MLS is Back Tournament - 2020

I’ve really enjoyed this tournament
It’s really competitive. These knockout games have been really fun to watch. Tonight’s LAFC game is great as well. The players are up for it. Early in the group stage looked like the tournament might be a joke but it was likely just rust and out of form players.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
At this point I hope Portland wins it all. Just because they have a good front office and a great fan culture (outside of some antifa issues) and traditions that really speak to grass roots beginnings. They aren't the sweethearts of the league like their rivals in Seattle, or the LA teams and Atlanta which is a big bonus in my book. Not a huge fan of counter attack style of play but they make it work. There are a lot of reasons I wish our club was built more like their club.

At this point I hope Portland wins it all. Just because they have a good front office and a great fan culture (outside of some antifa issues) and traditions that really speak to grass roots beginnings. They aren't the sweethearts of the league like their rivals in Seattle, or the LA teams and Atlanta which is a big bonus in my book. Not a huge fan of counter attack style of play but they make it work. There are a lot of reasons I wish our club was built more like their club.

I don't want to see Orlando in the Concacaf Champions League.

Yep, I don't feel bad losing to portland or seeing them win bc I respect them.

What do you mean with ”antifa issues”?
I'm gonna be honest in saying that I dont know all of the facts of the situations but from what I understand there was an issue with supporters using a symbol called the iron fist which was and is still considered an antifa symbol. And the club went on to ban many different symbols that had been considered "political." The club associated the iron fist with riots and protests so during a Sounders game they emerald city SG and Timbers Army did a silent protest during the first 33 minutes of the game to protests the front office and mls's decision. If anyone knows the situation better than I do please speak up if you like. That's just my understanding of the situation and could be wrong in my interpretation.

I'm gonna be honest in saying that I dont know all of the facts of the situations but from what I understand there was an issue with supporters using a symbol called the iron fist which was and is still considered an antifa symbol. And the club went on to ban many different symbols that had been considered "political." The club associated the iron fist with riots and protests so during a Sounders game they emerald city SG and Timbers Army did a silent protest during the first 33 minutes of the game to protests the front office and mls's decision. If anyone knows the situation better than I do please speak up if you like. That's just my understanding of the situation and could be wrong in my interpretation.

You do realize antifa is short for anti-fascist, right? So it’s basically people who are against fascism and not an actual organized group.

The Iron Front was an organization in pre-World War II Germany that was eventually banned by the Nazis, sometime in the early ‘30s I think. They were against the rising German totalitarianism and also against the communist party as well as a third thing which I can’t recall at the moment. They weren’t necessarily a peaceful group, but then again they were going up against the Nazis who were in the process of taking control of Germany.

So the over-simplified issue is that the Iron Front symbol was banned in Portland. The club basically banned a symbol that is opposed to fascism and Nazis in the interest of “fairness.”

Sorry for taking a side on this issue but I guess I’m pretty much against fascism personally.

And the club went on to ban many different symbols that had been considered "political."
Yeah, it's not that the fan culture had "antifa issues", it's that the league cracked down on (some) political symbols and the club at first went along, disallowing the supporters to fly anti-fascist flags in the stands. Ultimately and correctly the club walked that back because being anti-anti-fascist is a bad look, to say the least.

Reactions: JCMore
Saw Medhi on the Upper East Side today with some other NYCFC staff. What gave them away was that one was wearing an NYCFC polo shirt. Nobody else knew who he was.

Nani proves to us what a real DP can do for a team. Villa used to do this for us. Nani is doing it for Orlando.
Nani was there last year right? Who did they bring in to make that team go from being one of worst teams in the league to finalists in the 2020 MLS Tournamnet? Is this primarily the same team that avoided the label of worst team of 2019 thanks to a Cincinnati expansion squad and by having just 1 more win than Vancouver? Is it simply What the coach brought to the organization?
Orlando could have hardware next week. It doesn’t seem right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
How can Pareja get his system across to a bad team and make them immensely better immediately, in nearly the same amount of time Deila has had, while Ronny has seen the best team in the East (and best team in all of MLS the last 2/3 of the 2019 season) digress in nearly every spot?

I think we need even one player like Nani who is going to demand better from everyone on the field because they're from a higher pedigree and understand what it takes at the highest of levels, but CFG won't go out and get that kind of player anymore.

I think we need even one player like Nani who is going to demand better from everyone on the field because they're from a higher pedigree and understand what it takes at the highest of levels, but CFG won't go out and get that kind of player anymore.

Aging superstars in MLS - officially a Good Idea again!