MLS is Back Tournament - 2020

Here we go what?

its third case ( i know dallas had one i thought someone else did) of player that is positive, by the time they get down there there may be more. And since they not showing symptoms they dont know if they are passing to other staff or players once they in that bubble. Last thing they want is players isolated and then have incomplete teams playing Each other

i personally dont know how often they will test, but i dont think they will be as strict as in bundesliga

Reactions: Kjbert
its third case ( i know dallas had one i thought someone else did) of player that is positive, by the time they get down there there may be more. And since they not showing symptoms they dont know if they are passing to other staff or players once they in that bubble. Last thing they want is players isolated and then have incomplete teams playing Each other

i personally dont know how often they will test, but i dont think they will be as strict as in bundesliga

From the MLS website:

During an individual’s first two weeks in Orlando, that person will be tested every other day. After those first 14 days, players, coaches and PRO staff will be tested regularly, including the day before each matchday.

I don't know how many cases is so many they have to stop playing, but I don't think we're there yet. I think the only way they stop at this point is if there is an outbreak within a team that virtually makes a team unplayable. But now that we have robust testing, the odds of needing to do wide-scale quarantines are hopefully a thing of the past. That goes for teams and the general public.

From the MLS website:

I don't know how many cases is so many they have to stop playing, but I don't think we're there yet. I think the only way they stop at this point is if there is an outbreak within a team that virtually makes a team unplayable. But now that we have robust testing, the odds of needing to do wide-scale quarantines are hopefully a thing of the past. That goes for teams and the general public.
Especially more than two weeks out... Most healthy young athletes should be fully recovered and once in the bubble....they gucci

giphy.gif

Reactions: Kjbert

This is a paywalled article: but it claims to have the full history of positive test results for MLS, which I think it is fair to summarize.

Before Any Workouts
April 1 Philadelphia with mild symptoms
During Individual Separate workouts
June 3 Dallas no description of symptoms - team suspended workouts for 5 days
June 13 DC United no description of symptoms - test administered as part of pre-training protocol
After Group Workouts Resumed
June 18 Atlanta - mandatory testing protocol - asymptomatic
June 18 Inter Miami - mandatory testing protocol - asymptomatic

So - March, April and May have 1 positive. June has 4. But that's not evidence of an uptick in cases, because players were self-isolating and not getting regular mandatory testing until they came back for Individual Training. It's almost a certainty that more than just one of the 500+ first team players had the virus in March, April and May. But being young and remarkably fit they were low level symptomatic at worst and didn't even bother to get tested (or didn't tell anyone). The league is doing what it is supposed to do as it moves to restart, including universal mandatory testing, leading to inevitable additional positive results. And they they are isolating the positive players and conducting aggressive follow up testing.

I am very comfortable making this prediction: There will be additional positive tests reported as teams go through off-site training with aggressive mandatory testing for all players. However, MLS will get through the tournament and the two weeks afterwards (to allow for lag time) without anything approaching an outbreak that will threaten the completion of the tournament. This will be true even if Florida continues to report higher levels of positive results over the next few weeks. I am confident saying this because I know how Disney works and the evidence indicates that MLS is handling its own obligations responsibly, and they will be isolated as long as they are on the Disney campus.

I do not have enough information about their post-tournament protocols to say that will be true afterwards. I am cautiously optimistic about that as well based on what I have seen, but it is still an open question in my mind.

Last edited:
The ridiculous fact is not the amount of risk, but the sheer greed that anyone's life is being risked for a tournament that will make no money just so that MLS can finally overtake Cornhole and Axe Throwing in the tv ratings.

Three reported positives since March. Here we go.

you posted youtself its four and probably more coming this month alone, im not confident in MLS handling anything ( can’t even handle properly setting up a draw and tournament). Bundesliga was not letting anyone even leave their hotels i doubt mls will apply the same restrctions.

they will get thru the tournament but if halfway in there are more cases then We have Teams potentially playing with less than ideal XI Then its even less of a playing field for teams. All this for only three games that count And still having a plan to have more in market regular season games. If the plan is to have in market games then We can wait the extra month or so to start those.

Last edited: