Kreis Officially Out At NYCFC

The man has won a lot in MLS and Concacaf Champions League. I'd be real interested in hearing the qualifications of "anyone who knows anything about soccer" as compared to his resume.

Are they the same people that think:

While saying this?

You'll have to explain to me why CFG gets a pass and your confidence in a league they clearly know nothing about as opposed to a coach that's been extremely successful in it.

CFG don't know shit beyond "throw money at it" and I think TFC and New Jersey have shown that's not a winning solution in MLS.

between a girl who throw money at me and a girl who truly loves me, I think a lot of the guys would go with the money route?

Your loyalty seems to be more aligned with the ex coach than the club

what do you mean by they f ed the team? FYI, this is their team, their b. They spent 100mm on it and they can f it anyway they see fit. You and I don't have to like. We can vote by feet and that's about it.
I am hopeful their money will make MLS bend backwards to their advantage and our delight, like how LA is having their way with rules
Not a fun post. And the premise behind disagreeing with you is that they weren't the only bidder. Plenty of folks wanted the "NYC" brand and all of us arrogant pricks and our money that come with it. CFG made a pitch and punched the golden ticket.

If I were them, I'd want to avoid being the guy who wins the lottery one day, and gets diagnosed terminal the next. Make no mistake, we were the lottery. There was a battle for us. And they know that. So while you aren't entirely wrong, you're not very right.

There's more money on this board than there is in the entirety of Manchester the town proper. Thems the facts. And while I may be a jerk with the phrasing, it is still largely true. They know that. We know that. We aren't going to be bitched by them because of that. It's not a standoff. It's the recognition on each part not to go into incurable histrionics.

Last edited:
You're missing the point a bit.

LA doesn't win because they have Robbie Keane or Gerrard or Beckham.

They win because Arena has connections everywhere in American soccer and he knows American soccer at all levels. He knows who has the players he wants/needs around those players to work in his system and he knows how to work MLS's crazy system to get those players.

God bless Capello but I'm sure he's never heard of a Darlington Nagbe, a Cyle Larin, a Dax McCarty, a Sebastian Lletget, ect. and I'm sure he couldn't explain the difference between an allocation order and allocation funds.

He probably knows dick about American soccer and while that might not doom him to failure, you're kidding yourself if you don't think it's an impediment to success in this league.

So unless City know that MLS is going to allow them to flex a lot more financial muscle sometime soon then this just shows their absolute ignorance of how things work here.

Damn there was a lot of talk in the last 12 hours. Everyone who wants to read me call NYCFCFan10 names because he doesn't agree with me can skip over this.

One of the biggest differences between NYCFC and LA and Seattle isn't their head coaches ability to scour the NCAA and NASL for players, its the fact that they have a reservoir of homegrown players (Zardes is really good) who don't count against the cap. Homegrown players have changed the MLS (see what FC Dallas has done) and the ability to develop homegrown players can't happen overnight and has almost nothing to do with the MLS head coach. I am not personally involved in youth soccer in NYC but from a distance it looks like the Club has been innovative and is creating a pipeline that will provide us with depth and talent in 3-5 years so we will be on a level playing field with LA and other established teams.

When MLS didn't have homegrown players 5+ years ago, it was much more important to know all the levels of the American soccer scene. Today it is much more important for the Coach be successful with the squad of 23 than to check out what is happening at the University of Akron. 2015 isn't like 2010 or 2005 in MLS. The skills that helped you be a top coach in 2010 may not necessarily be relevant to being a top coach in 2015.

Damn there was a lot of talk in the last 12 hours. Everyone who wants to read me call NYCFCFan10 names because he doesn't agree with me can skip over this.

One of the biggest differences between NYCFC and LA and Seattle isn't their head coaches ability to scour the NCAA and NASL for players, its the fact that they have a reservoir of homegrown players (Zardes is really good) who don't count against the cap. Homegrown players have changed the MLS (see what FC Dallas has done) and the ability to develop homegrown players can't happen overnight and has almost nothing to do with the MLS head coach. I am not personally involved in youth soccer in NYC but from a distance it looks like the Club has been innovative and is creating a pipeline that will provide us with depth and talent in 3-5 years so we will be on a level playing field with LA and other established teams.

When MLS didn't have homegrown players 5+ years ago, it was much more important to know all the levels of the American soccer scene. Today it is much more important for the Coach be successful with the squad of 23 than to check out what is happening at the University of Akron. 2015 isn't like 2010 or 2005 in MLS. The skills that helped you be a top coach in 2010 may not necessarily be relevant to being a top coach in 2015.
All true. But it would be cool not to burn a top 2 draft pick (that could have been #1 and Larin if Kreis didnt shart his pants publicly), or just as cool to draft a GA guy to save cap space.

Also, color me disappointed. I read your whole damned post and didn't see any derogatory comments about NYC 10.

Last edited:
Everyone who wants to read me call NYCFCFan10 names because he doesn't agree with me can skip over this.

Also, color me disappointed. I read your whole damned post and didn't see any derogatory comments about NYC 10.

He did tell you to skip it if you were hoping for nasty comments. Did you perchance misunderstand?

He did tell you to skip it if you were hoping for nasty comments. Did you perchance misunderstand?
I absolutely misunderstood. I was half reading and posting and half swinging the axe to Black Keys on Guitar Hero with the old lady. I read it to say don't read this unless you want to hear how much of an incorrigible dick that guy is being.

Needless to say, I felt unsatisfied at the end

All true. But it would be cool not to burn a top 2 draft pick (that could have been #1 and Larin if Kreis didnt shart his pants publicly), or just as cool to draft a GA guy to save cap space.

