Lampard Off?

It's simple, the "shiny new toy" effect is gone. People were curious to see what it was all about and alot of those casuals are gone.

I still sit next to people asking what's offsides etc.

Getting Lampard AND Pirlo was a bad idea from the start. Two old players, the risks were obvious..

We had to overpay for someone in the Giovinco/Dos Santos/Gignac Talent level+age group if we wanted to make a splash and be a good soccer team

eh...yes in the marketing sense, if these names were not there less people would of come around though. From a playing and skill perspective the opportunity comes after this year with lampard gone. so well see if what the direction of the club is when they announce the next DP.

He was still in New York, near the practice facility no less, last weekend.

I can absolutely see him taking a decision to step down, but I don't see him being cut by any means.

I was curious about his timetable to return so I asked some medical professionals (docs & physical therapists) about the timeline to return from a gastrocnemius strain (which is what it's been reported as).

Generally they can start rehabilitation around three weeks in. Fit by 6 weeks.

I don't think we've seen Lampard play since that first game at the end of January. It's been 9-10 weeks since then so one of two things likely have happened:

DISCLAIMER: I'M SPECULATING HERE

He probably thought it wasn't bad, played or trained and it felt worse some time in early February so it wasn't diagnosed until early/mid February which would push the timetable to return close to this next week.

Given that last year him and the team thought it was a good idea to play through injuries and he got worse as a result I can understand why they're reluctant to give injury updates.

Today the team holds practice open to the media so that should help shed some light on his situation, if he's there then it means he's close to making a return. If he's not, then I say we wait until the Philly game before we start speculating that he's leaving.
So I may have hit the nail on the head.

Crooks says he could be out 3 more weeks due to worrying about a relapse like last year. Maybe we'll see fat Frank next month lol

The future winning formula for this team is as many Matarrita types as you can fit on a roster. Even use the DP spots to bring in some further along Matarritas or to keep a rostered Matarrita from leaving for Europe too quickly. Save one DP for someone with some additional marketing value and the fill the rest of the roster with Matarritas at varying degrees of advancement. Can't miss.

Messi is confirmed, but for 2020.

It works like this: Pep starts at Manchester City next season and convinces Messi to join him in the Premiership. After winning all the silverware available over the next couple of years, City Football Group punt him this side of the pond to play out the remainder of his career at NYCFC resulting in an ass ton of revenue in merchandising sales and the number one team in MLS.

You are welcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
So lets say we do in fact get rid of Lampard...

The rumors about the roster overhaul at Man City kind of concern me. The current rumors is that Pep wants to bring in 8 players including CBs and holding midfielders. I hope that doesn't mean CFG dumping a Demichelis, Kompany or Toure on Lampard DP spot this summer or next season.

The rumors about the roster overhaul at Man City kind of concern me. The current rumors is that Pep wants to bring in 8 players including CBs and holding midfielders. I hope that doesn't mean CFG dumping a Demichelis, Kompany or Toure on Lampard DP spot this summer or next season.
It could mean a highly talented, yet pouty, Frenchman that hasn't played much since leaving Arsenal.

So I may have hit the nail on the head.

Crooks says he could be out 3 more weeks due to worrying about a relapse like last year. Maybe we'll see fat Frank next month lol

Good lord. Just punt on this and try to find someone in the summer transfer window.

Maybe Chelsea needs a new Fitness Coach?

Kompany and Toure are totally, totally different than Demichelis. I don't like the idea of a defensive DP, but Kompany would immediately be the best CB in MLS. He's still only 29.

Good lord. Just punt on this and try to find someone in the summer transfer window.

Maybe Chelsea needs a new Fitness Coach?

Kompany and Toure are totally, totally different than Demichelis. I don't like the idea of a defensive DP, but Kompany would immediately be the best CB in MLS. He's still only 29.
With recurring injuries on both legs now, I believe.

I do like the idea of building through a Matarrita type approach.

That being said, you still need star power. I'm sorry. This is MLS and this is New York City. The average suburban family isn't coming to the game to see Matarrita. They're coming to see Villa and Pirlo. That's a fact. You need that starpower. This isn't Sandy, Utah folks.

Reactions: Jack
I do like the idea of building through a Matarrita type approach.

That being said, you still need star power. I'm sorry. This is MLS and this is New York City. The average suburban family isn't coming to the game to see Matarrita. They're coming to see Villa and Pirlo. That's a fact. You need that starpower. This isn't Sandy, Utah folks.

But, you also need someone who can make you competitive. The early Beckham-era LA Galaxy is a perfect cautionary tale of how not to front-load your roster. The rules have changed since then, but the essential point still stands: you need balance, and a blended DP approach can help. I think "name" DPs are fine, and the ideal situation is when you get someone who turns heads and can really contribute. But that's not always the case. And we can obviously see, three of these players are great for PR purposes, but how does it work on the field -- and not only that, but how does it hamstring our cap?

I think there is a very good deal of balance on this team right now. But I also think there are beneficial trade offs to, say, having two of your DPs be "star power" and your third being a Young DP Fabian Castillo type that makes you very competitive on the field. That way, when Villa and Pirlo get first timers to show up, and we win, they'll be more inclined to stay on. And that's just a hypothetical, there are also cap considerations for Young DPs, sell-on and consistency factors, etc. (And I mean this irrespective of the Lampard quagmire, which I think is a unique case.)

APcFiiTrG0x2.gif

Chelsea did try to get Drogba to come over and coach this offseason. Why not Lampard? Drogba was a huge success so I understand Montreal and MLS fighting over him, I don't think they'll put up much of a fight over Lampard.

Reactions: Kjbert