MLS Cup Playoffs - December 11 - Portland (Away)

Here are a couple of my random thoughts:
Their keeper could have done better with two of our shots. Taty's PK, and another one id have to go back again to look at, were certainly saveable.

maxi's penalty hit the post and went in, it could of easily hit post and go out.

I've heard a lot of chatter that Taty's goal in regulation should've been saved and I really don't see it that way.

Clark was moving in the opposite direction which the shot was placed, and it was hard and low, and too close that diving wide (easier than diving short) wasn't an option.

Add on the fact that it was a wet surface and new ball as well.

I think the fact that Clark was even able to get a hand on it was impressive. But I also think the fact that he was able to get a hand on it, is why so many are saying he should have done better.

Consistency how? Across both teams? Across different refs? Across the playoffs? Across the whole season?

If you want consistency across all of those you want robot referees. The fact that LionNYC LionNYC posts the game refs before each match and we dissect their history and style says that there are nuances from match to match and ref to ref.

The way I have always taken the consistency argument is to call both teams the same. If a certain play is a yellow for one team, it should be a yellow for the other. If one team gets to play physical, so should the other.

It's even widely recognized that there is no real expectation of consistency from start to finish of a match, as when commentators talk about the need for a ref to tighten things up or get control.

I think the match was called as a pretty physical match from start to finish on both sides. The play in the box was absolutely a foul in a match that was being called tight. This one wasn't. As such it really is a 50/50 call. And a 50/50 call isn't a call the VAR should recommend a check on.

The VAR should be there not to return an end game scenario to some absolute letter of the law, but to help the ref on the field maintain consistency. In this case, the consistent call was to let the physical play on the field stand. No foul. Likewise, had a foul been called (somehow after the goal had been scored), the VAR should not have overruled that either. It was a 50/50 based on the calling of the match to that point.

Consistency with how things are called throughout a game and same for both teams. If we can take it to another level, some consistency for each ref with regards to how they interpret the laws of the game throughout the season. I think those are reasonable expectations. Yes, there will be some variation. I don't think anyone is expecting perfection.

I thought PRO refs called entirely different games during the playoffs than they did during the regular season. For example, we weren't seeing any automatic yellows for tactical fouls (barely any that I can remember). Games were more allowed to be more physical and less cards were given overall, which is actually how I prefer the game to be called. Would have been nice if they called games during the season like that.

Other than a few calls here and there, I thought ref in our game called it fairly well. But a foul should be called regardless of the circumstances. I don't think that's robotic, I think that's being the objective ref he/she is supposed to be. In this case, he didn't call the foul in the box. While I disagree, I'm ok with it.

I've heard a lot of chatter that Taty's goal in regulation should've been saved and I really don't see it that way.

Clark was moving in the opposite direction which the shot was placed, and it was hard and low, and too close that diving wide (easier than diving short) wasn't an option.

Add on the fact that it was a wet surface and new ball as well.

I think the fact that Clark was even able to get a hand on it was impressive. But I also think the fact that he was able to get a hand on it, is why so many are saying he should have done better.

I've always wanted to ask a professional keeper about this sort of shot. The ball comes at clark right beside his left foot and, as you said, he dove short, which is much harder and requires much faster reaction times. I think my instinct would have been to simply kick the ball away wide (to the right in this instance) or to attempt to trap the ball with my foot like a field player and then collapse on it.

My guess is they are taught to dive on a ball and get their hands on it regardless of where the shot is to prevent rebounds as much as possible. But we also see great keepers in europe making kick saves. It benefited us for sure, but if i were clark, i think i would have kicked it away. lol.

THANKS CLARK!

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Not an A and not an F grade. I imagine that If we lost then I would have a big problem that no foul was called and that Villarreal clearly called the game favoring the home team. Fochive should definitely have had a yellow, Santi got a yellow (as I recall) not too long after being fouled in a card worthy manner that did not result in a booking. I haven’t finished rewatching the match but through the first 40’ it seems to me he was very lenient with regards to the home team. Luckily the game didn’t “get out of hand” which often happens when persistent hard fouls don’t result in a booking.

Fochive certainly commits two yellow-worthy challenges early but the ref was at least consistent as Sands coming down on the top of Mora's foot at the 19:15 mark could have been yellow as well.

I've always wanted to ask a professional keeper about this sort of shot. The ball comes at clark right beside his left foot and, as you said, he dove short, which is much harder and requires much faster reaction times. I think my instinct would have been to simply kick the ball away wide (to the right in this instance) or to attempt to trap the ball with my foot like a field player and then collapse on it.

My guess is they are taught to dive on a ball and get their hands on it regardless of where the shot is to prevent rebounds as much as possible. But we also see great keepers in europe making kick saves. It benefited us for sure, but if i were clark, i think i would have kicked it away. lol.

THANKS CLARK!
I think the main problem that Clark had was his feet were already so wide, so to attempt to kick save it would have been very difficult because he would likely be off balance trying to do so.

Reactions: moogoo
'Twas Magno, it was a very savable penalty

He also should have done better on Castellanos's goal in the first half. Clark was awful in that game -- could have saved at least 2 of the penalties that were scored, and could have done much better on Taty's goal. One of the main reasons we won is that their goalie was terrible.