La Liga to stage competitive fixtures in USA & Canada

lol wow. i mean only real madrid barcelona or atletico would make this worthwhile for promoters. but same time you think they really want to come over for a game, what if its close race and decisive match is to be played in US rather than at home.

im surprised it was la liga to be honest, premier league was the one toying with idea and seemed to make more sense due to them having more exposure on TV

This is the vehicle to increase demand for broadcasting rights in the US. Smart long term play. Serie A should do the same thing.

As for premier league, not sure how much more they can grow their TV audience in the states. La Liga and Serie A have a ton of untapped potential.

If they want to be the Prem, they need to first distribute the TV money more like the Prem, allowing La Liga to develop more than 2.5 competitive teams.

Or any TV deal in the states at all. They were on BeIN, which is Qatari and has disappeared from many US cable providers. Hard to believe they can't strike some kind of deal with a US TV provider, especially given that an enormous number of Spanish-speaking Americans follow Barça and the Madrid teams.

i read that this was the contract ends after this season. I guess they trying to use this to get someone else to buy in and buy the rights to have a liga game on "home soil" for the network. I just dont know who would get it. If its ESPN+ again, its more accessible but spanish side must be onESPN deportes or something.