Kreis Officially Out At NYCFC

In many ways Kreis reminded me a lot like Brendan Rodgers at Liverpool.

They both used the same playing style and tactics and wouldnt change from it even though it wasnt working.

Rodgers was lucky he had suarez that year but otherwise did nothing. He paid the price for poor results.

Kreis you could argue was a bit different in that he took control of an expansion club, however he had plenty of time to build his roster and selected some very ordinary players.

I couldnt see anything from him to tell me that he could turn things around so CFG were right to dismiss him.
Yeah, I mean he could go out and spend hundreds of millions of dollars acquiring any player he wanted his first and only season just like Rogers.

And like Brendan Rogers, he got only one year.

And like Rogers, the team acquired players he specifically asked them not to.

Oh wait.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I really want to know why he played and benched certain guys. From his mouth, not speculation and not to criticize, just want to know.

I agree it was best to move on but I think it was the whole overlord dynamic that led him to check out early. He just knew this wasn't going to work with him. No excuse and not saying it won't work with someone else. Just my opinion: first year, with forced superstars and bottom of the barrel talent in certain positions. Just a mess that spiraled too far.

This team has a bright future, just some first year kinks

Reactions: NYdoesitEZ
"There's more than a passing resemblance to the 2007 our-Designated Players-will-solve-everything LA Galaxy. Then there's the 2012 Montreal Impact, who hired a young American coach in Jesse Marsch, only to realize he wasn't the guy they wanted to manage big European stars or even help build the roster."

I agree ^^
The Lampard thing unforgivable and Pirlo, as great as he is, wasn't the move to make.

Reactions: NYCFCFan10
My favorite paragraph:
At other MLS clubs, he’d get more time. Kreis won five games in his first season at the helm of RSL. Ben Olsen (D.C. United) and Jay Heaps (New England Revolution) each won only nine games in their first full seasons in charge and Peter Vermes won 14 of his first 42 games with Sporting Kansas City. All went on to have success. The Philadelphia Union say they’re sticking with Jim Curtin after another losing season and the Colorado Rapids seem to be happy with Pablo Mastroeni, who has won only 17 of 68 games as coach. But in the world in which CFG operates, Kreis had to go. It was a Premier League decision, not an MLS decision.

But, let's start over this coming season.

And after Lampard and Pirlo retire after this season, we'll effectively start over again the following season. What could go wrong?

Great.

Good thinking CFG! You guys are the best...

Hilarious that they picked Ferdinand out as what's wrong with our fanbase after just a quick scan of the forum.

It's really hard to argue with them on that one.
Yep. Really funny indeed. Expected it to be some of my bullshit.

Reactions: JayH
The way to get big soccer to like us, is to suck for eight years, then sneak into the playoffs on luck and lose the first game. Only after that will the MLS firsters (great phrase BTW) deem us worthy.
8 years?

To get that far with this ownership in 8 years will be a blessing...

The conventional wisdom in MLS is that foreign coaches can't coach effectively in MLS because of the complicated roster rules, salary caps, travel demands and youth talent pipeline and that the best coaches are those like Kreis who know the league and the American soccer scene. I think that was true for MLS 1.0 and 2.0 but its 2015 and MLS has changed for the better.

Today if you coach a big market team like Seattle, LA, NYCFC you need to be able to coach your superstars and Champions League veterans. Its a different MLS today than it was 5 years or 10 years ago. The fact that Kreis was a great Coach for RSL from 2007-2013 doesn't automatically make him a great coach in 2015 for NYCFC. MLS has changed and we are at the forefront of that change.

I am not going to pretend to know what was going on between Kreis and the players and between Kreis and management about tactics and lineups, but my opinion is that there were significant problems.

From the business end of NYCFC, keep in mind that ownership wants another team to sign Kreis and pick up as much of his contract (or all of it) ASAP. Letting the rest of MLS think Kreis was fired because we didn't make the playoffs maximizes his value to the Club.

Bravo sir bravo. My head was going to explode reading their drivel but I made it to page 15 somehow.

Also I want to add that these guys all know subconsciously we will be the next big MLS team. On the pitch we will need time to improve but our fan base and community is already upper echelon compared to whatever they have going for them. Its an inferiority complex with them.

This forum is a testament to that.

I 100% agree with you on that. It's like the people on that forum can't acknowledge that CFG is a highly experienced multi national soccer entity devoted to winning at every level. We will be league champions, and we are the start of a new bigger money era in MLS.

Honestly the sheer amount of controversy that this firing has caused makes me think, more than anything else, that Kreis had done something unforgivable like loosing the locker room. CFG like to be a low drama organization more than anything else, and they had to know the backlash this was going to cause.

