MLS and Apple Broadcasting Deal

This. I never agreed with the Twellman hate. He's passionate and provides good color. Unless I want to take a nap. Then definitely give me Landon.
TBF Landon has really found his groove as the tournament progressed. I thought he was terrible in his first match. But he relaxed and started to speak up and by his last match I thought he was actually really good.

TBF Landon has really found his groove as the tournament progressed. I thought he was terrible in his first match. But he relaxed and started to speak up and by his last match I thought he was actually really good.
I think Donovan is terrific in the booth. He doesn't get very excited, and he has a droll monotone that puts some people off. But what he says is always interesting and spot on.

So Taylor Twellman announced that he has left ESPN.
Im not too surprised, based upon where the properties are going. ESPN doesn't have any of the major US English tv products (MLS, USSF, EPL, UCL, World Cups.) and likely won't progress his career at all.
My assumption is that he is going to MLS/Apple venture, but perhaps HBO and it's related properties will build programming around it's USSF deal. Perhaps he can also work with FOX as well on their simulcasted MLS coverage, plus their World Cup and Concacaf properties. This joint MLS/Apple/Fox would probably be ideal for his career, but I think Fox already have their personalities in order.

Last edited:
Reactions: adam and Joe_Cos
So Taylor Twellman announced that he has left ESPN.
Im not too surprised, based upon where the properties are going. ESPN doesn't have any of the major US English tv products (MLS, USSF, EPL, UCL, World Cups.) and likely won't progress his career at all.
My assumption is that he is going to MLS/Apple venture, but perhaps HBO and it's related properties will build programming around it's USSF deal. Perhaps he can also work with FOX as well on their simulcasted MLS coverage, plus their World Cup and Concacaf properties.

I would think Taylor is going to Apple to be their lead analyst, and maybe he would also ink a deal with HBO for the USMNT. Kind of similar to the workload he had with ESPN.

Reactions: Joe_Cos and LionNYC
I would think Taylor is going to Apple to be their lead analyst, and maybe he would also ink a deal with HBO for the USMNT. Kind of similar to the workload he had with ESPN.
Apple? I thought part of the deal was MLS was to produce all the content. So he’d be working for MLS. Kind of like NFL network employees.

Apple? I thought part of the deal was MLS was to produce all the content. So he’d be working for MLS. Kind of like NFL network employees.

Well technically yes. But sure, he'll work for MLS on Apple. The meaning is still the same.

Reactions: adam
Sacha and BWP? Ew…
As studio Analysts? I don't see why not. Them and Valeri basically being like what Neville, Carragher, etc are on sky, I don't think it'll be too bad. They're really smart brains in the MLS world and the world of soccer.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Interesting:

League-wide, I've heard concerns from folks at clubs that this might be a bit too heavy of a load

I mean, our team does a lot of these things already, so I don't think it would be too hard for our team to continue this and raise it to the level they want for apple. There are definitely other teams that will need adjustment time.

I'm curious how much of this will get scrapped after half a year when they realize that there's like 2 viewers max on the videos, like on youtube...

Interesting:

I mean, our team does a lot of these things already, so I don't think it would be too hard for our team to continue this and raise it to the level they want for apple. There are definitely other teams that will need adjustment time.

I'm curious how much of this will get scrapped after half a year when they realize that there's like 2 viewers max on the videos, like on youtube...
I think they keep it up in some form, though the specifics will change year to year. Without team specific announcers or studio shows, they need something to make fans of every team feel ownership.

I see 8 "Match Analysts" and 5 Play-by-Play announcers. They'll need a lot more than those to staff a full season, so this is just the first step.

Nothing too exciting here outside of Twellman. Cangelosi stands out, and I don't mind him, although many do. Mostly, I am unfamiliar with all the names.

The lack of JP Dellacamera is very disappointing, but there is still time to get him on board. Ray Hudson seems a necessary addition on the color side, and Ian Joy should get a call too.

I see 8 "Match Analysts" and 5 Play-by-Play announcers. They'll need a lot more than those to staff a full season, so this is just the first step.

Nothing too exciting here outside of Twellman. Cangelosi stands out, and I don't mind him, although many do. Mostly, I am unfamiliar with all the names.

The lack of JP Dellacamera is very disappointing, but there is still time to get him on board. Ray Hudson seems a necessary addition on the color side, and Ian Joy should get a call too.
Maybe they are going to call games from in studio and not at the actual match. Would save them a ton on travel and need less announcers to do so. Definitely need a few more people though.

Looking more closely at the play-by-play guys...

Cangelosi we all know was the lead for NJ Red Bulls games for many years.
Bretos is a long-time TV personality and handled the LAFC broadcasts. He looks likely to be the lead play-by-play guy.
Zivin is most recently the announcer for the Timbers.
Ramirez is a Spanish-language commentator.
Lord appears to be the French-language guy, as he has been the announcer for the Clubbed Foot team.

So, they appear to only have 3 English-language play-by-play announcers lined up so far, and they will probably need at least a dozen, if not more.

You can guarantee we'll have to listen to Steve Cangialosi call our games.

No Joe, no Ian, no JP Dellacamera, no Richard Fleming (Rapids PBP who is excellent). Very disappointing.

There are as many RB announcers involved as they have fans.

Well, I don't be watching Apple TV for the derby games as the studio and match coverage will be pro-NJ.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
I think it’s good they are making demands to the clubs. It’s a step in the right direction. Teams should be investing more in their media departments and releasing better content to garner more interest.
NBC has 8-10 minute YouTube Prem match videos up within an hour of games ending. I’m subscribed to City+ for .99 and there’s great content on there as well.
This club has always felt distanced in terms of engagement. We usually get cool videos for jersey unveiling or the start of season.

Looking forward to more content for sure.

• Fresh off his retirement from the LA Galaxy, Sacha Kljestan joins MLS Season Pass as a studio analyst. A former member of the US Men’s National Team, Kljestan played 13 seasons in MLS, earning two All-Star bids (2008, 2016). He was a member of the US Olympic team in 2008. Most recently, Kljestan served as a digital host and analyst for Fox Sports’ coverage of the 2022 World Cup.
  • Bradley Wright-Phillips, who began his playing career with Manchester City, spent nine seasons in MLS (2013-21), earning two MLS Golden Boot awards and finishing as the sixth-leading goal scorer (117) in league history. He will make his debut as a studio analyst on the whip-around show.

No mention of RBNJ for either of these guys.... too embarrassing? haha

is max bretos really a play by play guy? i always saw him as the sportscenter guy or host on a sports talk show.