Mix Gone?

I can acknowledge that he is far overpaid but it is hard to feel good about saying goodbye to a player who is above replacement level at every midfield position and has a good chance of significantly improving any team that takes him. I wish there were some way to loan him, even if we were still responsible for half his salary, so we still had him available next year or even the year after. As it is, I hope he goes to the west.

I've spent way too much time talking to people about NYCFC and stayed up way too late last night watching the Copa and Game of Thrones.

As a result; I had a dream Mix Diskerud was sold to Minnesota United.

Absolutely no reasoning or inside info here, just my delirious dreams, though if it happens I want it known that I dreamt it first.

I was saying that we don't really know what mechanisms are in play given he was signed when we were new. It may be a case where some part of it goes away. It may not. We just don't know. It just doesn't seem unreasonable that the total cap # drops when we lose him. If it's TAM-like money, we won't be able to use it for now, right?

If we can make a change that improves the team, I'm for it. I just don't know that we can, and I think we will need a new "Mix" by next year.

I'm irritated by the situation, and I've been too much of a dick to S sbrylski (not that he can't take it or dish it out). I'm done commenting on it for now, but I reserve my right to be a dick again when our FO shits this all up and we have Mikey Lopez starting with our playoff lives on the line.

I agree trying to understand how much cap space we have is an excersize in futility (since it means nothing if they can make up rules on the fly), and we don't know if they made up any rules for Mix. But Mix was signed before TAM existed. So unless after the fact they allowed NYC to transfer their mix GAM to TAM, we should be allowed to use it for another player or players. If not, the move doesn't make sense, since we'll still be over the cap. Unless, it's Mix asking out because he's not happy. And if that's he case, we can't fault the club either.

I complain about almost every decision this club has made, but I approve of this one and will keep my mouth shut if it comes back to bite us in the ass.

I've spent way too much time talking to people about NYCFC and stayed up way too late last night watching the Copa and Game of Thrones.

As a result; I had a dream Mix Diskerud was sold to Minnesota United.

Absolutely no reasoning or inside info here, just my delirious dreams, though if it happens I want it known that I dreamt it first.

Isn't Minnesota's sigil a raven?

I would not be surprised if there were some special arrangements put in place when we signed Mix. Maybe some extra GAM or maybe we got to flip to using TAM once that became a thing.

The important point is that if we were to move him, that would free up $760K a year to use on other players (assuming we don't agree to cover part of his salary). Combine that with the $500K in GAM we get from the Poku signing, and we can sign someone to a 2.5 year contract at $1 million per year with no net impact on the salary cap. Or, we could sign two people at $500K per year. That's a top level CB or a solid CB and solid midfielder. And it would be good for Mix because he would get more PT at the new club.

If he stays in MLS, I would look for a team with a DP spot available. That team could sign him with only a $450K salary cap hit vs. the $750K benefit we get. Of course Mix is a good TAM signing too.

Reactions: Kjbert
I would not be surprised if there were some special arrangements put in place when we signed Mix. Maybe some extra GAM or maybe we got to flip to using TAM once that became a thing.

The important point is that if we were to move him, that would free up $760K a year to use on other players (assuming we don't agree to cover part of his salary). Combine that with the $500K in GAM we get from the Poku signing, and we can sign someone to a 2.5 year contract at $1 million per year with no net impact on the salary cap. Or, we could sign two people at $500K per year. That's a top level CB or a solid CB and solid midfielder. And it would be good for Mix because he would get more PT at the new club.

If he stays in MLS, I would look for a team with a DP spot available. That team could sign him with only a $450K salary cap hit vs. the $750K benefit we get. Of course Mix is a good TAM signing too.

Gilberto wants out of Chicago and the salaries match up.

Reactions: Kjbert
Not that who scored stats are the be all end all, but mix is rated higher than fat frank despite the legend's two goals in two games. Frank has a grand total of one tackle in his three games back. Beating a Philly team that had just lost its best midfielder and a ninth place seattle team that has sucked all year doesn't mean we are "set" at midfield and can jettison our very talented, hard working, two way midfielder that actually plays defense. Fat Frank is a poacher in MLS. He is not playing defense. I will be shocked if we don;t get overrun vs red bulls midfield. I'd play mix over frank 10 out of 10 times vs red bulls. Mix was not on the field for 7-0 and I don;t think that is coincidental.

Not that who scored stats are the be all end all, but mix is rated higher than fat frank despite the legend's two goals in two games. Frank has a grand total of one tackle in his three games back. Beating a Philly team that had just lost its best midfielder and a ninth place seattle team that has sucked all year doesn't mean we are "set" at midfield and can jettison our very talented, hard working, two way midfielder that actually plays defense. Fat Frank is a poacher in MLS. He is not playing defense. I will be shocked if we don;t get overrun vs red bulls midfield. I'd play mix over frank 10 out of 10 times vs red bulls. Mix was not on the field for 7-0 and I don;t think that is coincidental.

On the first bolded phrase, I'd rather we have the money to buy a defender that actually plays defense.

On the second, neither did Lampard. See my post in the new Red Bull game thread, we had major issues with ball control in the midfield, Lampard can help there as well.

I think we are starting to argue in circles. Nobody is arguing that Mix is awful, and most agree that he's at least a little bit overpaid. We just disagree on the importance of his relative salary. Those who think retaining our better players at all costs want to see Mix stay, those who want to maximize cap efficiency want to see Mix leave.

At $760,000, you need to be able to beat out McNamara and Iraola. It's that simple. He hasn't.
He has so, they don;t play his position. I think that it is clear to me that there is a major personality issue with him that doesn't jibe with the two coaches we've had. That is totally his fault, but for his play, I'll take him over Frank, not to mention the rest of the drek that will be playing significant games for us down the stretch if he leaves.