The conventional wisdom in MLS is that foreign coaches can't coach effectively in MLS because of the complicated roster rules, salary caps, travel demands and youth talent pipeline and that the best coaches are those like Kreis who know the league and the American soccer scene. I think that was true for MLS 1.0 and 2.0 but its 2015 and MLS has changed for the better.

Today if you coach a big market team like Seattle, LA, NYCFC you need to be able to coach your superstars and Champions League veterans. Its a different MLS today than it was 5 years or 10 years ago. The fact that Kreis was a great Coach for RSL from 2007-2013 doesn't automatically make him a great coach in 2015 for NYCFC. MLS has changed and we are at the forefront of that change.

I am not going to pretend to know what was going on between Kreis and the players and between Kreis and management about tactics and lineups, but my opinion is that there were significant problems.

From the business end of NYCFC, keep in mind that ownership wants another team to sign Kreis and pick up as much of his contract (or all of it) ASAP. Letting the rest of MLS think Kreis was fired because we didn't make the playoffs maximizes his value to the Club.
You're missing the point a bit.

LA doesn't win because they have Robbie Keane or Gerrard or Beckham.

They win because Arena has connections everywhere in American soccer and he knows American soccer at all levels. He knows who has the players he wants/needs around those players to work in his system and he knows how to work MLS's crazy system to get those players.

God bless Capello but I'm sure he's never heard of a Darlington Nagbe, a Cyle Larin, a Dax McCarty, a Sebastian Lletget, ect. and I'm sure he couldn't explain the difference between an allocation order and allocation funds.

He probably knows dick about American soccer and while that might not doom him to failure, you're kidding yourself if you don't think it's an impediment to success in this league.

So unless City know that MLS is going to allow them to flex a lot more financial muscle sometime soon then this just shows their absolute ignorance of how things work here.

Honestly the sheer amount of controversy that this firing has caused makes me think, more than anything else, that Kreis had done something unforgivable like loosing the locker room. CFG like to be a low drama organization more than anything else, and they had to know the backlash this was going to cause.
Every time I read someone assert how CFG is intent on being a low drama organization that fears fan backlashes, I remember the Lampard thing. Less than a year ago. You might remember it if you try hard. They lied about signing him to us, pretended he was loaned, then extended the pseudo-loan for no reason other than to let him play 20 minutes a game the rest of the season and have a big party on his last day. Caused a bit of a ruckus over here. And even over there. They didn't seem to give a damn, and mostly pretended it didn't happen. As best as I can tell they do whatever the hell they want and maintain a low drama profile by not commenting on it when the occasional explosions happen.

It's a PR strategy, and it apparently works. But it doesn't really seem to affect how they manage their clubs. Which is a strategy I can understand. If you think an action needs to be taken, take it. But it's very different from not doing things to cause explosions in the first place.

What they've shown me is that they can take a floundering club (MCFC) and turn them into absolute winners. I'll trust them before trusting armchair quarterbacks on here
That's great that you trust them, and I am sure there are more that feel the same way you do. I hope you are right. I don't doubt that they can do it, but the start has been pretty bad so far. I guess the good news is, it can only go up from here.

You're missing the point a bit.

LA doesn't win because they have Robbie Keane or Gerrard or Beckham.

They win because Arena has connections everywhere in American soccer and he knows American soccer at all levels. He knows who has the players he wants/needs around those players to work in his system and he knows how to work MLS's crazy system to get those players.

God bless Capello but I'm sure he's never heard of a Darlington Nagbe, a Cyle Larin, a Dax McCarty, a Sebastian Lletget, ect. and I'm sure he couldn't explain the difference between an allocation order and allocation funds.

He probably knows dick about American soccer and while that might not doom him to failure, you're kidding yourself if you don't think it's an impediment to success in this league.

So unless City know that MLS is going to allow them to flex a lot more financial muscle sometime soon then this just shows their absolute ignorance of how things work here.

There is a lot of truth in this. The real point is that games in MLS are won and lost in large part by having a great supporting cast. LA routed us because of Lletget, Rogers, de la Garza, Zardes, etc. Even Gonzalez, while a DP, was home grown. This stuff takes time to develop. If we didn't have some core young talent like Mix, Poku, TMac, Mullins and Shelton, I would be more worried. Of course, we are going to need to bring in 3x that number to get where we want to be, and knowing the domestic market is key.

Reactions: FootyLovin

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this why Reyna is here? I know that in soccer, the manager has a bit more power than in the typical coach-GM relationship in American sports, but it's not like we are going to hire a European guy, lock him in a room by himself, and say "see you at your performance review next November."

My unfounded optimistic theory is that Kreis not only defied CFG, but also was commandeering of Reyna, who was supposed to have been a mediator between the two groups. Hopefully we find someone with a reasonable sized ego that is going to be able to work with management better, yet control his players and play with better tactics.