Leagues Cup - August 11 - Pumas (Home)

For the record
View attachment 11354

This looks like the moment called for the handball. after this point it looks like the ball ever so slightly shifts in a different direction so it's possible ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but I still think the DOGSO/penalty should have happened. Not like we would have scored a penalty right?

Maybe, but between this and the image that was posted on Twitter, it is impossible to see whether the ball is actually touching his hand or not. There is no chance that is clear and obvious. Additionally, even if it does touch his hand, is that not ball-to-hand? If we're going to chalk that off while the guy is being tackled from behind, with his hand in a natural position, that's absurd. Even if it does touch his hand -- which I still have not seen conclusive evidence of -- it's still a bullshit call that should never be made in that spot.

Reactions: Shwafta
Here's my other issue with that VAR call. No one on either team noticed anything amiss, no one in the crowd noticed anything amiss -- had they not reviewed it, no one would have even thought a millisecond about it. It's searching for a reason to chalk off a goal.

I am not a conspiracy believer, but they were trying to find a reason to take that goal off the board. Complete shambles.

Reactions: Shwafta
FredMertz FredMertz pointed out in the prediction thread that the Pumas shot that went in goal moved ever so slowly.

By chance, I happened to hear the radio call for that goal, while watching the ESPN+ stream at the same time, because I had trouble getting the radio stream to play on my phone and I was troubleshooting. I just got it to work moments before Pumas scored. The radio stream was 10-20 seconds ahead of the video, so I had a very sad preview. But the remarkable thing is I hear the radio call, and I start looking for the goal buildup on the video stream. I see Rogerio shoot, and during the 10 minutes it took for the ball to reach the net, I think, there's no way this is the shot that goes in. But it was.

Here's my other issue with that VAR call. No one on either team noticed anything amiss, no one in the crowd noticed anything amiss -- had they not reviewed it, no one would have even thought a millisecond about it. It's searching for a reason to chalk off a goal.

I am not a conspiracy believer, but they were trying to find a reason to take that goal off the board. Complete shambles.

from my understanding, all goals are reviewed.

i mean signing up to the conspiracy theory that chapman "influenced" the decision maker is tempting.

Reactions: moogoo
Additionally, even if it does touch his hand, is that not ball-to-hand? If we're going to chalk that off while the guy is being tackled from behind, with his hand in a natural position, that's absurd. Even if it does touch his hand -- which I still have not seen conclusive evidence of -- it's still a bullshit call that should never be made in that spot.
This part doesn't matter. It is considered a handball offense if:

1628783494335.png

you mean MLS reddit? or nycfc reddit. they seem two very different beings. nycfc reddit feels more casual fans. mls reddit normally just hates nycfc in anything.
It was both really, but mostly r/NYCFC. On r/MLS I discount anything from the non-NYC fans for the reason you mention, but there was at least one NYCFC fan on the MLS game thread making the same points.

i think we can all agree the handball VAR call was shady at best. there was nothing clear and obvious about it.

we played great last night and if we had earlier subs, i think we would have put the game away in regular time. thiago was magical and energetic when he came on and given more than just 10 minutes, i think he would have found the net or created a goal for someone else.

late subs didn't help us and while subs don't equate to tactics, in my opinion, how he uses his subs is a great indicator of how well he is reading the game and players. subs can be for tired legs or for tactical reasons, but you cannot implement your tactics if you have tired legs. a good manager who values his tactics would see that it's not being implemented well with the players on the field, and he would make the sub to make it better or change the tactics all together.

ronny doesn't seem to do that. his subs often times seem like a last ditch effort, hail mary type sub than anything. some of the boys were really tired by the 70th minute and watching from home, that was obvious. how he couldn't see that from the sidelines is beyond me and if he did see it and chose to do nothing about it, that's even worse.

from my understanding, all goals are reviewed.

i mean signing up to the conspiracy theory that chapman "influenced" the decision maker is tempting.

Yes all goals are reviewed, but not every goal goes to official review. To decide that is a clear and obvious error is searching for a reason to chalk it off.

And to the people on the subs -- yes, he should have subbed earlier. No, it isn't why we lost -- we lost because we got screwed.

yep. Both the VAR reviews started incredibly late (the handball one even more). Pumas players were back and ready to restart, no one was complaining, it literally came out of nowhere.

