Leagues Cup - August 11 - Pumas (Home)

Because the NYCFC team cameras they use for that aren't connected to anything. The only cameras VAR has are the TV cameras and a few other ones that they can plug into.
So we know the few other angles that VAR has definitely didn't have this angle?

Reactions: Shwafta
WELL FUCK...

video linked to right before the santi goal. ball does appear to hit his hand and does not go off his face. REGARDLESS!!! IT IS STILL A DOGSO foul.

View attachment 11358
Wow. That almost looks like a video created to train refs on handball/dogso interconnectedness.

I'm not certain what I think so on the substance I'll just add this. I have on a couple of occasions heard former officials who now work TV explain that the 2 absolutely strictest handball calls are (1) when an offensive player redirects a ball into goal, and (2) a defensive player redirects it away from a clear path to goal. When that happens, everything else - arm position, intent, hand to ball, ball to hand, reaction time, other contextual stuff (like maybe the player involved being fouled?), etc, all become irrelevant. You call the handball. You never want a goal directly created or blocked by a handball. And I'm pretty sure that of those 2, the goal caused by handball is the even more absolutely enforced situation, because there's no Red Card, no PK given. The ref is just removing a goal that even if inadvertent, would not have existed without ball-hand contact.

Santi cleary changed the path of the ball from a pretty sharp vertical angle to more horizontal. Maybe it still would have gone in, but maybe not, and I think this ref reverted to the rule that when an attacking player redirects the ball and it directly goes into goal, that's all the analysis you do.

Dammit.

Last edited:
Wow. That almost looks like a video created to train refs on handball/dogso interconnectedness.

I'm not certain what I think so on the substance I'll just add this. I have on a couple of occasions heard former officials who now work TV explain that the 2 absolutely strictest handball calls are (1) when an offensive player redirects a ball into goal, and (2) a defensive player redirects it away from a clear path to goal. When that happens, everything else - arm position, intent, hand to ball, ball to hand, reaction time, other contextual stuff (like maybe the player involved being fouled?), etc, all become irrelevant. You call the handball. You never want a goal directly created or blocked by a handball. And I'm pretty sure that of those 2, the goal caused by handball is the even more absolutely enforced situation, because there's no Red Card, no PK given. The ref is just removing a goal that even if inadvertent, would not have exited without ball-hand contact.

Santi cleary changed the path of the ball from a pretty sharp vertical angle to more horizontal. Maybe it still would have gone in, but maybe not, and I think this ref reverted to the rule that when an attacking player redirects the ball and it directly goes into goal, that's all the analysis you do.

Dammit.

i think the question still remains about the potential dogso. i think there is a dogso foul, but i understand that it is subjective. and if there is a dogso foul, i think it wipes out the handball because it occurred first. in the end, if the ref thought there was dogso, we should have had a PK.

We'll never know, but based on the video evidence we have now, the only logical sequence is the VAR/ref didn't think there was a dogso foul, so they went to the handball to overrule the goal.

still thought the ref was shitty last night. but this loss was always more on our inability to finish our chances this game than anything.

So we know the few other angles that VAR has definitely didn't have this angle?

We don't know that. That's my point -- maybe they had an angle, maybe they didn't. But we haven't seen any angles that they had available to know whether this was a clear and obvious error or overreach from the VAR.

Ultimately, I'm relieved it was, at least, the correct call. I'm still not OK with how they came to the decision until we see more information that we will likely never see.

i think the question still remains about the potential dogso. i think there is a dogso foul, but i understand that it is subjective. and if there is a dogso foul, i think it wipes out the handball because it occurred first. in the end, if the ref thought there was dogso, we should have had a PK.
I see both also, but handball first, but I also would not argue with you or anyone else who sees dogso first. Since neither were called originally, there's also no clear and obvious priority for either over the other.

Reactions: moogoo
Maybe I missed it but we at least need to bring up one of the greatest moments from the other night/morning;
1628867910696.jpeg

In a night that was crazy and ultimately ended in sadness for us NYCFC fans, a few moments of comical relief after the camera guy panned to them a few times in the night. The guy in red finally waking up and giving a wave/salute was also great.

Maybe I missed it but we at least need to bring up one of the greatest moments from the other night/morning;
View attachment 11362

In a night that was crazy and ultimately ended in sadness for us NYCFC fans, a few moments of comical relief after the camera guy panned to them a few times in the night. The guy in red finally waking up and giving a wave/salute was also great.
Omg yeah this was the best moment of the night, hands down! We were sitting very close to them and were actually seeing it all play out in front of us too! hah. The entire stadium roaring over it was just priceless

View attachment 11362

The other guy was finally awake before the penalties too if I’m remembering correctly. Pretty sure they showed them both later (assuming it was between full time and pens) and they were both awake.

It does -- I'm glad the right call was made. When I was walking out of the stadium, I thought we had been robbed. My question is what angle they had on the video that was clear and obvious. Because the main midfield camera did not show anything amiss, and we saw no other replays.

But the DOGSO happens before the hand touches the ball. I don't think the referee even considered the potential penalty.

But the DOGSO happens before the hand touches the ball. I don't think the referee even considered the potential penalty.
I’m not really sure it’s DOGSO anymore. With this angle and it being slowed down, the defender makes contact with the ball before he makes contact with Santi.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
I’m not really sure it’s DOGSO anymore. With this angle and it being slowed down, the defender makes contact with the ball before he makes contact with Santi.
Right. Defender got ball. Ball got hand.

The conditions were awful that night and affected the broadcast. The video feed went out in the first half, and I never did see a replay of anything. Maybe that was just shitty production values, but I suspect the weather caused problems.

Reactions: SoupInNYC