Kreis Officially Out At NYCFC

we don't have the right players, too many CM's who are not great defensively, no pace on the wings, as for our defence we have no organisation and no leaders. Could have done with a good striker as well. whoever is responsible for recruitment whether it is Kreis or someone else has to be held responsible. hopefully it was Kreis

It doesn't matter at all who made the decision. IF it is true that the expectation was to make playoffs and he agreed to that stipulation and it clearly wasn't met then it doesn't matter who fired him.
Honestly with how fired up the chats get during games and even before when lineups come out in surprised we have as many as we do on #TeamKreis
A vocal minority (in either direction) tends to overwhelm casual support pretty regularly. I had stopped coming here for a while because this place gets exhausting with often baseless negativity.

Nah, bro. Great post and I respect the perspective but... nahhhhhhhh, bro.

- Neds stat box is misleading. Just look at this. You might see 86% passing completion and think that's "effective" football. It's not when you scroll down and see style of play as layoffs and short passes. One key thing they left out... BACKWARDS. Even looking at overall ratings over the season, Ned is at 22... down with a group that was either injured or just didn't get much playing time. For 1884 minutes, he has managed 2 goals in a lightning strike game and 1 assist. Poku has 4 goals 6 assists and an 81% PSR in 983 minutes...

- True on Mix but he is young and capable. That will be a great measure of what this next coach is made of; if he can direct Mix into the player that he is supposed to be.

- Nobody that I recall hated Mullins. The guy has been fantastic for us in his limited time!

These guys can play. There is no doubt about that. They are not speedsters but their cunning far outweighs their lack of speed. So, as "old" as they may be, they can still contribute greatly.

- He didn't need to get a on a mic and scream but he needed to show leadership. I never SAW it in any form. I said the same thing about Iraola. Is he a leader? Yes. His career proves that. Was he the right kind of leader here? Nope. Thus, he was quickly shuttled to the bench.

- "At one stage in his career." Interesting, different rule set for Pirlo and Lampard. Let's chalk this one up to misspeaking. Wingert was the type of player that you built a team up WITH, not around. Around implies that the subject is the center piece.

- They're world class. Period. They didn't just dominate on arrival but that's a good thing. The league is competitive and coaches know how to adjust tactics. Saying Pirlo is not world class and he just played a CL Final is absurd. Same for Lampard. He is a world class player. Still.

The next coach will have certainly have his hands full but he will also have a much greater frame of reference.

I was about to reply, but then I saw this great post. doctorhoosier doctorhoosier have a read.

With this one simple statement you've lost any credibility that you had left. If you truly believe this, then you don't understand this game.
I'm obviously just gutted that I've lost credibility with you. But Medhi Ballouchy is one of the few CMs who can play Grabavoy's role, and Ballouchy is not at all a competent player. McNamara is exclusively an attacking player, and doesn't have a role with Pirlo, Lampard, and Mix on the field.

I like you because you did a tremendous job with those kit mockups. But I'm honestly not all that concerned if you disagree with me - no, I'm not on the gross Grabavoy hatejerk that's taken over this board for months, and have no intention of being. He's a limited but useful player, just like 90% of the roster.

I was about to reply, but then I saw this great post. doctorhoosier doctorhoosier have a read.
And already read and responded.

I just have have to disagree with anyone who says Grabavoy and Wingert were anything but awful this season.
Who's saying that? I'm saying they weren't good, but they were better than most of our other options. Wingert's better than Watson-Siriboe, and Grabavoy is probably quite a bit better than Ballouchy.

They're limited players, but we didn't exactly have a ton of options. Even if you accept the excessive "Poku is god" narrative and throw him into the starting lineup every game, Grabavoy is still your best CM with *any* defensive discipline coming off the bench.

I loved watching Poku and think he's a *tremendously* useful MLS player in the right system, but he alone is not the difference between us sucking ass and making the playoffs. We were four or five players short of a decent roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene
Who's saying that? I'm saying they weren't good, but they were better than most of our other options. Wingert's better than Watson-Siriboe, and Grabavoy is probably quite a bit better than Ballouchy.

They're limited players, but we didn't exactly have a ton of options. Even if you except the excessive "Poku is god" narrative and throw him into the starting lineup every game, Grabavoy is still your best CM with *any* defensive discipline coming off the bench.

I'm with you w/r/t Ballouchy but the Grabavoy hate really went into high gear when he started over Mix. There's simply no excusing that outside of injury.

Claudio Reyna is a "soccer" man. Baseball fans will understand that reference.

He's captained the USMNT. He played abroad when it wasn't common to see Americans playing abroad. He's run the Youth program for the USNT. He's succeeded in all of those roles.

To suggest that he is "incompetent," while agreeing that the manager's tactical and formation decisions this year were troubling, makes me scratch my head.

I'm with you w/r/t Ballouchy but the Grabavoy hate really went into high gear when he started over Mix. There's simply no excusing that outside of injury.
I'm not arguing that you start him over Mix, for the record, but there were *several* pieces written arguing that starting Grabavoy over Mix was a net positive move.

1: http://www.hudsonriverblue.com/2015/8/7/9114637/mixed-up
2: http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2015/...referral&utm_content=News&utm_campaign=Unpaid

That's two just from a cursory Google search, and I remember a couple more that I don't have the time to look for today.

No, it's not a move that I agree with, but I also don't know that it's as cut and dry as you'd think. That says more about a seriously underperforming Mix than it does about Grabavoy, who, again, is a *very limited but useful player*.

Reactions: Gene
Wingert being played over Angelino at the end of the year was a bit odd to me.
After the Orlando game NYCFC told reporters he was hurt, although he never made the MLS injury list. My guess is that he didn't play the last game to eliminate the possibility of him getting hurt again in a meaningless game just before he was due to go to England. Of course that doesn't explain why he was on the 18, but we've seen odder things with this club this year.

I would hate to think that at one point we had one of the best coaches in MLS. This is the same feeling I had when the Redbulls gave up on Bob Bradley, and Bruce Arena. This whole situation is just a shame really the way it ended. Kreis is all respect, and professionalism and I have no doubt he will be very successful in Toronto or whoever he goes. My money is on Toronto.

Reactions: whill4
I would hate to think that at one point we had one of the best coaches in MLS. This is the same feeling I had when the Redbulls gave up on Bob Bradley, and Bruce Arena. This whole situation is just a shame really the way it ended. Kreis is all respect, and professionalism and I have no doubt he will be very successful in Toronto or whoever he goes. My money is on Toronto.
Didn't you also think that way when they dumped Petke? Which made you switch to NYCFC? But then the replacement was better? Are you mad you switched?