Melbourne Heart/city

Melbourne City

Registered
May 12, 2014
Hey guys can't wait for the big future our teams are going to have in the City family.

If anyone hears any news on our Melbourne team, don't be shy to post in this thread please.

P.S We are all rubbing our hands waiting on NYC'S marquee signing, because he will have his first pre season and play his first 8 games down under! Looking forward to watching the MLS and cheering on your NYC Fc, good luck and all best. Go you boys in blue...

Welcome! Great to see a supporter of our sister club over here.

While I know you can't speak on behalf of all the Supporters:
What has the transition been like?

How do Melbourne Heart supporters see MCFC and NYC FC?

Is it confirmed or are there rumors of a complete rebranding ie Melbourne City?

Thanks again for joining!

Our club has under performed as a whole since day one, to inconsistent on and off the field. For me as a football lover, I put the sport before my club any day. If City comes along and changes our look well so be it, I see it as a big footballing decision that has to be done to put our team on the map, somewhere it has never been before.

Not much has been finalised at all to tell you the truth, but deep down we all no what's coming our way in the next few months... For some it's like winning the lottery and for others it's like loosing something that they fell in love with, even if they knew it was never going to work.

The way I see it is, at the end of the day Melbourne Heart was a business that never took off, the owners had (X) amount of dollars to invest into it and failed to make an income to sustain a healthy budget and get bums on seats. They were willing to listen to offers long before City came along, so it wasn't a knock on the door and run sale, they knew what the future held for them(and it wasn't bright...) That's why our foundation coach JVS had left in the first place, he was quoted saying ("The club had no direction.") His back now coaching for many reasons ($$$$).

To the supporters that are angry about our identity change, in maybe colours name ect... They should consider themselves lucky enough to have some involvement in this magical transformation, not only to Melbourne Heart but to Australian football! Because Sydney could have easily accepted City offers, and Heart could of easily been non existent in the near future and we'd be watching from the side lines with no team at all.
We have some stupid, aragant, stubborn supporters who would rather see that happen instead of City change us to sky blue... Just to keep their pride.
(Heart was three years old, it wasn't founded in 1908)

I can't wait to pay my membership knowing that I will receive stable and attractive football for years to come, this for me is a dream come true... We needed the lows to appreciate what's to come. Com'n you Melbourne boys!!

Reactions: Goodfella
Am I alone in feeling that NYCFC and Melbourne City fanbases will be much closer and friendly than Manchester and NYCFC? Seems a bit of a rivalry there....

Our club has under performed as a whole since day one, to inconsistent on and off the field. For me as a football lover, I put the sport before my club any day. If City comes along and changes our look well so be it, I see it as a big footballing decision that has to be done to put our team on the map, somewhere it has never been before.

Not much has been finalised at all to tell you the truth, but deep down we all no what's coming our way in the next few months... For some it's like winning the lottery and for others it's like loosing something that they fell in love with, even if they knew it was never going to work.

The way I see it is, at the end of the day Melbourne Heart was a business that never took off, the owners had (X) amount of dollars to invest into it and failed to make an income to sustain a healthy budget and get bums on seats. They were willing to listen to offers long before City came along, so it wasn't a knock on the door and run sale, they knew what the future held for them(and it wasn't bright...) That's why our foundation coach JVS had left in the first place, he was quoted saying ("The club had no direction.") His back now coaching for many reasons ($$$$).

To the supporters that are angry about our identity change, in maybe colours name ect... They should consider themselves lucky enough to have some involvement in this magical transformation, not only to Melbourne Heart but to Australian football! Because Sydney could have easily accepted City offers, and Heart could of easily been non existent in the near future and we'd be watching from the side lines with no team at all.
We have some stupid, aragant, stubborn supporters who would rather see that happen instead of City change us to sky blue... Just to keep their pride.
(Heart was three years old, it wasn't founded in 1908)

I can't wait to pay my membership knowing that I will receive stable and attractive football for years to come, this for me is a dream come true... We needed the lows to appreciate what's to come. Com'n you Melbourne boys!!
This is an interesting perspective. There seems to be a strong divide between MH supporters. There are those who embrace what is, for lack of a better term, inevitable and those who have an almost visceral hate for City.

Yes, MH loses its identity, but the team is 3 years and was (apparently) failing as a club. There can literally only be good things left. Of course the other option would be the team completely folding, so at the very least City offers stability.

Am I alone in feeling that NYCFC and Melbourne City fanbases will be much closer and friendly than Manchester and NYCFC? Seems a bit of a rivalry there....
Anything but acknowledging MCFC. Seriously, it's a shame. We're the best damn city in the world. We are no one's minor league. To hell with MCFC. We are THE CITY.

Anything but acknowledging MCFC. Seriously, it's a shame. We're the best damn city in the world. We are no one's minor league. To hell with MCFC. We are THE CITY.
This sounds a bit childish to me. The resources and know how MCFC brings as OWNERS to NYCFC should be respected. NYCFC could have ended up with an owner who know nothing about soccer.

I get the feeling ppl are so afraid of being a mini city they forget the good intentions. Whats important is that we now have a soccer team in NYC with the type of owners to make it the best team in the country.

Reactions: AndreT_NY
It's naive to think that Man City's intentions are guided by anything other than money. They're not doing this as a gift to the people of New York. It's to make money for Man City which they're perfectly entitled to do. Your point stands though. They won't make any money unless NYCFC is a success so they'll do their best to ensure that that is the case.

I'm happy to let that go on in the background though. As a fan of NYCFC I'm uneasy with the idea that our owners see us as their side project. New York City shouldn't be a side project. Plenty of fans around the world are unhappy with their ownership; Hull, Cardiff, Newcastle to name but three in Britain. This doesn't diminish their love of the team and their love of the team doesn't stop them from speaking out about their ownership.

