March Madness

roxfontaine

Level Up
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 7, 2015
I'm Around
The tournament is on fire already! Who are your picks? Did your bracket get wrecked by Baylor, SMU or Iowa State?

Thank god I never bothered to make a bracket.

It truly is Madness. The former and current Big East boys doing work!

I've never watched NCAA sports so I'm not sure how it works but how do people usually pick the teams they like? Is it just like professional sports? Is it more based on area or where you go to college? I ask because everybody around me are Syracuse fans, which makes sense. But I've seen people who are Duke fans, or UNC fans. Do college teams get followings like professional teams get?

I've never watched NCAA sports so I'm not sure how it works but how do people usually pick the teams they like? Is it just like professional sports? Is it more based on area or where you go to college? I ask because everybody around me are Syracuse fans, which makes sense. But I've seen people who are Duke fans, or UNC fans. Do college teams get followings like professional teams get?

Yeah, just like professional sports. Lots of people will root for the local team and/or the team they went to school at. I went to LSU, so I cheer for LSU. A lot of people also will have rooting interests in the big name teams like Duke and UNC. Often those big name programs won't cross paths with your local team, so rooting for them both rarely presents a problem.

Yeah, I picked against LSU so I'm happy. Currently tied for second in my office pool.

I feel like I'm going to take some serious hits in today's round of games. I always make bold picks in the first round.

Is it just like professional sports? Is it more based on area or where you go to college??

Just like pro sports, people pick the schools they like based on anything and everything.

But fandom usually starts with current students and alumni (for example, I went to Rutgers so I support everything RU).

Sadly, student-athletes do NOT get paid even though the NCAA is a billion dollar business. Yes, they get a scholarship, but that's a different debate.

How do you live in the Syracuse area and ask that question? Where are you from?

Syracuse consistently plays to some of the largest crowds in the world for basketball:

Carrier%20Dome%20basketball.jpg

Syracuse consistently plays to some of the largest crowds in the world for basketball:

Carrier%20Dome%20basketball.jpg
Yeah I know that, my parents have season tickets. I was just wondering how people pick teams if they aren't from the area.

Out of 11.57 million brackets on ESPN....

0 remain accurate.

Which is odd because I find this year more predictable than last year and there were several right brackets at the end of the tournament if I remember correctly.

Virginia screwed me over after I got all excited about Villanova losing. This tourney is all over the place.

Notre Dame going toe-to-toe,with Kentucky right now. The Irish fans are in a frenzy because ND is giving Kentucky all they can handle right now.

Dunk after dunk.