K19 Makes The U23 Usmnt

I'm kind of new to the fandom aspect of MLS. Do we want our stars to play for the National Team even though it means they miss matches? Wouldn't it be best to have players that are really good but don't break into the squad?

Facing better international competition helps development and exposure. Sure you lose them for a few games, but there is more to gain in the long run. If not for his time in the USMNT, I don't think a player like Mix would be in playing for NYCFC.

Klinnsman is weird... these friendlies were suppose to be for European and Mexican players. So of course he goes and says he wants to field his strongest team. So now you got some US players there along with some vets and newbies. I think Mix is still in his plans long term. He is becoming one of the best midfielders in MLS... just look at his passing stats.

Not a Klinsi hater, but I gave up trying to understand the guy. As long as we win the Gold Cup and other awards I don't care.

Happy for Khiry though... I called it a few days ago on the CONCACAF thread :D

Yes, not losing Mix!

That is huge on the one hand and insulting on the other, Mix is playing great.

Losing Shelton hurts but I'm still confident in Mullins. Might we see Tony Taylor return with Shelton gone?

Yeah, I appreciate Klinsmann's fire to get better and always attack, attack, attack but what he says and what he does are two different things.

He says we can't win a world cup for a long time yet but then demands our best players be in Europe and seems to be an outright enemy of MLS.

Well, if we can't win for a long time, why not encourage our best players to join MLS to strengthen the league because a strong MLS, a strong domestic league, is our best chance of winning a WC long-term.

Or not even encourage but at least don't discourage players from going to MLS. Especially right now when the league is really close to a tipping point of being something great.

I think Mix is left behind because Kreis begged out of it. that, and/or the fact that he's going to be gone for the Gold Cup likely has something to do with it.

The real team getting screwed is Toronto, but with no Boyd, I'm guessing Klinsy felt like he absolutely had to have Jozy. Jozy is the only guy with a new club who is on that roster (not counting Yedlin and his 0 apps).

I just read an article on how very few of the U23 are actually getting playing time. I look through the list, most are at far flung European clubs, probably all sitting the bench. One or two at some Mexican clubs.

Then you have guys like Shelton, Luis Gil and Will Trapp who play regularly alongside guys like David Villa, soon Frank Lampard, Frederico Higuain, Kyle Beckerman, ect.

I will always think its better to be actually playing in a so-so league regularly than sitting the bench in a great one.

Reactions: NYCFCfan and Kjbert
Who's to say that young talent will play in MLS either?

Look at Gil and Fagundez last year. Mullins and Tommy Thompson. MLS is not exactly overflowing with up and coming young talent. Where are the 18 year old wunderkinds? Sure MLS has some early 20's playing and starring (Cubo Torres for one), but we need to identify and develop younger.

I think Mix is left behind because Kreis begged out of it. that, and/or the fact that he's going to be gone for the Gold Cup likely has something to do with it.

The real team getting screwed is Toronto, but with no Boyd, I'm guessing Klinsy felt like he absolutely had to have Jozy. Jozy is the only guy with a new club who is on that roster (not counting Yedlin and his 0 apps).
Correcting myself: Brek Shea is on there. But that is another need position & audition for Gold Cup. It's also worth noting that he's coming back to a league, whereas Mix is playing outside of Norway for the first time.

There are plenty of box to box mids, so I'm not at all offended that Mix isn't on the roster. I'm glad Danny Williams is getting a run out. Hopefully, he doesn't get stuck out wide.

A little surprised that Rubin is on the senior roster. Not that we don't need him, but surely he's going to the U-20 World Cup. Again, it is almost certainly a function of not having any forwards.

Reactions: Kjbert
A little surprised that Rubin is on the senior roster. Not that we don't need him, but surely he's going to the U-20 World Cup. Again, it is almost certainly a function of not having any forwards.
Klinsi did say some of the younger players will be rotating between the different teams since everyone is in Europe. So maybe Rubin trains with the Men's team, but plays for the u20. He mentioned Julian Green by name, so I expect him to suit up for the u23, if needed... they only brought 19 members.

It's going to be a busy year for US soccer.

Who's to say that young talent will play in MLS either?

Look at Gil and Fagundez last year. Mullins and Tommy Thompson. MLS is not exactly overflowing with up and coming young talent. Where are the 18 year old wunderkinds? Sure MLS has some early 20's playing and starring (Cubo Torres for one), but we need to identify and develop younger.
???

They're more likely to play in MLS. MLS is built to give Americans a shot. You have to have so many domestic players on your roster.

As for the league not overflowing with young talent, maybe you missed Don Garber gathering the media a couple months ago to blast Klinsmann because MLS academies are being raided left and right by Mexican and European clubs?

Our Academy system is still young but to see players like Yedlin, Mapp, Shipp, Trapp, Gil, Villareal, Shelton, Mullins, Zardes, Jamieson, Thompson all entering the league around the same time, all having an impact, its a huge surge from how it used to be.

13 of FC Dallas' 23 man roster are homegrown or picked up via the college draft. They're the best team in MLS right now. Their two goal scorers yesterday were homegrown and added to the club in 2012 and 2014.

I did say MLS has some early 20's that are doing well. But what you really want to see are more guys like Yedlin (at the time, a u20 difference-maker) in your league. 22-23 year olds should be starting. But where are the 18-19 years old getting playing time in MLS? Except for Yedlin (and he is gone) I don't see too many. Fagundez is probably the best in this group and he was buried last year by NE and only starting because JJ is hurt. A real nice player like Thompson doesn't even get on the field for the mediocre Quakes.

So if you are an u20, you might as well go to Germany or England. That's why the big names on the u17 and u20 team play abroad. At least you can get better development and take a shot at a world-class team. If you fail, come back to MLS as a 22-23 y.o. when you are more likely to play anyways.

Of course this is now... I think the USL will make a huge difference. We'll see how that works out.

Harder to get the same amount of 18-19 year olds like in Europe because of the amount of kids playing for college teams
Exactly. I had to step out but soccer in this country doesn't have good odds of giving you retirement level cash. You need something to fall back on. So a lot of American kids still want to go to college just in case.