Let me sum up my point this way, if mix leaves you need another CM. You can;t just say, I'm dropping 750k of salary and getting a defender and think you are going to win when Frank gets tired and Lopez is playing CM for you. So we know what 200k gets you in this league, ned grabavoy and andrew jacobson. Klestjian, (a CAM) is making 550k for the Red Bulls. If you want to sign another CM that is actually a good player, you are going to pay 500k. And there are no guarantees that he is not Nemec or Mendoza or any of the other guys who have not worked out. So, to me, to gain 200k in flexibility, which does not upgrade CB or wing, you are tossing out a very good CM and possibly fucking our entire season when Fat Frank determines that his next mild calf strain needs 4 months to rehab.

Last edited:
Personally though i trust in PV's decision as since he has joined our recruitment has improved and the team has been playing well and is currently 2nd if the conference on points and PPG.
Therefore im fine with him doing what he needs to do in order to improve the team and if that means selling a very talented player but one that does not suit his system then im ok with that.

Also, what if we signed Kevin Prince Boateng or a player of similar quality to replace Mix? Then we could make him a DP next year once FF retires.

He has so, they don;t play his position. I think that it is clear to me that there is a major personality issue with him that doesn't jibe with the two coaches we've had. That is totally his fault, but for his play, I'll take him over Frank, not to mention the rest of the drek that will be playing significant games for us down the stretch if he leaves.

Let me sum up my point this way, if mix leaves you need another CM. You can;t just say, I'm dropping 750k of salary and getting a defender and think you are going to win when Frank gets tired and Lopez is playing CM for you. So we know what 200k gets you in this league, ned grabavoy and andrew jacobson. Klestjian, (a CAM) is making 550k for the Red Bulls. If you want to sign another CM that is actually a good player, you are going to pay 500k. And there are no guarantees that he is not Nemec or Mendoza or any of the other guys who have not worked out. So, to me, to gain 200k in flexibility, which does not upgrade CB or wing, you are tossing out a very good CM and possibly fucking our entire season when Fat Frank determines that his next mild calf strain needs 4 months to rehab.

Which is why Tommy McNamara is so important here. Tommy can play wide or centrally.

We agree that the loss of Poku and Mix creates a hole in central midfield. I don't trust Lampard or Iraola to make it through the year unhurt. Bravo is decent cover. McNamara is good cover. Lopez and Ballouchy are eh. That's where it stops.

I would prefer that we find depth with a wide player instead of another CM. If Lampard is injured, McNamara slots in for him. We then need to decide whether we are content with the Mendoza/Taylor/Shelton platter is enough wide. I don't think it is. So let's go get a wide player.

Reactions: FootyLovin and adam
Personally though i trust in PV's decision as since he has joined our recruitment has improved and the team has been playing well and is currently 2nd if the conference on points and PPG.
Therefore im fine with him doing what he needs to do in order to improve the team and if that means selling a very talented player but one that does not suit his system then im ok with that.

Also, what if we signed Kevin Prince Boateng or a player of similar quality to replace Mix? Then we could make him a DP next year once FF retires.

Interesting idea. Use this GAM and Mix's salary savings to get a 4th DP and pay his 1/2 year wage with your new salary flexibility. In 2017, he slots into Lampard's role. If that is the case, who is available on a free this summer that can play as a winger?

Which is why Tommy McNamara is so important here. Tommy can play wide or centrally.

We agree that the loss of Poku and Mix creates a hole in central midfield. I don't trust Lampard or Iraola to make it through the year unhurt. Bravo is decent cover. McNamara is good cover. Lopez and Ballouchy are eh. That's where it stops.

I would prefer that we find depth with a wide player instead of another CM. If Lampard is injured, McNamara slots in for him. We then need to decide whether we are content with the Mendoza/Taylor/Shelton platter is enough wide. I don't think it is. So let's go get a wide player.

This exactly. We also have Harrison who can play centrally if need be as that's the position he played in college/growing up. We've converted him into a winger. Wingers/CBs/secondary striker and, to a lesser extent, a keeper upgrade are what we need to focus on this transfer window

Something we keep hearing from PV is that he wants players that fit his formation. He's not going to try and fit players into positions they don't play naturally. Poku and Mix weren't going to play their natural positions here. They are gone. Mullins is a target forward. We don't play that way. He's probably gone.

That being said, if Mix and Poku were moved as "extra parts" they must be looking at wingers.

Isn't Brandon Barker a winger? Or whatever the kid's name is

Something we keep hearing from PV is that he wants players that fit his formation. He's not going to try and fit players into positions they don't play naturally. Poku and Mix weren't going to play their natural positions here. They are gone. Mullins is a target forward. We don't play that way. He's probably gone.

That being said, if Mix and Poku were moved as "extra parts" they must be looking at wingers.

Isn't Brandon Barker a winger? Or whatever the kid's name is
I think Mix's position does fit PV's system. It just so happens that it is the spot that Pirlo is currently occupying.

I'm a big Mix fan, but agree his salary is quite high for his current production. As long as a decent CM depth move is made and another good signing comes from it, I'm ok with moving him. I would also hope that moving Mix means we have another year of Pirlo.

I think Mix's position does fit PV's system. It just so happens that it is the spot that Pirlo is currently occupying.

I'm a big Mix fan, but agree his salary is quite high for his current production. As long as a decent CM depth move is made and another good signing comes from it, I'm ok with moving him. I would also hope that moving Mix means we have another year of Pirlo.

This. He fit the formation but for his salary, it doesn't work.

Reactions: SoupInNYC