Mix Gone?

Have you been watching this team's management for the last two seasons?

Let's hope they are noticing the same inefficiencies in our roster, when viewed against the cap. I stated a thread to highlight those where we have been efficient and inefficient in our use of cap dollars. Hopefully moving Mix is only the beginning of a big fix. As for Poku, we actually got decent production for the cap space he occupied. I would think that's a case, like Jacobson, of the player not being happy and the club doing the classy thing of letting them move on to where they want. And that may be part of the Mix equation. Hopefully, if the club does that enough more players will be willing to give NYC a chance knowing the club will let them go with a soft landing if they are not happy.

Reactions: sbrylski and Ulrich
So

So 6 million dp pirlo is ineffective for a year, until played next to iraola, but mix sucks because he can't turn khiry shelton into a player .
That's kind of my point. I won't argue on a per $ basis, but he's at a minimum our 4th best midfielder. We have no idea how much his impact on our cap even is. When the gap between him and anyone else after the Grumpy Old Men 3 is so large, I think dumping him is silly. I guess he is asking to leave since PV seems to not plan to use him, and I don't blame him. The bigger question is why PV is being so weird.

Regardless of the merits of making such a move, the fact that he's such a gem of a dude makes it harder. I'm a huge fan and supporter of his, yet I lean towards thinking it makes sense. Though I believe it does require some reservation of judgment while we see what transpires in the near and further term with the roster. I seem to be more optimistic about the management of the roster than some (I tend to block out last season and consider the off-season forward as the relevant timeframe). I would be sad to see him go.

So

So 6 million dp pirlo is ineffective for a year, until played next to iraola, but mix sucks because he can't turn khiry shelton into a player .

Pirlo costs $450k. Mix costs his full $750k because we are paying it down with allocation money.

And Pirlo has been better than Mix from the day he was signed.

I legitimately don't understand how Mix is still thought of so highly around here. He was definitely hyped up when he signed, but it's almost as if his lackluster play over the last few years is completely ignored. Argue poor usage or out of position or bad supporting cast - fact is he was lackluster.

That doesn't mean he's a bad player. That doesn't mean he isn't better than Lopez, and Vieira isn't dumb for playing Lopez over him.

But it probably means Mix isn't NYCFC's Jeter like we hoped. And at his salary (which is super, super important in this league) it is impossible to make the argument that he is an efficient use of our extremely limited funds.

He will be replaced, with reasonable ease, and we'll be better for it.

deleted for replying rather than editing. #tiredpost

That's kind of my point. I won't argue on a per $ basis, but he's at a minimum our 4th best midfielder. We have no idea how much his impact on our cap even is. When the gap between him and anyone else after the Grumpy Old Men 3 is so large, I think dumping him is silly. I guess he is asking to leave since PV seems to not plan to use him, and I don't blame him. The bigger question is why PV is being so weird.

Players you could at least argue are more impactful than Mix:

Villa
Pirlo
Lampard
Matarrita
McNamara
Iraola
Harrison
Bravo
Allen

To call Mix head-and-shoulders better than all of these guys is indefensible at this point.

Villa
Pirlo
Lampard
Matarrita
McNamara
Iraola
Harrison
Bravo
Allen

To call Mix head-and-shoulders better than all of these guys is indefensible at this point.
Can't necessarily compare different positions, but since we are, there is no way TMac is better. He's looked bad the last few times he's started. On a large field last night he was having trouble covering the space. He's cheap, that's the only reason he's being kept over Mix.

Villa
Pirlo
Lampard
Matarrita
McNamara
Iraola
Harrison
Bravo
Allen

Mix and fat Frank's passing charts have been identical at worst. Mix plays better defense. Not sure how you can compare cm to other positions on the field. Vieira seems to demand that mix run himself ragged pressing, but obviously does not expect that from Frank.

Mix is the most expensive player on the team in terms of cap space - $300k more than anyone else. And Cap space is the most important budget as NYCFC has deep pockets.

