Let's Stick Together, Even Without Lampard

MikeDatTiger

Registered
Mar 21, 2014
New Orleans, Louisiana
Most of you know me by now but if not, I'm a Man City fan from NOLA. I started following NYCFC through the Man City account and I got very excited for what this club could mean for US Soccer, MLS, etc.

Like most of you, I feel duped, embarrassed and angry. I've been on here and on twitter telling people how great this would be, how different this would be from failed experiments like Chivas USA, how we weren't a feeder club, etc. For a while this afternoon, I wondered whether I should even stay rooting for NYCFC.

People come to start rooting for sports teams for many reasons. There was a hashtag going around earlier today about why you started rooting for NYCFC. Maybe you came because they were a team in New York City. maybe you came because they were a Manchester City affiliate. Maybe you came because you just hated the Red Bulls name. Whatever.

But when people asked why we supported a team that had never played, they had a point. Those are all good reasons to start rooting for a team, but not very good reasons to stay rooting for a team. The location, the crest, the kit, the owners, the players, the coaches, etc. can all change like that. Why do people stay rooting?

Well, in my experience, it's because of the community that builds around a team. People say fans root for laundry, but that's never true. People root for a team because their friend, their father, their co-workers all as one live and die with the fortunes of a team. That communal experience in a world where people rarely leave their house or look up from their phone is so rare, so precious. That's what drives fans to stick through thick and thin with a team, regardless of the team's fortunes.

I decided this afternoon to stick with NYCFC not because of any more naivety about the club but because of the community of awesome people who loved NYCFC that I've been fortunate enough to interact with here. I've had a blast on here since March, and I couldn't imagine ditching this.

I get some people are angry and want to dump their season tickets. I understand completely, and wish you well with no ill feeling. But I hope you stay. For so long, we've been called Plastic. Now's a chance to prove them wrong. Let's stick together, despite the abuse and jokes that are coming our way.

We don't need Frank Lampard or Manchester City or MLS to create an incredible community of fans; we've done it without them already, right here. And this community is worth keeping. So please, stick around.

The door is wide open for those who can't stand the heat.

Well said. As soon as I learned that this incredible city was getting a team, I started thinking and dreaming about the tradition I could start with my little 3 year old boy, going to games from the very beginning, learning to love a team together. He was only one when I taught him how to yell "gooooaaal" and even younger when I got him his first ManU kit (sorry, I was born and raised a Red). I am not going to let this change that. I just hope that this was one poor decision, not a sign of bad ones that could derail the excitement and big dreams of a fan base ready to embrace this team.

Just heard Frank is staying with us till the end of the season. I do think it is a bit of a pisstake to be honest but i'm glad you are going to stiick by the club.Before the take over we was bankrupt and had to sell our best players just to survive so i know how you are feeling this morning.

Reactions: einwindir
Just heard Frank is staying with us till the end of the season. I do think it is a bit of a pisstake to be honest but i'm glad you are going to stiick by the club.Before the take over we was bankrupt and had to sell our best players just to survive so i know how you are feeling this morning.
How I feel is I am purely turned off the Manchester City, I will support NYC. New York is the greatest city in the world, there is a reason it is the capital of of the world, New York sports treat there teams that way, but if you Piss of we will never let you forget it. We will support this team but the player is persona nom grata and the UK team will get no love form US fans.

Last edited:
Most of you know me by now but if not, I'm a Man City fan from NOLA. I started following NYCFC through the Man City account and I got very excited for what this club could mean for US Soccer, MLS, etc.

Like most of you, I feel duped, embarrassed and angry. I've been on here and on twitter telling people how great this would be, how different this would be from failed experiments like Chivas USA, how we weren't a feeder club, etc. For a while this afternoon, I wondered whether I should even stay rooting for NYCFC.

People come to start rooting for sports teams for many reasons. There was a hashtag going around earlier today about why you started rooting for NYCFC. Maybe you came because they were a team in New York City. maybe you came because they were a Manchester City affiliate. Maybe you came because you just hated the Red Bulls name. Whatever.

But when people asked why we supported a team that had never played, they had a point. Those are all good reasons to start rooting for a team, but not very good reasons to stay rooting for a team. The location, the crest, the kit, the owners, the players, the coaches, etc. can all change like that. Why do people stay rooting?

Well, in my experience, it's because of the community that builds around a team. People say fans root for laundry, but that's never true. People root for a team because their friend, their father, their co-workers all as one live and die with the fortunes of a team. That communal experience in a world where people rarely leave their house or look up from their phone is so rare, so precious. That's what drives fans to stick through thick and thin with a team, regardless of the team's fortunes.

I decided this afternoon to stick with NYCFC not because of any more naivety about the club but because of the community of awesome people who loved NYCFC that I've been fortunate enough to interact with here. I've had a blast on here since March, and I couldn't imagine ditching this.

I get some people are angry and want to dump their season tickets. I understand completely, and wish you well with no ill feeling. But I hope you stay. For so long, we've been called Plastic. Now's a chance to prove them wrong. Let's stick together, despite the abuse and jokes that are coming our way.

We don't need Frank Lampard or Manchester City or MLS to create an incredible community of fans; we've done it without them already, right here. And this community is worth keeping. So please, stick around.
well said man, and i agree with everything. one thing I wont support is that giant Etihad on the jersey lol. im not going to be a walking billboard, but i love the community nonetheless

Reactions: NYCFCFan10
Bronx and you?
Upstate.

I, too, don't like the advertising on the jersey but that's standard practice in soccer. Its funny, Americans never had a problem with selling the naming rights to the stadium, but never liked advertising on the uniform. Euros can't stand selling the naming rights of their stadium but don't mind the fact that betting websites get far more real estate on their uniforms than their own team.

Go figure.

Upstate.

I, too, don't like the advertising on the jersey but that's standard practice in soccer. Its funny, Americans never had a problem with selling the naming rights to the stadium, but never liked advertising on the uniform. Euros can't stand selling the naming rights of their stadium but don't mind the fact that betting websites get far more real estate on their uniforms than their own team.

Go figure.
i look at it as a stadium is owned or advertised by a company, I don't mind saying for example "I'm going to go watch the Rockets" although their court is named after Toyota, no one really says The Toyota Center unless it's the media, they simply refer as the Rockets. a jersey on the other hand is a huge commitment to that company I believe. you're basically paying a company 100+ dollars to advertise for them. i think Europe should rethink their arguments if what you say is true lol

Reactions: NYCFCFan10
i look at it as a stadium is owned or advertised by a company, I don't mind saying for example "I'm going to go watch the Rockets" although their court is named after Toyota, no one really says The Toyota Center unless it's the media, they simply refer as the Rockets. a jersey on the other hand is a huge commitment to that company I believe. you're basically paying a company 100+ dollars to advertise for them. i think Europe should rethink their arguments if what you say is true lol

I'd much rather have ads on the jerseys and around the field than 20+ commercial breaks during the game.

I'd much rather have ads on the jerseys and around the field than 20+ commercial breaks during the game.
truth. i agree. but instead of just jersey ads or stadium named after companies, we have both for most teams. if you want to buy it, that's a personal choice. mine is to not buy it, unless they give it for free, then cool. ill advertise for you lol