MLS and Apple Broadcasting Deal

7:30 PM kickoffs are damn cold in March, but the smart marketing play is to do it anyway to build the brand. Hopefully they will hand out newly developed Apple blankets.

Very curious to see the 2023 schedule.

Apple TV streaming plan details dropped: MLS Season Pass on Apple TV | MLSsoccer.com

MLS Season Pass​

An unprecedented subscription service available to fans in over 100 countries and regions featuring live broadcasts and replays of:
  • Every MLS regular season match
  • Every MLS playoff and MLS Cup match
  • Every League Cup match**

Plus the most expansive and accessible programming lineup ever:​

• Matches will feature English and Spanish broadcast crews, and a club’s home radio broadcast
  • Hundreds of live MLS NEXT Pro and MLS NEXT matches
  • An exclusive live match whip-around show so fans never miss an exciting goal or save
  • Game replays, highlights, analysis, and other original programming

Pricing​

• If you are already an Apple TV+ subscriber: $12.99/month or $79/season
  • If you are not an Apple TV+ subscriber: $14.99/month or $99/season
A selection of MLS and Leagues Cup matches, including some of the biggest playoff matchups, will also be available at no additional cost to Apple TV+ subscribers, with a limited number of matches available for free on the Apple TV app.

Subscriptions start on February 1, 2023​

• Visit apple.co/MLSNotifyMe to sign up for updates about MLS Season Pass
  • Season Ticket Holder Benefit: Each full-season ticket account will include one subscription to the MLS Season Pass on Apple TV (one per account*)

* NOTE: Eligibility restrictions and terms apply. Access to the new MLS Streaming Service on the Apple TV app will be included as part of paid full-season ticket accounts. One subscription access code per paid full-season ticket account, regardless of the total number of full season tickets on the account. Only the full-season ticket account owner can receive this benefit as verified through the account owner’s name, mailing address, email address, and payment information attributable to the account owner. One-time use only. Limited time offer. While supplies last.

** NOTE: Leagues Cup not available on Apple TV app in Mexico

Reactions: adam
Apple TV streaming plan details dropped: MLS Season Pass on Apple TV | MLSsoccer.com

MLS Season Pass​

An unprecedented subscription service available to fans in over 100 countries and regions featuring live broadcasts and replays of:
  • Every MLS regular season match
  • Every MLS playoff and MLS Cup match
  • Every League Cup match**

Plus the most expansive and accessible programming lineup ever:​

• Matches will feature English and Spanish broadcast crews, and a club’s home radio broadcast
  • Hundreds of live MLS NEXT Pro and MLS NEXT matches
  • An exclusive live match whip-around show so fans never miss an exciting goal or save
  • Game replays, highlights, analysis, and other original programming

Pricing​

• If you are already an Apple TV+ subscriber: $12.99/month or $79/season
  • If you are not an Apple TV+ subscriber: $14.99/month or $99/season
A selection of MLS and Leagues Cup matches, including some of the biggest playoff matchups, will also be available at no additional cost to Apple TV+ subscribers, with a limited number of matches available for free on the Apple TV app.

Subscriptions start on February 1, 2023​

• Visit apple.co/MLSNotifyMe to sign up for updates about MLS Season Pass
  • Season Ticket Holder Benefit: Each full-season ticket account will include one subscription to the MLS Season Pass on Apple TV (one per account*)

* NOTE: Eligibility restrictions and terms apply. Access to the new MLS Streaming Service on the Apple TV app will be included as part of paid full-season ticket accounts. One subscription access code per paid full-season ticket account, regardless of the total number of full season tickets on the account. Only the full-season ticket account owner can receive this benefit as verified through the account owner’s name, mailing address, email address, and payment information attributable to the account owner. One-time use only. Limited time offer. While supplies last.

** NOTE: Leagues Cup not available on Apple TV app in Mexico

$15/month, ugh. I mean, it's a very good deal, it's just that now I'm paying for paramount plus for CL, espn for bundesliga, and now for this. It's pricey.

...Oh, and fubo for all other stuff. It's just ridiculous at this point.

That being said, $15/month for what they're providing doesn't seem like such a bad deal at all, especially with mls next pro, mls next, AND LEAGUE CUP which i think is a HUGE point nobody exepected to be in there???

$15/month, ugh. I mean, it's a very good deal, it's just that now I'm paying for paramount plus for CL, espn for bundesliga, and now for this. It's pricey.

...Oh, and fubo for all other stuff. It's just ridiculous at this point.

