MLS - July 9 - New England (Home)

They seem to be quite bitter in RevolutionLand this evening.

Of course they are -- imagine if we had gotten called for three PKs and two of them were soft. We'd be doing the same thing. They have every right to be upset. Sure, they're all liable to be called, but they have every right to be angry.

The whining is so bad that Bruce is complaining about a baseball stadium. THE REVS PLAY ON TURF IN AN NFL STADIUM - shitty turf where the opponent is like deer on roller skates trying to figure out how the ball bounces. Call the whaaaaaaaambulance.

The whining is so bad that Bruce is complaining about a baseball stadium. THE REVS PLAY ON TURF IN AN NFL STADIUM - shitty turf where the opponent is like deer on roller skates trying to figure out how the ball bounces. Call the whaaaaaaaambulance.

the only thing i agree was the time of the game. aint no way the game should be at 1PM with that sun out in July. but i get its due to yankees play on Tuesday so they need to convert the field back.

the only thing i agree was the time of the game. aint no way the game should be at 1PM with that sun out in July. but i get its due to yankees play on Tuesday so they need to convert the field back.

I don't think it had anything to do with Yankees -- I think it was Unimas that wanted the game at 1pm. We could have played at 5pm; they take 2 and a half days to change the field over. Playing a 5 or 7pm game still gives them enough time.

It was really hot out there -- temperature wasn't too bad, but that sun was strong. Kind of took me by surprise on a low-80s, low humidity day.

Reactions: Sabo
I don't think it had anything to do with Yankees -- I think it was Unimas that wanted the game at 1pm. We could have played at 5pm; they take 2 and a half days to change the field over. Playing a 5 or 7pm game still gives them enough time.

It was really hot out there -- temperature wasn't too bad, but that sun was strong. Kind of took me by surprise on a low-80s, low humidity day.

you right about unimas, didnt think about that. i guess MLS didnt want a univision match to interfere with the other games on national television later in the day.

I think Bou was behind the ball on the goal there. At first I thought it was a clear offsides, but after replays I'm not sure.

Refereeing was a mess today. Taty got the yellow for kicking the ball away, I'm almost positive. And of course that's his accumulation yellow. At least he'll be fresh for the Red Bulls. We take way too many silly unnecessary yellows. Really need to be more disciplined with those.

I'll be honest -- I know we had a shout for another PK or two. No team had ever gotten 3 PKs in a game before -- we got 3 in the first half. We weren't getting another one unless there was a decapitation on the field. I did think Taty flopped/sold/whatever you want to call it on the third one. He went down really easily. Yes he was pulled back, but he made the most of it, the ref bought it, and obviously that's not a clear and obvious mistake at that point.
Agree with all of this plus I think Farrell’s contract with Taty probably ended outside the box. Would still be a red card but no PK.
I’m very surprised no team has gotten 3 PKs in a game before. Two in a game seems to happen at least a few times every year across the league. I would have expected that 3 Happened at least once in league history.

Reactions: ZYanksRule
After that sweet dance around the box, in a nod to The Bronx’s own Arthur Avenue I am now referring to Pereira as “Gabigool.”
Tayvon had a quietly good game.
Glad to see Haak get minutes but he still looks confused/awkward a lot of the time. I’m not sure what if any attributes of his game stand out.
Santi had a great game.
Martins makes a huge difference.
SJ was very solid. Distribution was pretty excellent.
I hate the Revs so much. F all their whining. They play on plastic in bumfuck Egypt and they employ all three of Couva’s biggest goats. This was so satisfying.

Reactions: Sabo

Players, coaches ,fans they all complain about the baseball stadium. You'd think they'd have gotten sick of it by not but seems like it won't end till we're out of there.

Players, coaches ,fans they all complain about the baseball stadium. You'd think they'd have gotten sick of it by not but seems like it won't end till we're out of there.

I mean the field was complete shit today. Players were slipping and falling all over the place. It wasn't a professional-level pitch today, and the folks at Yankee Stadium really need to do better than what they gave us today.

I also think players seem to get lost out there -- I think that's what happened with the first penalty. I don't think Farrell realized he was in the box. That was a foul you take just outside of the box, not a tackle you attempt inside the box. It was atrocious defending. I have to think he got lost out there, which is a common complaint from opposing players.

Agree with all of this plus I think Farrell’s contract with Taty probably ended outside the box. Would still be a red card but no PK.

someone posted the rules of the game in the Reddit game chat. If someone is pulling the shirt outside the box and continues to pull it inside the box it results in a penalty

someone posted the rules of the game in the Reddit game chat. If someone is pulling the shirt outside the box and continues to pull it inside the box it results in a penalty
I understand that. I thought the contact ended before they entered the box. I might very well be wrong about that. It's hard to tell even on replay.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
Polster getting into a Twitter argument with Abramowitz lol

Revs Nation out here having a real normal one today. Imagine making such a wild, easily disprovable assertion with (apparently) a straight face. Weapons-grade copium.
Now, the state of the infield grass is a total crime and FIFA shouldn't be allowing MLS to hold matches under those field conditions, but that's an entirely separate issue from wild fantasies about the goalmouths not being centered.

Last edited:
Of course they are -- imagine if we had gotten called for three PKs and two of them were soft. We'd be doing the same thing. They have every right to be upset. Sure, they're all liable to be called, but they have every right to be angry.
Oh, I don't know about that. If a team so lacks discipline they commit three penalties in a half, maybe their anger would be better directed at themselves.

And nothing in the Laws of the Game says you have to take a two-by-four to someone in order to get the call, either. The first penalty being so blatant doesn't set a standard of force for the next two. Just the perception of one.

Oh, I don't know about that. If a team so lacks discipline they commit three penalties in a half, maybe their anger would be better directed at themselves.

And nothing in the Laws of the Game says you have to take a two-by-four to someone in order to get the call, either. The first penalty being so blatant doesn't set a standard of force for the next two. Just the perception of one.

The only penalty that could be doubted is the second - and that one was missed anyway. If Farrell goes nuts and sloppily goes to ground causing Magno to fall in the box and then shoves Taty from behind when Taty is in on goal…uhh, those are penalties. Pretty clear-cut.

I had to watch it a few times myself. If you freeze this video right at the 3:24 mark you can see Taty was in the box when Farrell shoved him in the back.

You're right. I see it now. All three pens were valid. Rev fans should shut up. As other have noted, the second one is open to debate, and it doesn't always get called because of shoulder-to-shoulder. But the defender yesterday was not trying to win the ball he was just body checking.

I am going to be in the minority here, but I think the second penalty was a clearly correct call and the third one was soft.

On the second penalty, the defender sized up Taty and body checked him inside the flight of the ball. It doesn’t matter that they were shoulder-to-shoulder. He made no attempt to play the ball, and hit Taty with a lot of force. Easy call to me.

On the third penalty, I thought Taty had been pulled back, which was why he spun around before falling. I can’t see a grab on any replay, although the angles aren’t the best. He did get shoved a little, but not a lot. Barring something else, that call could have gone either way.