Lampard Off?

Attendance has been down this year so far, which has surprised me a great deal. Not sure whether that has anything to do with the DPs we have on our roster. I think maybe there was a lot of curiosity about them and the team last year that might have bumped attendance a bit. I think that's what bringing in a legend as DP does - it gets someone to come out once to see the legend and check things out. After that, they either stick around or don't based on everything else about the club.

Reactions: Goodfella
perhaps....some may not renew since their favorite stars wont be there anymore....but yes id like that idea of bringing someone who will become well known thru play and, hopefully, winning titles.
I don't know how many fans Lampard attracted tbh. Pirlo was a huge sell but Lampard has been underwhelming, if they came for him only they probably didn't renew this offseason. I'm sure we can find some Premier League name to bring over.

Reactions: Kjbert
Attendance has been down this year so far, which has surprised me a great deal. Not sure whether that has anything to do with the DPs we have on our roster. I think maybe there was a lot of curiosity about them and the team last year that might have bumped attendance a bit. I think that's what bringing in a legend as DP does - it gets someone to come out once to see the legend and check things out. After that, they either stick around or don't based on everything else about the club.

Think it has to do more with the horrid weather at the start of the season, last year it was new and exciting so you dealt with the cold. I haven't missed a NYCFC game yet but that being said, Im not exactly looking forward to a 7pm Sunday night game with the temp around 30. For a casual fan, I can't see the appeal.

I don't know how many fans Lampard attracted tbh. Pirlo was a huge sell but Lampard has been underwhelming, if they came for him only they probably didn't renew this offseason. I'm sure we can find some Premier League name to bring over.

id say a lot were in the beginning when he was "announced" but probably after first season they probably didnt renew considering he barely played.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Think it has to do more with the horrid weather at the start of the season, last year it was new and exciting so you dealt with the cold. I haven't missed a NYCFC game yet but that being said, Im not exactly looking forward to a 7pm Sunday night game with the temp around 30. For a casual fan, I can't see the appeal.

lol true....i went to that sporting kc game last year it was like below 0 wind chill plus there were flurries as well.....i rarely go out to the streets on a regular day on those conditions yet i did it for that game...crazy. :D

id say a lot were in the beginning when he was "announced" but probably after first season they probably didnt renew considering he barely played.
I'll second this. I think he was a big draw. You still see plenty of his jerseys. But a good number of those folks are likely to fade away unless the team won their hearts regardless.

Reactions: JayH
I also think that the club will always have at least 1 marquee player on the squad for marketing purposes

Totally agree. One is the minimum, and it will be two (or even three) at times depending on who's available and ownership's marketing needs.

A drop in attendance can also be easily attributed to how badly the team played last year. A new team with those DPs and a lot of people thought the sky was the limit. Then reality sets in, we miss out on the playoffs, and I can't even get my friend to watch the games on TV because "that team fuckin sucks."

Reactions: NYCFCfan and joe
its a bit early to post this as i think the expansion draft is like 8 months away, but who do you think our 11 saved roster players would be? Imagine lamps signed some kind of contract extension and then we didn't protect him. That would be hilarious. I'd like to "lose" him like that. A great way to send him off.

Reactions: kylelovescrayons
its a bit early to post this as i think the expansion draft is like 8 months away, but who do you think our 11 saved roster players would be? Imagine lamps signed some kind of contract extension and then we didn't protect him. That would be hilarious. I'd like to "lose" him like that. A great way to send him off.
Wasn't there talk of MLS eliminating the expansion draft and just giving new teams extra money?

DP's have been left unprotected in previous drafts and gone unselected. Not likely an expansion team would waste a DP on someone they didn't select themselves, but a boy can dream. I still believe in Fat Frank

tim cahill was left unprotected if memory serves.

Wasn't there talk of MLS eliminating the expansion draft and just giving new teams extra money?

i dont think anything has been officially announced. but knowing MLS they may just one day say hey guys tomorrow is the expansion draft.

I think DPs are automatically protected from expansion drafts.

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/2014-expansion-draft-rules

" Designated Players are NOT automatically protected (i.e., clubs must choose whether to protect such players and if such player is not protected, he will be available for selection in the Expansion Draft). However, if the Designated Player has a no-trade clause in his contract, then his MLS club must protect him and he will count as one of the 11 players who may be protected"

Only Generation Adidas & Homegrown players received automatic protection:

"Generation Adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2014 MLS season and Homegrown Players on a club’s Supplemental Roster at the end of the 2014 MLS season are automatically protected (clubs do not have to use a protected slot on them)."

Reactions: Paul and joe
It's simple, the "shiny new toy" effect is gone. People were curious to see what it was all about and alot of those casuals are gone.

I still sit next to people asking what's offsides etc.

Getting Lampard AND Pirlo was a bad idea from the start. Two old players, the risks were obvious..

We had to overpay for someone in the Giovinco/Dos Santos/Gignac Talent level+age group if we wanted to make a splash and be a good soccer team

Reactions: gbservis
EDIT
Never mind. As usual I have my head up my ass and posted a response in the wrong thread. oy