Matarrita at the Copa

Kjbert

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Apr 24, 2014
Thought he played decently tonight but that Yedlin ate his lunch.

It's amazing how much Yedlin has improved in 12 months.

Didn't really see it that way. We got to look at Mata from the perspective of what he's asked to do. CR asked him to get forward and get forward very often. Which he did and he did it very well. Great interchanging play down the left hand side and put in some great balls and helped CR create chances which they didn't capitalize on.
Now with that said when you're asked to constantly get forward like that you can find yourself behind the ball a lot as a defender.
Similar to the situation at NYCFC. Can't count how many times he's been past the midfield line and NYCFC turn it over and the opposing team springs an attack with a ball down his side.
It happens to the best teams in the world just not as often because they can maintain posession and don't waste those runs.
The amount of times Mata gets forward and runs end line to end line is asking a lot out of a defender. The guy really puts in a shift.
I don't recall too many times when he was in his natural position and someone took him on and got past him into the box. Most of the times it came from counters with him getting behind the play.
Although he did have a lot of runs down that side where he embarrassed our defense. Couple of nutmegs too. It'll be very difficult to keep him next year especially with how he's looked for his national team. Some euro side will take a shot for sure.

He was so far up so often it felt like they moved him to wing. He'd even drift into the top of the box at points. I'd love to see a heat map of his from last night.

Reactions: Kjbert
Thought he played decently tonight but that Yedlin ate his lunch.

It's amazing how much Yedlin has improved in 12 months.
I agree, Mata played a good game putting in his usual dangerous crosses, but I was really impressed with how Yedlin played. Didn't allow Mata to penetrate to the endline mostly, and beat him a few times on offense. I think he beat Mata to get the first cross that led to the penalty.

Granted, matarrita wasn't playing the position he plays for us, he was playing the wing back in a 5 man back line. More offense expected out of him in that formation.

I agree, Mata played a good game putting in his usual dangerous crosses, but I was really impressed with how Yedlin played. Didn't allow Mata to penetrate to the endline mostly, and beat him a few times on offense. I think he beat Mata to get the first cross that led to the penalty.

Granted, matarrita wasn't playing the position he plays for us, he was playing the wing back in a 5 man back line. More offense expected out of him in that formation.
Mata burned the shit out of Zardes who was supposed to track him.

i thought mata made yedlin look like a chump a few times this game, and don't recall yedlin doing that back to mata.

Mata looked terrific. So did Yedlin. I really enjoyed watching them that battle. Yedlin is quicker, which makes it easier for him to recover defensively when he goes forward. Yedlin is also more disciplined, a little better positionally, basically all the things that come with 2 years or so more experience. Mata is a younger version that is slightly back on the learning curve but catching up. Most of the battle was on our defensive end, which says more about Mata's aggressiveness than about their relative play.

Remember that Costa Rica were playing a 5-3-2, so they were expecting their fullbacks to get upfield quite a bit.

I saw Yedlin stop Mata a few times, but I did see Mata get several dangerous crosses in and get past Yedlin once or twice. He also did a good job cutting in before the penalty area and making a lateral run to open up play. He was probably their most dangerous guy. Mata also beat Zardes a few times. I thought Gyasi played rather poorly.

The good news is that - barring a big upset of Colombia and a USA meltdown - Costa Rica will be done this weekend, and our boy will be back in the fold vs. Philly.

I thought Yedlin was the better offensive and defensive player. Matarrita provided the better chances. Matarrita is a beautiful crosser of the ball. Imagine a guy like that serving in passes to a target forward like Diego Costa.

Unfortunately, neither Costa Rica nor NYCFC have a target forward. His chances are often wasted.

Yedlin made Matarrita look foolish on the cross that led to the PK.

huh, didnt realize that mata was beat on that cross for the pk. lazy effort from mata and really bit on the fake.

Mata made one Pirlo like threaded pass to the striker in the middle. It was beautiful.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
Makes you wonder if Matarrita is truly a Left Back or a LW.

Reactions: adam
IMO he was definitely the best player on the field for them...but he didn't play great defense and isn't the best winger...other than a some sweet crosses. He's a really good LM in a 3 back formation, that's it.

Last edited:
IMO he was definitely the best player on the field for them...but he didn't play great defense and isn't the best winger...other than a some sweet crosses. He's a really good LM in a 3 back formation, that's it.

He's Fabian Johnson with a better work rate (style wise)

Played GREAT to close out his tournament.
I thought was utterly abused by Cuadrado once Columbia made the sub, when he was even back to defend.

He's not close to Johnson's attacking intelligence. But he's far younger, so maybe that comes.

Reactions: Gotham Gator