Looking Ahead - Winter Window

Joel Campbell would be an excellent MLS signing. That's a terrific shout by Marito Marito

Regarding the next DP, tell me what happens with Herrera and I will tell you what position we need. If Herrera goes, I am more concerned with getting a box to box midfielder than a Striker or Winger. If Herrera somehow stays another year, then it depends on the formation. Would you prefer to partner Villa with another Striker or do you move Wallace or Harrison there? Wallace has played as a Secondary Striker this year already, and there could be cover at LB/LWB with Matarrita or Sweat. Harrison is a natural CAM, so a move there wouldn't be unheard, but probably not ideal. The alternative in that formation is Harrison playing as a RWB. I'm sure he can play it, but I'm not convinced we want that.

Much more likely you see a 3-4-3 than a 3-5-2 as well. A 3-4-3 with Herrera means you go out and get a RWB. A 3-4-3 without Herrera means you desperately need another CM.

Joel Campbell would be an excellent MLS signing. That's a terrific shout by Marito Marito

Regarding the next DP, tell me what happens with Herrera and I will tell you what position we need. If Herrera goes, I am more concerned with getting a box to box midfielder than a Striker or Winger. If Herrera somehow stays another year, then it depends on the formation. Would you prefer to partner Villa with another Striker or do you move Wallace or Harrison there? Wallace has played as a Secondary Striker this year already, and there could be cover at LB/LWB with Matarrita or Sweat. Harrison is a natural CAM, so a move there wouldn't be unheard, but probably not ideal. The alternative in that formation is Harrison playing as a RWB. I'm sure he can play it, but I'm not convinced we want that.

Much more likely you see a 3-4-3 than a 3-5-2 as well. A 3-4-3 with Herrera means you go out and get a RWB. A 3-4-3 without Herrera means you desperately need another CM.
Is this what you and Claudio discussed Saturday night after dinner? :)

I still think you and he were neighbors/are family friends, or if not him, somebody else in the FO.

I think in a 3-4-3, Wallace becomes a utility player (LM, LW, ST) or starts at LM with Matarrita on the bench. Moralez ends up on the LW cutting inside like Harrison on the RW. Lewis and Okoli/Shelton round out the offensive bench.

You're right, without Herrera, central midfield becomes the team's biggest hole. I wonder if there's any chance at Khedira yet to pair with Ring in the middle.

I think in a 3-4-3, Wallace becomes a utility player (LM, LW, ST) or starts at LM with Matarrita on the bench. Moralez ends up on the LW cutting inside like Harrison on the RW. Lewis and Okoli/Shelton round out the offensive bench.

You're right, without Herrera, central midfield becomes the team's biggest hole. I wonder if there's any chance at Khedira yet to pair with Ring in the middle.

Two thoughts:

1) In a 3-4-3, my understanding is that it plays more as a 3-4-2-1. The RWB and LWB are your only true wide players and you have two CAMs underneath your Striker. I'm thinking Ozil and Hazard here. I also could be entirely wrong as I don't understand tactics like many others do here.

2) I have no clue who they will target, except that we shouldn't be wowed by the next DP in terms of name recognition. That being said, you do raise an interesting point regarding a guy like Khedira. He's going to the World Cup next summer, more likely than not. How do we feel about waiting until late July before the 3rd DP joins? I know the team isn't targeting a high profile move to replace Pirlo, but that doesn't mean the player won't be on a World Cup roster. We could sign someone that plays for Ivory Coast or Switzerland or Ireland for all we know.

Two thoughts:

2) I have no clue who they will target, except that we shouldn't be wowed by the next DP in terms of name recognition. That being said, you do raise an interesting point regarding a guy like Khedira. He's going to the World Cup next summer, more likely than not. How do we feel about waiting until late July before the 3rd DP joins? I know the team isn't targeting a high profile move to replace Pirlo, but that doesn't mean the player won't be on a World Cup roster. We could sign someone that plays for Ivory Coast or Switzerland or Ireland for all we know.

I disagree about the fact we won't be wowed. I think they target someone bigger (and taller, ba dum tis) than Maxi Moralez, but said DP won't have the name recognition with the casual fan. So yeah, I agree with you about no Iniesta or Rooney or even some "lesser" superstars like Marchisio. But I think it'll be someone that is generally known by the highly engaged fans like those that post here.

Two thoughts:

1) In a 3-4-3, my understanding is that it plays more as a 3-4-2-1. The RWB and LWB are your only true wide players and you have two CAMs underneath your Striker. I'm thinking Ozil and Hazard here. I also could be entirely wrong as I don't understand tactics like many others do here.

Agreed, and I think the lineup I laid out works well.

S: Villa
F: Moralez, Harrison
M: Matarrita, Ring, CM, RWB
D: Callens, Chanot, Ferraresi

B: Wallace (LWB/LF/ST), Okoli (ST), Lewis (LF/RF), White (CB/RWB), CM, CB

DP on the CM spot, TAM on the RWB, and two more quality signings for CM and CB depth at a minimum.

EDIT: There's also Juanfran as a potential DP for the RWB spot, as his contract expires next summer with Atletico. Would be an interesting opportunistic signing. He's been a spectator at our games before.

I'm definitely willing to wait for DP3 if DP1 and DP2 are on the field. And we have the depth ahead of time to manage the first half of the season.

