Mls Expansion Priority Draft

Falastur

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 20, 2014
Herts, UK
The event is being live-streamed and the stream is now up (although at present it's just ticking down to the actual start). You can find it here:

And now I'm angry. It makes absolutely no sense to not let Kreis change his pick. Orlando hadn't picked yet plus the guy (if I remember right) asked Kreis what he would have picked, thereby giving Orlando an advantage. Of course Orlando is going to pick what NYCFC said they would take next. That's ridiculous.

Reactions: jerseyhotspur
Just to clarify, these are what was picked:

Expansion Draft: Orlando
Allocation Draft: NYCFC
SuperDraft: Orlando
Discovery: NYCFC (this is the one Kreis didn't mean to pick)
USL Pro/NASL: Orlando
Re-entry: NYCFC
Lottery: Orlando
Designated Player: NYCFC

Reactions: einwindir
I'll write it up on narrative. Orlando drew its envelope, meaning it got to pick which ranking it wanted. Orlando picked Expansion. NYCFC (headed by Kreis) then picked allocation ranking. Orlando picked Superdraft. So far so good.

Kreis then said we wanted Discovery. As the guy then explained to the audience what that was, Kreis looked down at his card under his desk and realized he made a mistake. He then said he made a mistake. If I remember right, the guy asked him what he wanted and Kreis said the USL PRo/NASL ranking. The host asked someone off camera if NYCFC could change. They said no. Orlando then picked the USL Pro/NASL ranking nYCFC would have picked. NYCFC then went re-entry, Orlando lottery, NYCFC DP.

Reactions: einwindir
I like having the #1 Allocation ranking. Sounded like NYCFC might have their eye on someone over in Europe

Reactions: Paul
Could be Mix or Jozy.

Also worth noting that NYCFC could very easily trade this rank in exchange for something from a club who needs to use the rank. Most of what NYCFC got has that purpose as well.

The production of this event was amateurish at best. The video, audio, and host were awful. MLS needs to step it up, but I really don't see the need for doing this whole dog and pony show. Also, seeing how easily a mistake could be made, there should be a more official way of picking other than 3 people sitting at a desk. A little lame that they didn't let Kreis change his pick.

The production of this event was amateurish at best. The video, audio, and host were awful. MLS needs to step it up, but I really don't see the need for doing this whole dog and pony show. Also, seeing how easily a mistake could be made, there should be a more official way of picking other than 3 people sitting at a desk. A little lame that they didn't let Kreis change his pick.

The need was that everyone complained after the blind draw for Jones why didn't MLS televise/stream it. I think this was a last minute thing, and it showed.

And you're right, it needs to be like it is every other time a team can make a decision: teams are allowed to huddle before their picks. GMs, coaches, etc. Putting a coach who of the FO may be the least familiar with the evolving rules of MLS's player acquisition was asking for disaster, and MLS got it.

Reactions: Paul and Drainyoo
Seems pretty clear that Kreis has plans to scout and sign the players we need and isn't very concerned with the draft picks, which shouldn't be terribly surprising to anyone here.

Well, NYCFC could just feel that there wasn't much difference between 1 & 2 in the draft next year, so might as well go for USMNT spot.

Getting DP spot wasn't bad either especially if MLS increased DPs to 4. NYCFC may be able to snag a player that way.

I want to believe that Kreis' mistake would not have happened and would have been corrected if not for the whole public access production of the event. It was live and I don't think they knew how to rule on his error. MLS horseshit.

Meh, small flub, Orlando will need it anyway. For the type of club we are going to be this, won't matter much.
Seriously. There aren't any superstar players that are going to be aquired at this point. If there is each team will certainly find a way to bend MLS rules. These draft picks mean nothing if the team can't develop the player and let's face it NYCFC will be in a much better position to develop a player than OCSC.

Seriously. There aren't any superstar players that are going to be aquired at this point. If there is each team will certainly find a way to bend MLS rules. These draft picks mean nothing if the team can't develop the player and let's face it NYCFC will be in a much better position to develop a player than OCSC.

I think there's a little hubris here. Sure, NYCFC can manage much better than other clubs, but NYCFC still needs solid quality guys and the draft/expansion avenues can turn up those kinds of players.

Reactions: Goodfella