K19 Makes The U23 Usmnt

MLS is not exactly overflowing with up and coming young talent. Where are the 18 year old wunderkinds?
Playing in college. MLS' developmental system isn't comparable to the rest of the world. The majority of your talent is playing half-year seasons in college, which not only stunts your development, but also means you don't play pro ball until 22 or 23. Jordan Morris is in Seattle's system, but he's playing College ball. He's the first college kid to receive a call up to the Senior national team in YEARS.

Don't get me started on the crappy way the US develops talent for the national team. Although Rubio Rubin, Emerson Hyndman, Cameron Carter-Vickers, and Erik Palmer-Brown are all guys who have major talent, and only one of them is in MLS. There are some big-time talents, but MLS isn't a great outlet for most of them right now.

Playing in college. MLS' developmental system isn't comparable to the rest of the world. The majority of your talent is playing half-year seasons in college, which not only stunts your development, but also means you don't play pro ball until 22 or 23. Jordan Morris is in Seattle's system, but he's playing College ball. He's the first college kid to receive a call up to the Senior national team in YEARS.

Don't get me started on the crappy way the US develops talent for the national team. Although Rubio Rubin, Emerson Hyndman, Cameron Carter-Vickers, and Erik Palmer-Brown are all guys who have major talent, and only one of them is in MLS. There are some big-time talents, but MLS isn't a great outlet for most of them right now.
Our system definitely needs changes and they are coming. College is going to be switching to a full academic year season for instance.

However, even in its current state, the best players were always playing for another club/academy/national team during the offseason. Its not like they were just playing the college season and hanging out til the next college season.

College ball is always going to be an option here, a big option, and I think that's great. If support for college soccer reaches support like college football or basketball, it'd be a tremendous asset in developing kids and getting kids into the sport.

Our system definitely needs changes and they are coming. College is going to be switching to a full academic year season for instance.

However, even in its current state, the best players were always playing for another club/academy/national team during the offseason. Its not like they were just playing the college season and hanging out til the next college season.

College ball is always going to be an option here, a big option, and I think that's great. If support for college soccer reaches support like college football or basketball, it'd be a tremendous asset in developing kids and getting kids into the sport.
I agree with this. I love seeing the MLS players come from college. The system needs some tweaking though.

Reactions: Kjbert