Kreis Officially Out At NYCFC

Higher Allocation ranking > SuperDraft every day of the week, dimwit. Higher allocation ranking gives you better access to PROVEN players that CFG can EASILY afford.

That wasn't the mistake. The mistake came AFTER Orlando selected the SuperDraft. Which was the argument you wrongly interjected in.

My god, the pro-CFG/anti-Kreis crowd are dumber than a box of rocks.

That was the mistake because CFG signed Shea before we signed Mix. Therefore we never used that higher allocation rank for anything. It was a total waste.

Higher Allocation ranking > SuperDraft every day of the week, dimwit. Higher allocation ranking gives you better access to PROVEN players that CFG can EASILY afford.

That wasn't the mistake. The mistake came AFTER Orlando selected the SuperDraft. Which was the argument you wrongly interjected in.

My god, the pro-CFG/anti-Kreis crowd are dumber than a box of rocks.
Now, I already know that I'm borderline insane and a retard, so I guess dumber than a box of rocks falls into this as well....

So forgive me for asking the question (and all sarcasm aside, I seriously may be misunderstanding this), but why exactly is the allocation ranking far and away better?

In this particular instance, we wanted the higher allocation ranking over Orlando. Which, the advantage would give us the ability to choose a player over Orlando, if they happened to want the same player. Orlando selected Brek Shea before we used ours, thus then giving them a higher allocation spot once we used ours on Mix, who Orlando didn't want.

So, we could have had Larin and Mix.

Please let me know if I should just get back to my coloring book and stay off these forums.

Allocation Order of #1 vs #2 means nothing to a returning USMNT player - the player will end up where they want to, just ask Chicago about that. If I was the NYCFC braintrust, I'd like my chances that anybody NYCFC wanted would rather live/play in NYC over Orlando any day of the year. Therefore, the Super Draft with a guy like Larin, whom they could easily afford, would have been the more logical choice.
Yes, it's no guarantee of success but NYC =/= Chicago. It's a sexier town, a bigger outfit and I'd love to know who will outbid NYC in MLS? No one. You're kidding yourself.

That was the mistake because CFG signed Shea before we signed Mix. Therefore we never used that higher allocation rank for anything. It was a total waste.
And if I'm understanding how the allocation order works, since Orlando selected Shea before we used ours, this then gave them a higher allocation rank after we then used ours on Mix?

So it sounds like the allocation order selection should have been the very last thing.

Reactions: Ulrich
Now, I already know that I'm borderline insane and a retard, so I guess dumber than a box of rocks falls into this as well....

So forgive me for asking the question (and all sarcasm aside, I seriously may be misunderstanding this), but why exactly is the allocation ranking far and away better?

In this particular instance, we wanted the higher allocation ranking over Orlando. Which, the advantage would give us the ability to choose a player over Orlando, if they happened to want the same player. Orlando selected Brek Shea before we used ours, thus then giving them a higher allocation spot once we used ours on Mix, who Orlando didn't want.

So, we could have had Larin and Mix.

Please let me know if I should just get back to my coloring book and stay off these forums.

I'll join you with my wood blocks.

And if I'm understanding how the allocation order works, since Orlando selected Shea before we used ours, this then gave them a higher allocation rank after we then used ours on Mix?

So it sounds like the allocation order selection should have been the very last thing.
You're misunderstanding it.

First of all, the Allocation Order is essentially a right of first refusal. Any great American players returning from abroad, we get first dibs on. That's the mentality. The facts of whether or not we wanted Brek Shea or they wanted Mix Diskerud were really irrelevant.

College soccer is a dying breed. It's importance has been diminished. No one in their right mind is selecting college players over players coming back from Europe. Sorry, it's not happening.

Orlando just got lucky that Larin proved to be as good as he did this season. Congrats to them but no one is picking those selections in the opposite order.

Let me point out, Orlando took the Expansion Draft ahead of the SuperDraft.

Meaning, Orlando put more importance on selecting first amongst MLS teams undesirable players than on selecting Cyle Larin.

But you guys will ignore that fact because it doesn't fit your "Kreis is dumb" narrative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NYCFCP

Meaning, Orlando put more importance on selecting first amongst MLS teams undesirable players than on selecting Cyle Larin.

But you guys will ignore that fact because it doesn't fit your "Kreis is dumb" narrative. Fuck you.
Yes, I see that Orlando decided that, I don't see how that changes the fact that choosing the allocation order over the superdraft was a bad move.

And for the record, I really, truly thought that Kreis deserved at least another year. He made many boneheaded moves all year and there were so many times I thought he had lost his mind. But I really thought with the first year of an expansion team, that he should have a bit more time to show his stuff. The firing didn't completely disappoint me, but I wasn't also completely onboard. You're making it extremely difficult to see why I originally thought that.

Yes, the second Orlando signed Shea they went to the bottom of the allocation order below every team in the league. Also, as Ulrich Ulrich points out these players control the process. Columbus in tried to get Mix and it's largely believed that things fell apart because Mix didn't want to live there. He wasn't coming to the MLS unless it was a team he wanted to play for. We are most likely one of the few teams Mix would have even considered, with minimal research the front office should have known this.

Reactions: Gavin23

But you guys will ignore that fact because it doesn't fit your "Kreis is dumb" narrative. Fuck you.

Orlando chose the Expansion Draft first because they had a definite need to get a proven GK to fill in until Tally Hall was sufficiently recovered. So of course they valued the Expansion Draft as being more important than anything else - no MNT GK were rumored to be coming "home," and the college GK group did not have one that Orlando rated could play Day One that would have the same command of the goal box.

