at it.

New York City FC at Atlanta United
Mercedes-Benz Stadium
Sunday, April 15th 6 PM ET
FS1, WNYC 91.5 FM, WADO 1280 AM
Stream on Fox Sports Go (with cable subscription)

REF: ALLEN CHAPMAN
AR1: JEREMY HANSON
AR2: CAMERON BLANCHARD
4TH: SORIN STOICA
VAR: KEVIN TERRY JR.

Big test coming in 4 days when we travel to Atlanta.
PV has some big decisions to make as well with his selection.
With where we sit on the table and the start we’ve had I’d love us to be aggressive and go for the win here.
Same lineup except Villa in for Berget and Ring for Ofori.
As Joe mentioned during tonight’s match there’s a chance we see Ben in the Atlanta game due to the larger field and PV possibly lining up more defensively.
Playing in that stadium with that crazy atmosphere I really think we need to play aggressive and go out there with the intention of taking it to them. Quiet the building and get them chasing the game.
I would be open to Ofori for Herrera. Or push Medina into the middle so he sees more of the ball.

Berget - Villa - Shradi
Medina - Ring - Maxi
Mata - Callens - Chanot - Tinnerholm
Johnson

I'm starting to think Berget gives us Wallace's hustle and physicality, but he makes far more dangerous runs and it looks like he's found his touch. Plus he blinds defenders with his luminous legs.

Has anyone seen much of Atlanta this year? Can we sacrifice Herrera's physicality to squeeze more attacking players on to the pitch?

I would be open to Ofori for Herrera. Or push Medina into the middle so he sees more of the ball.

Berget - Villa - Shradi
Medina - Ring - Maxi
Mata - Callens - Chanot - Tinnerholm
Johnson

I'm starting to think Berget gives us Wallace's hustle and physicality, but he makes far more dangerous runs and it looks like he's found his touch. Plus he blinds defenders with his luminous legs.

Has anyone seen much of Atlanta this year? Can we sacrifice Herrera's physicality to squeeze more attacking players on to the pitch?

I'm not willing to lose Herrera's physicality. I think our best lineup is:

Shradi-Villa-Medina
-------Moralez------
----Ring-Herrera----
Mata-Callens-Chanot-Tinnerholm
-----Johnson---------

It's nice to have these options.

I'm not willing to lose Herrera's physicality. I think our best lineup is:

Shradi-Villa-Medina
-------Moralez------
----Ring-Herrera----
Mata-Callens-Chanot-Tinnerholm
-----Johnson---------

It's nice to have these options.
I feel you. I guess today I didn't feel like Herrera was all that instrumental in helping us move the ball. Hence the Ofori for Herrera suggestion. It could have just been a one game thing, but it had me reminded of Herrera's 3-5 passes per game that just seem to disrupt our possession of the ball.

The depth on this team is just insane. Players that were regularly in the starting XI can't even sniff the 18 anymore.

I think you have to start Herrera over Ofori in the midfield.

We could have a bench of Wallace, Berget, Ofori, Tommy, Ibeagha, and Sweat. All of them are starters on most MLS teams.

I feel you. I guess today I didn't feel like Herrera was all that instrumental in helping us move the ball. Hence the Ofori for Herrera suggestion. It could have just been a one game thing, but it had me reminded of Herrera's 3-5 passes per game that just seem to disrupt our possession of the ball.
Herrera moved the ball, not like Maxi, but as an outlet when another player was in danger of losing it - giving the ball to him gives the other team little chance of taking it away. More importantly, Herrera won a ton of balls with just pure physical muscle. That's an attribute few other midfield players in the league can claim (at his level of).

The depth on this team is just insane. Players that were regularly in the starting XI can't even sniff the 18 anymore.

I think you have to start Herrera over Ofori in the midfield.

We could have a bench of Wallace, Berget, Ofori, Tommy, Ibeagha, and Sweat. All of them are starters on most MLS teams.
we've basically blooded (with serious game minutes) a starting 11 plus 5 others that have deputized for actual games, and that doesn't even include spot minutes given to outlier players like Awuah/TMac/Tall CB dude. Having essentially 16 starters is pretty solid when in a pinch with injuries.

You need Herrera on Sunday. Herrera's physicality is needed to match their pace in their counter. Don't fool around with that. They may stink defensively but this is an incredibly talented offensive team.

I also think Herrera is a must. He's much more aggressive and decisive than Ofori. His recoveries in the opposing third are one of our best chances to score against the run of play. But I'm wondering if Berget as target forward (to win long clearances if ATL puts us under pressure) and Villa on the wing may be a good option, as much as I love Tajouri.

Status
Not open for further replies.