He can't even make the 18 consistently. For that kind of cost, you need him to be one of the best 2-3 players on the team. He is not, and it's not just PV "not liking him".

The contract is an albatross. If you can get out from under than you do it in a heartbeat.

Mix and fat Frank's passing charts have been identical at worst. Mix plays better defense. Not sure how you can compare cm to other positions on the field. Vieira seems to demand that mix run himself ragged pressing, but obviously does not expect that from Frank.

Except for the fact that Mix can't finish in front of a wide open goal, and mis hit/controversy or not, Frank is scoring goals right now.

Except for the fact that Mix can't finish in front of a wide open goal, and mis hit/controversy or not, Frank is scoring goals right now.
Frank has missed two or three in the past two games that mix would have been shredded for. Villa's 50 yard rebound was one.

Reactions: Ulrich

Villa
Pirlo
Lampard
Matarrita
McNamara
Iraola
Harrison
Bravo
Allen

As central midfielders? I counted Iraola as a mid in my 3 grumpy old dudes, along with FF & Pirlo. So looking at your list, it seems you agree. He's our 4th best midfielder at least.

They aren't going to discount our tickets. All I'd say is i think be should get a run of games with the first team supporting cast, as we have identified them. Someone will need to at some point soon. He's my choice. I particularly would like to see it on the road, where he can have a little space.

Exactly. People want mix to be Lopez and FF. It's not possible. Unless you're Arturo Vidal, maybe. But he ain't available for goddamn allocation money.

Pirlo costs $450k. Mix costs his full $750k because we are paying it down with allocation money.

And Pirlo has been better than Mix from the day he was signed.

I legitimately don't understand how Mix is still thought of so highly around here. He was definitely hyped up when he signed, but it's almost as if his lackluster play over the last few years is completely ignored. Argue poor usage or out of position or bad supporting cast - fact is he was lackluster.

That doesn't mean he's a bad player. That doesn't mean he isn't better than Lopez, and Vieira isn't dumb for playing Lopez over him.

But it probably means Mix isn't NYCFC's Jeter like we hoped. And at his salary (which is super, super important in this league) it is impossible to make the argument that he is an efficient use of our extremely limited funds.

He will be replaced, with reasonable ease, and we'll be better for it.
Don't pretend you know what he costs cap wise. You may be guessing right, but it's still a guess.

ETA: My tone was way more dick-ish here than I intended. That's why I'm giving myself a topic timeout.

Last edited:
Since we are using 3 DPs, I would argue that the additional $300k of Mix's salary over the cap limit should be split across Mix and the 3 DPs, since if we only used 2 spots, he would take up a 3rd.

That said, its still a large salary for the production we are currently receiving (tactics and lineup choices aside).

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Don't pretend you know what he costs cap wise. You may be guessing right, but it's still a guess.

Allocation money is not an unlimited resource. If we're using it to buy down Mix's K, then we can be using it elsewhere to pay down other Ks. You have to view everyone's cost vs the cap as their stated salary and a % of our total cap this season which is $4.47mm (with allocation $). That's 17% of our total cap for 20 players. Too high.

Allocation money is not an unlimited resource. If we're using it to buy down Mix's K, then we can be using it elsewhere to pay down other Ks. You have to view everyone's cost vs the cap as their stated salary and a % of our total cap this season which is $4.47mm (with allocation $). That's 17% of our total cap for 20 players. Too high.
I was saying that we don't really know what mechanisms are in play given he was signed when we were new. It may be a case where some part of it goes away. It may not. We just don't know. It just doesn't seem unreasonable that the total cap # drops when we lose him. If it's TAM-like money, we won't be able to use it for now, right?

If we can make a change that improves the team, I'm for it. I just don't know that we can, and I think we will need a new "Mix" by next year.

I'm irritated by the situation, and I've been too much of a dick to S sbrylski (not that he can't take it or dish it out). I'm done commenting on it for now, but I reserve my right to be a dick again when our FO shits this all up and we have Mikey Lopez starting with our playoff lives on the line.