On Taty’s goal a Pumas player went to the ref and was talking with him for a while - figure if it’s been called off twice, why not try again?

I know they didn't take a lot of questions, but how does no one ask Ronny about that call? It's only the most controversial moment of the game, no need to bring it up.

Also ... to the guy who wore an NYCFC jersey to the press conference: Be professional. If you're in that situation, it's incredibly embarrassing to have a questioner at a press conference wearing a team jersey. That's just terrible. (It's also terrible that the Post and Newsday didn't have a reporter on that press conference, but that's a complaint for a different day)

yep. Both the VAR reviews started incredibly late (the handball one even more). Pumas players were back and ready to restart, no one was complaining, it literally came out of nowhere.

On Taty’s goal a Pumas player went to the ref and was talking with him for a while - figure if it’s been called off twice, why not try again?

At least the offsides call was probably offsides and is something they usually review and overturn. That handball call was phantom. No one knew anything was amiss. Play the hell on. Clear and obvious? What a joke.

I wish we had another view of the Rodriguez goal, because I went Oliver Stone's JFK on that Twitter video, and there is no alteration of the trajectory of the ball from his right arm potentially hitting it. Bullshit call.

Regardless, we should have won that game 4-0. Pumas was one of the worst teams I've ever seen play at Yankee Stadium. They were what we thought they were, but we let them off the hook. Ronny not subbing until after the 80th minute was incredibly stupid, as our guys were gassed out there, letting that shit Pumas team back in the match. Why are we letting defenders take PKs? Why is Maxi anywhere near a ball during a penalty opportunity? Why weren't our guys going for the top corners against a shrimp of a GK? The ITS penalty was PA-THET-IC.

Fuck, this team is so damn frustrating.
Agree with this post. The incompetent refs didn't make our guys be awful at finishing which they have been all season long. The refs didn't send Maxi out there to kick a PK despite YEARS of evidence that he's just not that guy.
All of our forwards should be doing finishing drills until they're able to with their eyes closed. Awful referees in MLS/CONCACAF is a given. Our guys not hitting the back of the net isn't their fault.

Reactions: Schwallacus
The incompetent refs didn't make our guys be awful at finishing which they have been all season long.
We lead the league in goals scored per game, and our goals and xGoals differ by less than one. The idea this team's problem is a failure to score even more goals has no basis in anything.

We lead the league in goals scored per game, and our goals and xGoals differ by less than one. The idea this team's problem is a failure to score even more goals has no basis in anything.

I think as fans, we want the team to outperform their xG. Meeting their xG is probably all we should be asking for, but fans are not very rational creatures. lol.

The chances missed are what stick the most, especially in a game we completely dominate but end up losing. Those missed chances don't really come across when looking at the stats.

I know they didn't take a lot of questions, but how does no one ask Ronny about that call? It's only the most controversial moment of the game, no need to bring it up.

Also ... to the guy who wore an NYCFC jersey to the press conference: Be professional. If you're in that situation, it's incredibly embarrassing to have a questioner at a press conference wearing a team jersey. That's just terrible. (It's also terrible that the Post and Newsday didn't have a reporter on that press conference, but that's a complaint for a different day)

The refereeing decisions were so egregious last night that I said to Ronny, "Talk about the officials, I'll pay the fines."

He heard me.

Yes, but it has to be a clear and obvious error to raise from "taking a look" to sending the referee to the monitor.

clear and obvious is a standard, which clearly and obviously is very different for every single ref. That needs to be addressed by all refs in every league in the world.

They used VAR so well during the 2018 world cup, but mess it up so bad in domestic leagues. Just shows that VAR mistakes are because of bad refs, not the technology.

clear and obvious is a standard, which clearly and obviously is very different for every single ref. That needs to be addressed by all refs in every league in the world.

They used VAR so well during the 2018 world cup, but mess it up so bad in domestic leagues. Just shows that VAR mistakes are because of bad refs, not the technology.

this is still my take on VAR. it also doesnt help rules keep changing, like what is the rule for a handball in the box. its gotten to the point no one really knows anymore in any league.