Wrong.

His little snafu at that ridiculous event had nothing to do with that draft order.

I don't disagree that homegrown talent is becoming increasingly important here.

But I think I see a slight flaw in your thinking....

Is next year "3-5 years"? 2016

Is the following year after that "3-5 years"? 2017

So even if we believe our youth program can start churning out impactful players in just 3 years time (VERY optimistic), we're looking at 2018 before they're taking the field in your theory. What's our coach(es) supposed to do in the meantime? Look to bring in players from varying levels of USA soccer, of course! So let's get a coach that knows nothing about US soccer. Great thinking, CFG. Right up there with lying and stealing Lampard to start your inaugural season off. You're the best.

See, this is my problem with the Pro-CFG/Anti-Kreis bunch. The minute we start examining your logic, it folds faster than a house of cards. Why? Because you're wrong. Simple as that.

Last edited:
I absolutely misunderstood. I was half reading and posting and half swinging the axe to Black Keys on Guitar Hero with the old lady. I read it to say don't read this unless you want to hear how much of an incorrigible dick that guy is being.

Needless to say, I felt unsatisfied at the end
Yeah there was something odd about that sentence. I somehow thought it was supposed to mean the opposite of what it did and had to read it 3x to get it straight.

So even if we believe our youth program can start churning out impactful players in just 3 years time (VERY optimistic), we're looking at 2018 before they're taking the field in your theory. What's our coach(es) supposed to do in the meantime? Look to bring in players from varying levels of USA soccer, of course! So let's get a coach that knows nothing about US soccer. Great thinking, CFG. Right up there with lying and stealing Lampard to start your inaugural season off. You're the best.

See, this is my problem with the Pro-CFG/Anti-Kreis bunch. The minute we start examining your logic, it folds faster than a house of cards. Why? Because you're wrong. Simple as that.
We're still waiting to hear one thing kreis did right this year.

I'll give an example. Kreis did not single handedly knock us out of the US open cup. But a true one.

To be fair Orlando City selected a goalkeeper that barely played for them ahead of Larin. Shelton's contract also did not factor in salary cap considerations because the cap only counts for 18 players. Pretty sure there were 18 people making more money than him last season.

The Coach of NYCFC in 2016 needs to figure out how to have Villa, Lampard, Pirlo, Mix and 7 other players on the field at the same time for at least 70 minutes a game playing attractive soccer and winning MLS games. Maybe an American Coach is the right guy to do that. Maybe its a foreign Coach, but that is what the Coach of our team needs to do in 2016. I give Kreis credit for finding and developing RJ Allen who was definitely serviceable and helped our team at the end of the season, but finding 3 more RJ Allen's that other teams are overlooking is not going to translate into success. Making sure our best players are performing effectively on the field will translate into success.

We want NYCFC to compete for the Supporters' Shield, MLS Cup, US Open Cup and CONCACAF Champions League every year like LA or other top teams do, but that is not going to happen until we have a core of homegrown players who we can draw from. In the meantime, we can and should be in the top 6 in the Eastern Conference every year and have a team that is fun to watch and can beat any other MLS team on any given day.

We all agree with you about 12/31/14.

There will be another season of House of Cards and I am not wrong.

The Coach of NYCFC in 2016 needs to figure out how to have Villa, Lampard, Pirlo, Mix and 7 other players on the field at the same time for at least 70 minutes a game playing attractive soccer and winning MLS games. Maybe an American Coach is the right guy to do that. Maybe its a foreign Coach, but that is what the Coach of our team needs to do in 2016. I give Kreis credit for finding and developing RJ Allen who was definitely serviceable and helped our team at the end of the season, but finding 3 more RJ Allen's that other teams are overlooking is not going to translate into success. Making sure our best players are performing effectively on the field will translate into success.

We want NYCFC to compete for the Supporters' Shield, MLS Cup, US Open Cup and CONCACAF Champions League every year like LA or other top teams do, but that is not going to happen until we have a core of homegrown players who we can draw from. In the meantime, we can and should be in the top 6 in the Eastern Conference every year and have a team that is fun to watch and can beat any other MLS team on any given day.

We all agree with you about 12/31/14.

There will be another season of House of Cards and I am not wrong.
Hey, you know who would have been one of those good 7 players along side the ones you mention?

Mike Grella. You might know of him. He's nominated as one of the 3 finalists for MLS Newcomer of the Year. He was also deemed surplus to requirements at NYC. And I'm pretty sure neither Soriano nor Glick personally hosted nor even attended his trial.

Eta: I enjoy house of cards. But it lost my emotional engagement towards the end of last season.

Grella is really good and I like him, but take a look at the stats.

Grella .34 Goals/90 Minutes

Mullins .52 G/90
Poku .37 G/90
TMac .34 G/90

We got the attacking players, they just weren't used as effectively as Grella. We can do better next year.

Grella is really good and I like him, but take a look at the stats.

Grella .34 Goals/90 Minutes

Mullins .52 G/90
Poku .37 G/90
TMac .34 G/90

We got the attacking players, they just weren't used as effectively as Grella. We can do better next year.
It's the DP effect really. I feel like with DPs on the field the other players are always thinking about what those guys will want them to do rather than just playing the game. I think that's why a lot of teams without big name DPs are also very successful.

That and Villa's million wild shots from outside the box.

It's the DP effect really. I feel like with DPs on the field the other players are always thinking about what those guys will want them to do rather than just playing the game. I think that's why a lot of teams without big name DPs are also very successful.

That and Villa's million wild shots from outside the box.
How do you explain that Kreis thought Grella wasn't good enough yet Grella has been successful in the league?