Last edited:
S: Villa
F: Moralez, Harrison
M: Matarrita, Ring, CM, RWB
D: Callens, Chanot, Ferraresi

As someone that has been sleeping on Brillant most the year, I can tell you that you are greatly sleeping on Brillant. That is not to say Ferraresi won't be a stud, but he has yet to play a single match in a top flight. Not ready to say he's gonna dethrone someone who has been phenomenal as a starter for us. Love everything else though, besides no Herrera :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Christopher Jee
All these lineups, is Fuchs not coming here anymore?

Reactions: Kjbert
Let's not forget that TAM is going up next year, not only from the scheduled increase, but also the Adidas deal.

I think we're going to have a few more new starters than who's listed; I.e. Somebody we love this year may be pushed to the bench next year, which isn't bad to have for depth and rotation.

Maybe Fuchs is TAM. Maybe we find a Ring-clone from another 2nd tier league. if we could score with two more under the radar players like Callens & Ring, to go with a new DP striker, and Fuchs, I'd be pretty stoked.

The number one thing we have to do is offload TMac.

Let's not forget that TAM is going up next year, not only from the scheduled increase, but also the Adidas deal.

I think we're going to have a few more new starters than who's listed; I.e. Somebody we love this year may be pushed to the bench next year, which isn't bad to have for depth and rotation.

Maybe Fuchs is TAM. Maybe we find a Ring-clone from another 2nd tier league. if we could score with two more under the radar players like Callens & Ring, to go with a new DP striker, and Fuchs, I'd be pretty stoked.

The number one thing we have to do is offload TMac.

Ring clone you say?

giphy.gif

I disagree about the fact we won't be wowed. I think they target someone bigger (and taller, ba dum tis) than Maxi Moralez, but said DP won't have the name recognition with the casual fan. So yeah, I agree with you about no Iniesta or Rooney or even some "lesser" superstars like Marchisio. But I think it'll be someone that is generally known by the highly engaged fans like those that post here.

I was told specifically "more like Moralez." How many of us knew who the hell he was?

I'm not saying a guy like that or Lodeiro of Piatti can't be a good DP. I knew none of those guys. But don't expect Khedira.

My HOPE is that they take the money they're saving and spend it on Villa's replacement.

I was told specifically "more like Moralez." How many of us knew who the hell he was?

I'm not saying a guy like that or Lodeiro of Piatti can't be a good DP. I knew none of those guys. But don't expect Khedira.

My HOPE is that they take the money they're saving and spend it on Villa's replacement.

I think we're just disagreeing over semantics, but agree 100% about the Villa replacement.

Reactions: Kjbert
I'm surprised this hasn't been brought up before. According to American Soccer Analysis we are in first place for expected goal ratio. (This was last updated on the 15th) When this was last updated we had 3 more expected goals than Toronto and yet only had one more. Yes we have a dynamic offense but it can get even better if we add another striker to the team. Next year is for sure our year if we can find that poacher Villa can play under.

Moralez could have been Lodeiro or Piatti. I hope we get that right next time.

If Herrera returns, I'm not super concerned about the DP next season. But once Villa retires, all 3 DPs need to perform at that level.
I get your point, but expecting all 3 DPs to perform at the level of Lodeiro or Piatti is a bit much IMO. What teams have that kind of production from 3 DPs? Atlanta, Chicago, and Toronto are close I guess.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I get your point, but expecting all 3 DPs to perform at the level of Lodeiro or Piatti is a bit much IMO. What teams have that kind of production from 3 DPs? Atlanta, Chicago, and Toronto are close I guess.

Toronto has the best DP assortment in MLS history, plus they have the best TAM player in MLS at the moment in Vasquez. It's no wonder they are running away with the Supporters Shield.

Their 3 DPs are better than our 2nd and 3rd DPs at the moment. Their TAM player is better than our 2nd and 3rd DPs right now too.

If we were SKC or Orlando or San Jose, you live with DPs that are borderline. We should expect more. That's all.

Really, it's impossible to speculate. We negotiated with Juventus to sign an Italian guy with ginormous name recognition to a $6 million annual salary, and it didn't work out (outside of ticket sales); Toronto negotiated with the same club to sign another Italian guy without much name recognition to a $6 M annual salary, and it's been a jackpot for them. Both are pretty much at the very top of MLS pyramid in terms of salary. What I'm trying to say is that if we're poaching from big teams in big leagues, we may sign somebody who is riding pine, without great name recognition, and still destined to be a huge star in MLS. Name recognition for casual fans is really something like 100 to 200 players, and some guys who get no chances in La Liga or Serie A would take MLS by storm.

Moreover, we all know Pirlo didn't work for CFG as an investment, but we don't know if CFG is unhappy with the amount of $$$ they are putting into the team right now as a general principle (look at the money spent in annual salary by teams like Galaxy or Orlando, and then we're doing great). So we can't know if, when Pirlo retires, they are going to look for a $1.5 million guy or a $6.5 million guy. And then we don't know if, within that budget, they are going to shop for the highest name recognition (which at $1.5 would probably get them a really washed out former superstar) or for the greatest potential.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
Really, it's impossible to speculate. We negotiated with Juventus to sign an Italian guy with ginormous name recognition to a $6 million annual salary, and it didn't work out (outside of ticket sales); Toronto negotiated with the same club to sign another Italian guy without much name recognition to a $6 M annual salary, and it's been a jackpot for them. Both are pretty much at the very top of MLS pyramid in terms of salary. What I'm trying to say is that if we're poaching from big teams in big leagues, we may sign somebody who is riding pine, without great name recognition, and still destined to be a huge star in MLS. Name recognition for casual fans is really something like 100 to 200 players, and some guys who get no chances in La Liga or Serie A would take MLS by storm.

Your Pirlo point raises an interesting question - did Pirlo have a positive Return on Investment?