It's really pretty simple, but you just want to keep berating anybody that doesn't agree with you. Love the profanity, really, it added just the right amount of ire to your web voice.

Hey Buddy, thought we were on the same side? i think you missed my point a little bit. the owners can screw it up but have to face the consequence of losing the audience, a precious and arrogant one that is. We all know that. And so far i see no evidence they want to lose this audience. I see people overreacting to Kries' firing, something I personally cherish because i see no evidence that his staying another year can make the situation materially better. so my next logic argument is CFG has been trying to catering to us and to their own profits -- hopefully the two things are aligned. That's all.
BTW, i don't agree with your assessment on the leverage/bargaining power the NY fan base holds. overall, MLS is still a minor league in world stage. We are still closer to the "bagger" end of the spectrum than the bragger end of the the spectrum, in spite of the potential media market size. Whomever investing in soccer in NY/US is still taking some greater geo risks than investing in some other established market. We are a hot emerging market that one day has to realize its value potential to justify the risks. On that topic, btw, I would use price tag of broadcasting right as a yardstick. The day when MSL broadcasting right is sold at a price close to that of NFL is the day MLS is finally making it. anyway this is a side topic.
Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with what you said. This wasn't an argument about the bigger club. I'm saying that CFG isn't just going to fuck us over with regularity because they need this market for their bigger plan. That's what this means:

They know that. We know that. We aren't going to be bitched by them because of that. It's not a standoff. It's the recognition on each part not to go into incurable histrionics.

NYC is not an emerging market. They are trying to sell an emerging product to an audience that comprises arguably (I don't think it's arguable.) the most important financial & media market in the world.

Last edited:
Yes, I see that Orlando decided that, I don't see how that changes the fact that choosing the allocation order over the superdraft was a bad move.

And for the record, I really, truly thought that Kreis deserved at least another year. He made many boneheaded moves all year and there were so many times I thought he had lost his mind. But I really thought with the first year of an expansion team, that he should have a bit more time to show his stuff. The firing didn't completely disappoint me, but I wasn't also completely onboard. You're making it extremely difficult to see why I originally thought that.
Orlando's selection just shows, you do NOT pick college kids before proven professionals.

You just don't do it. Not when the sport is soccer. Sorry.

And when you have CFG paying the bills, you want to have the best access to the best players returning from abroad. It's just the smart move.

Larin turned out wonderfully, we'll have to see if he can keep it up, Orlando were very lucky. That's it.

Orlando chose the Expansion Draft first because they had a definite need to get a proven GK to fill in until Tally Hall was sufficiently recovered. So of course they valued the Expansion Draft as being more important than anything else - no MNT GK were rumored to be coming "home," and the college GK group did not have one that Orlando rated could play Day One that would have the same command of the goal box.

It's really pretty simple, but you just want to keep berating anybody that doesn't agree with you. Love the profanity, really, it added just the right amount of ire to your web voice.
Yeah, because we were going to steal all the best GKers (that other teams didn't want anyway) in the league between the first and second selection.

Come on, you're lying to yourself here.

Furthermore, you're saying Orlando valued a back-up GK more than Cyle Larin. You realize that....right?

Proven professionals > College kids

Yes, the second Orlando signed Shea they went to the bottom of the allocation order below every team in the league. Also, as Ulrich Ulrich points out these players control the process. Columbus in tried to get Mix and it's largely believed that things fell apart because Mix didn't want to live there. He wasn't coming to the MLS unless it was a team he wanted to play for. We are most likely one of the few teams Mix would have even considered, with minimal research the front office should have known this.
You're very right. Say OC didn't sign Shea, and Mix would have come up first. Mix tells MLS that he will only play for NYC. MLS tells OC, "here, have some allocation money" and tell Mix " welcome to New York. Glad to have you, you elvish beauty of a midfielder."

Glad to have you, you elvish beauty of a midfielder."
secondbreakfastgif.gif

Yeah, because we were going to steal all the best GKers (that other teams didn't want anyway) in the league between the first and second selection.

Come on, you're lying to yourself here.

Furthermore, you're saying Orlando valued a back-up GK more than Cyle Larin. You realize that....right?

Proven professionals > College kids

No, proven GK > college GK.

Bingo. This is the big mistake. After Orlando won the coin toss and selected the first pick in the expansion draft, Kreis could have selected either the draft or the allocation order. It was a no brainer slam dunk that Larin was the first pick in the draft, so Kreis basically said I'll take the allocation order over Larin.

If Kreis wanted Mix so bad, he should have realized that he could have gotten him even with the #2 pick in the allocation order, because no way Mix is going to Orlando over NYCFC even if Orlando says they want him. They could have swapped an international spot or some trivial allocation money to get Mix. And it turns out it wasn't even needed because OCSC wanted Shea anyway.

So basically Kreis bumbled away a 17 goal rookie of the year candidate because he believed too much in the allocation order/had google eyes for Mix. (Yes, I know it was no given thing that Larin was going to be that good, but it was clear that he was head and shoulders above everyone else in the SuperDraft). Kreis already had Lampard at that time, why did he need Mix so bad? (Yes, Lamps didn't come, but Kreis didn't know that at the time). In Kreis 4-4-2 system, he needs another forward to go up top with Villa. Which he did by reaching for Shelton at #2. Larin >>>>> Shelton and this was known before the draft.

No, proven GK > college GK.
Come on, bro. You're done.

You said it yourself, they just needed a GK until Tally Hall came back. That's a "proven" back-up GK.

And there was only going to be one selection ahead of them in that Expansion Draft... even if we did take a GK, I doubt the league and the world would be without "proven" GKs somewhere.

There's only one Cyle Larin though.

But keep kicking and screaming...