MLS - July 17 - Red Bulls (Away)

I just can't get over what an ugly brand of soccer the Red Bulls play. We're so lucky our team is (a) good and (b) entertaining.

Really seems like this team's intensity is back up after the coaching change -- seems like they're over it now, which is great news. Three wins on the trot with a home game vs Inter Miami on tap -- there's a tough schedule the rest of the way with a lot of road games, but this team is back to playing like one of the best teams in the league.

Reactions: Sabo and Davo15
I think it’s funny the announcers and Red Bull fans thought they dominated us in the first half. I was never that worried about them scoring - seemed we were riding out the high pressure and wore them down.
In the first half, they had some good, solid shots, though most were from distance and either were off target or Johnson handled them. We created almost nothing. "Dominated" is a bit strong (did cangialosi really say that?) but it's not an irrational take to say they had more and better chances. Frankly, the shout box here, plus comments by NYCFC fans on Reddit and twitter were full of complaints about our play (low energy, poor approach, etc) so everyone seemed to agree. We managed their press but almost never broke it and went forward in the first 45. Then it changed.

We were defending well again (is it me, or do we seem to hang a lot of clean sheets when Martins starts)
He started 8 of the 10 shutouts. He also did not play in the only two games we conceded more than 2 goals, and missed 3 of the recent games where we conceded 10 times in 4 games. To be fair, that stretch also coincided with the start of Keaton's injury.

Last edited:
In the first half, they had some good, solid shots, though most were from distance and either were off target or Johnson handled them. We created almost nothing. "Dominated" is a bit strong (did cangialosi really say that?) but it's not an irrational take to say they had more and better chances. Frankly, the shout box here, plus comments by NYCFC fans on Reddit and twitter were full of complaints about our play (low energy, poor approach, etc) so everyone seemed to agree. We managed their press but almost never broke it and went forward in the first 45. Then it changed.
Spot on. First half was probably not quite as bad as a usual RB game for us, but definitely in the same vein. Second half we had a lot more of the ball and were much more positive.

There was a post game quote from Cushing about half time adjustments, so whatever they did was deliberate, whether it was reactive or planned.

I'm not going because I know I'm just going to be disappointed.

Also because I haven't got a ticket yet ;)

Are you going, and if so what section?
Staying home. The travel is too hard.
Yep. Basically what I'm thinking. Also last season I vowed like three times that I'm not going to goback... so I still vow I'm not gonna be going back lol.

I decided not to go for many of the same reasons. Too far to travel from Westchester.

Then, the wife - the Dr. Mrs. G. - made arrangements to visit close friends in New Jersey that afternoon. Ended up driving right by the stadium at 2pm.

I decided not to go for many of the same reasons. Too far to travel from Westchester.

Then, the wife - the Dr. Mrs. G. - made arrangements to visit close friends in New Jersey that afternoon. Ended up driving right by the stadium at 2pm.
I also could have mentioned that the fan behavior in the previous game was a factor, though I also realized that the sanctions, plus day and time of game made yesterday much less likely to have similar problems.
Based on postgame Twitter, the traffic getting out was as bad as ever. This is a Red Bull fan.

Was that one of Santi’s best games ever in blue? He drives me crazy a lot - but he was on fire tonight. Should have had two sublime assists and probably more.

I thought he was rather poor tonight, aside from the two excellent passes in the 2nd half leading to a goal and a great chance. To me, he had trouble picking out the right passes and executing, turning it over a lot, sometimes in bad places. It happens. He's a terrific player with a chance to be great. I told my son at halftime that I thought he was having an off game, but that he could still rescue all that with a great pass. He certainly did so.

Exactly this. I felt the Red Bulls were better in the first half by a little bit, while we were better in the 2nd half. Johnson did have to make some uncomfortable saves, and they scuffed some good chances. Dominant? No. But for the first 30-40 minutes, the Red Bulls were executing on their game plan, and we weren't on ours. They turned us over in our half a fair amount, and when we got to the 2nd level, we almost never transitioned to the 3rd level to start an attack. I don't even think we had a kick in their half for a good while at the start of the game. All of that changed gradually, and we were controlling things toward the end.

Gam Flow chart shows RB very much had the better of it in the first 30 minutes. It started to swing to NYCFC in the last 15 of the first half.

I was rather surprised to see these numbers. I felt they had a small first half advantage, and we had a small second half advantage, and it was one of those contests that could go either way, and we've been long overdue to get one of those from them. This suggests my "eye test" underestimated how much better we were in the second half.

How do people feel about Steve Cangialosi calling the game for ESPN. IIRC, he and Shep Messing did a game on one of the networks (Fox?) two seasons ago. I think Cangialosi is a decent announcer and tries to play it down the middle when doing our games, but it still kind of bothers me.

Also, did anyone else like the color commentator, Danny Higginbotham, as much as I did. I thought he was very good - insightful about the game & tactics. I had not heard him before, so I looked him up. Manchester guy, who bounced around EPL and Championship. Now is the color commentator for the Philadelphia Union, which means their team is now JP Dellacamara and Higginbotham, which is about as good as it gets.

I also could have mentioned that the fan behavior in the previous game was a factor, though I also realized that the sanctions, plus day and time of game made yesterday much less likely to have similar problems.
Based on postgame Twitter, the traffic getting out was as bad as ever. This is a Red Bull fan.

I'm not sure what causes it? Wanna be Hooligan syndrome? I feel like I've seen more aggressive behavior at the Hudson Derbys I've been to on both sides than at Yankees-Redsox or Yankees-Mets games I've been to which is kind of crazy considering how much longer those rivalries have had to stew.

Carlos's save on Maxi's FK was #1 on SportsCenter's Top 10 this morning.
Hell of a shot and hell of a save. Coronel is a really good keeper.

But the thing I loved most from this sequence was Callens' follow through on the shot to be able to get that additional chance.

Reactions: LionNYC and moogoo
Sean Johnson with his 10th shutout of the season, would need 7 more to break the single season shutout record, anyone think he has a shot. If Martins stays healthy I think he will get very close if not succeed in breaking it.
He's on pace to hit 17, as we have 10 in 20 games. On the other hand, it takes so little to disrupt a clean sheet. I would bet against, but rooting for it and won't consider it a shock if he does it.

Reactions: canchon