That being said, $15/month for what they're providing doesn't seem like such a bad deal at all, especially with mls next pro, mls next, AND LEAGUE CUP which i think is a HUGE point nobody exepected to be in there???

I am curious how many streams per account.

i pay for espn to get la liga, bundesliga too. bundled with disney and hulu.

it all adds up for sure. so yea, this will be an additional cost per year. i'd pay the annual though and be done with it.

Reactions: Shwafta
I am curious how many streams per account.

i pay for espn to get la liga, bundesliga too. bundled with disney and hulu.

it all adds up for sure. so yea, this will be an additional cost per year. i'd pay the annual though and be done with it.
Oh wow, i didn't even notice the annual. Annual is $99 vs monthly which ends up at $180. That means if you're paying the annual, you're only paying 8.25/month. pretty sweet deal

Reactions: adam and moogoo
Oh wow, i didn't even notice the annual. Annual is $99 vs monthly which ends up at $180. That means if you're paying the annual, you're only paying 8.25/month. pretty sweet deal

And if you're already an Apple TV+ subscriber, it's $80/year, which really isn't atrocious at all. Not as expensive as I feared it would be.

Last edited:
They had to make Annual a reasonably sweet deal otherwise people would maybe sign up for 5-6 months starting in midseason to save cash.

Today really is NYCFC/MLS news day.

They had to make Annual a reasonably sweet deal otherwise people would maybe sign up for 5-6 months starting in midseason to save cash.

Today really is NYCFC/MLS news day.
But MLS isn't really 12 months. So I wonder if it's a cancel anytime feature each month. Really you only need it from March to December.

But MLS isn't really 12 months. So I wonder if it's a cancel anytime feature each month. Really you only need it from March to December.
That's at least adjacent to my point (if not my exact point). If you go monthly you can cancel. The season is long enough - 10 months as you note - that you don't save much that way, which is why I posited that some people would forego the first few months and just get the back half of the season and playoffs. But with the season discount, you can by about 6-7 individual months for the same price as full season.

NFL Sunday Ticket is only available for a full season purchase. The NFL only lasts about 5 months total. You can buy it half way thru the season, but you still pay full price. There are different ways of handling the issue, but they all come down to compelling fans to buy the full season.

That's at least adjacent to my point (if not my exact point). If you go monthly you can cancel. The season is long enough - 10 months as you note - that you don't save much that way, which is why I posited that some people would forego the first few months and just get the back half of the season and playoffs. But with the season discount, you can by about 6-7 individual months for the same price as full season.

NFL Sunday Ticket is only available for a full season purchase. The NFL only lasts 5-6 months total. You can buy it half way thru the season, but you still pay full price. There are different ways of handling the issue, but they all come down to compelling fans to buy the full season.

i'd like to know if we get multiple streams per account. then you can find people sharing accounts and saving more money. i'd be all for that. lol.

Reactions: adam
i'd like to know if we get multiple streams per account. then you can find people sharing accounts and saving more money. i'd be all for that. lol.
I expect (but don't know) that it will work the way all sharing is done on Apple subscription and media purchases- Family Sharing. The thing is it is all or nothing. Anyone in your family can share your Apple Music subscription, Apple TV+ sub, individual iTunes music or video purchases, any apps you buy for phone or Mac , icloud storage (you get separate private folders but they can use your allotment), Apple fitness etc.
They call it "Family Sharing" and suggest it is limited to family, but I think they mostly rely on the all or nothing feature to deter people from just making friend groups.

What are new City member prices for supporters section seats? Since I know I'm going to buy this package anyway, I'm essentially getting $99 off my season ticket.

I didn't see pricing online, maybe because they are checking demand after today's announcement.

It's official: "A subscription to MLS Season Pass will be included as part of full-season ticket packages with MLS clubs."

Reactions: Mkdaman1818
It's official: "A subscription to MLS Season Pass will be included as part of full-season ticket packages with MLS clubs."

pretty sure that's been official since the deal was announced awhile back.

also - perusing twitter and seems to be a lot of people unhappy with the subscription pricing. most don't seem to realize the annual subscription would save them money. but also a good bunch still think it's too expensive because "they only care about watching their team and nothing else"

personally, i'll keep re-upping my AppleTV+ free trial and get the annual $80 plan if i can while under a free trial. lol

pretty sure that's been official since the deal was announced awhile back.
True, but this is a public statement on the same page as the official pricing announcement. Just good to see it in print, so to speak, is all I'm saying.