The difference here is that no one is a hard core, dedicated fan of Vincent Tan, for example. There are plenty of hardcore, dedicated fans of Man City who are more than willing to fight back if someone speaks out against them!

Last edited:
It's naive to think that Man City's intentions are guided by anything other than money. They're not doing this as a gift to the people of New York. It's to make money for Man City which they're perfectly entitled to do. Your point stands though. They won't make any money unless NYCFC is a success so they'll do their best to ensure that that is the case.

I'm happy to let that go on in the background though. As a fan of NYCFC I'm uneasy with the idea that our owners see us as their side project. New York City shouldn't be a side project. Plenty of fans around the world are unhappy with their ownership; Hull, Cardiff, Newcastle to name but three in Britain. This doesn't diminish their love of the team and their love of the team doesn't stop them from speaking out about their ownership.

The difference here is that no one is a hard core, dedicated fan of Vincent Tan, for example. There are plenty of hardcore, dedicated fans of Man City who are more than willing to fight back if someone speaks out against them!
What have Man city done to deserve any stick? therese a reason 100% of all city fans love the owners. and why the majority of Cardiff fans do not have the same affection for theirs.

How exactly are NYCFC a side project? NYCFC have a dedicated director of football and high qualified personel on all the important posts, to run this soccer club by it self, only difference is, NYCFC have MCFCs unlimted rescourses and know how available to them. If you believe there exist anyone who could possible be a better owner to make NYCFC the best club in the country, please enlighened me.

Reactions: grandsolo
What have Man city done to deserve any stick? therese a reason 100% of all city fans love the owners. and why the majority of Cardiff fans do not have the same affection for theirs.

How exactly are NYCFC a side project? NYCFC have a dedicated director of football and high qualified personel on all the important posts, to run this soccer club by it self, only difference is, NYCFC have MCFCs unlimted rescourses and know how available to them. If you believe there exist anyone who could possible be a better owner to make NYCFC the best club in the country, please enlighened me.

Mate I'm doing my best not to get drawn into one of these Man City vs the world arguments. Man City's owners are awesome for Man City. They've bought success for the club while improving the club's infrastructure and investing in the future. Man City fans should of course be very happy with them.

I'm very grateful to them for helping to realise NYCFC but whichever way you look at it they own three clubs now. Do you think they love all their children equally? Personally, I don't have many complaints with our ownership. They have buckets of money, they'll share expert information and know how and they want to make the club a success. As I said though, I'm uneasy with the club being a side project. You contested that point in your last post but I don't think anyone can deny that Man City are the ownership's priority.

I'd draw a comparison with the British Empire but I don't think anyone's as big of a history nerd as I am.

This sounds a bit childish to me. The resources and know how MCFC brings as OWNERS to NYCFC should be respected. NYCFC could have ended up with an owner who know nothing about soccer.

I get the feeling ppl are so afraid of being a mini city they forget the good intentions. Whats important is that we now have a soccer team in NYC with the type of owners to make it the best team in the country.

If the team is even close to a mini MC, it will fail. They need to keep that association in the background as much as possible. Shared ownership needs to be the extent of it, and the "global branding" talk needs to settle down (I think they are starting to pick up on that).

I appreciate that they have money, but any NYC owner given the franchise was going to have a shit load of that. We don't owe MC respect or gratitude because they are doing the minimum of what's expected.

That's it for me. You can keeping tugging your sky blue veiner now.

Last edited:
Reactions: CTNYCFC and Coop
What in trying to say is, why not give them the benefit of doubt. Until now your "horror stories" are not justified in the actions taken by the club. My impression of NYCFCs management might be different to yours. i see some of the best qualified ppl in the business doing what they can to make nycfc a true NYC club. PS. if i could chose between an asian tycoon who love watching football on tv or an actual football club with the infrastructure and know how, i know wich kind of owner i rather hage to support me. I guess i feel someone need to defend MCFC a bit until they show us the contrary.

And I wasn't attacking them. Just making the point that many (most, in all likelihood) of us don't want the connection constantly on front street.

And I wasn't attacking them. Just making the point that many (most, in all likelihood) of us don't want the connection constantly on front street.
This i do agree with. It wouldnt serve CFG any good at all for that not to be the case. MCFC do their own marketing best themselves. CFG trying to build a brand which is larger than MCFC a brand which MCFC only is part of not the main actor. So common sens from a business perspective tells me NYCFC will be its own entity. otherwise this whole project would be meaningless.

People tend to forget that James Hogan (President of Etihad) is a Melbourne lad.. Just saying ;)

As for Melbourne Heart I don´t really know what they have planned for the club but at a guess we´ll hear something before the season starts.

You forget yourself.

No MCFC, no NYCFC (Barca looked at doing this 5 years ago, perhaps not in NY, and walked away). You can discount the bigger club all you like, but an ax-City player at the helm, City players coming to the club. Do me a favour.

Think big, be big, but do not bite the hand that feeds you.

You forget yourself.

No MCFC, no NYCFC (Barca looked at doing this 5 years ago, perhaps not in NY, and walked away). You can discount the bigger club all you like, but an ax-City player at the helm, City players coming to the club. Do me a favour.

Think big, be big, but do not bite the hand that feeds you.

I guess people have concerns that Man City won't give NYCFC the priority treatment that a lot of fans want and think a City of New York's stature deserves. I've seen you pushing the City agenda quite a lot here so I'm interested to see what you think of that. Maybe put some minds at rest!

Oh NYCFC will get the priority treatment alright... I can assure you that, there are so many pro NY people at top level at CFG starting with the Chairman, The CEO, The COO etc