MLS - July 9 - New England (Home)

Taty literally stripping for fans...

Cushing has the European mentality and expressly states the goal of Supporters Shield.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinJRogers
Taty literally stripping for fans...

Cushing has the European mentality and expressly states the goal of Supporters Shield.

I thought that was kind of just perfunctory logic. He wants them to be better and win. Doing that has only indirect effect on MLS Cup so he mentions the shield. My interpretation anyway.

Gray never fails to make me smile.

I thought that was kind of just perfunctory logic. He wants them to be better and win. Doing that has only indirect effect on MLS Cup so he mentions the shield. My interpretation anyway.

Gray never fails to make me smile.

Yea gray is always in a happy mood... except when he's guarding Gil lol.

For him to mention SS specifically as a goal makes me think that's what he wants. If he just wants to win more, he could have just harped on that more. *shrug*

Yea gray is always in a happy mood... except when he's guarding Gil lol.

For him to mention SS specifically as a goal makes me think that's what he wants. If he just wants to win more, he could have just harped on that more. *shrug*
Is it just me, or did it feel like there was a lack of "snap-to" in the room? Tough to judge by a video, of course. I just kind of got that vibe.

And who was that singing the Banner? I missed that before the game. She's got some for-real pipes.

Is it just me, or did it feel like there was a lack of "snap-to" in the room? Tough to judge by a video, of course. I just kind of got that vibe.

And who was that singing the Banner? I missed that before the game. She's got some for-real pipes.

She has a decent voice, but I didn't like how she tried too hard to "make it her own". I prefer singers who stay true to the melody.

A PK is awarded when a player commits "a direct free kick offence" in the penalty area as defined in Law 12 (see below), and "in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force":
  • charges
  • jumps at
  • kicks or attempts to kick
  • pushes
  • strikes or attempts to strike (including head-butt)
  • tackles or challenges
  • trips or attempts to trip
There's a bit more in the referee's handbook, but for our purposes that's it in a nutshell. The first penalty was obvious. In the second Kessler got beat and took Taty (and Maxi) out to prevent a play the ball. in the third Farrell was beat and shoved Taty enough to throw him off-balance -- Castellanos didn't actually have to go down for it to be an offence, but it helps to sell it -- and denied an obvious goal-scoring opportunity in the bargain.

Edit: Oh, and there was a fourth when Tommy Mac took out Pereira, which could have been a straight red, and probably would have had Gaby not just popped right up and run off, no harm done. And there was arguably a potential fifth for a handball, which Ford clearly just let slide. The Revs were just bad. Behind the mark all day.
Helpful starting point. Thanks. And I agree with DeGrozz DeGrozz that a foul is a foul in or out of the box. I'm still not convinced. So PK2 was a push with excessive force (only thing I see in the rules definition that makes sense). KevinJRogers KevinJRogers you happen to also have the language for when/how shoulder to shoulder mitigates a push?

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this penalty discussion so far is DOGSO. I haven't gone back and watched each incident but even a "soft" foul can lead to a penalty if you're the last defender and it's a denial of goal scoring opportunity situation.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this penalty discussion so far is DOGSO. I haven't gone back and watched each incident but even a "soft" foul can lead to a penalty if you're the last defender and it's a denial of goal scoring opportunity situation.
DOGSO is why the third PK was also a red. It's been mentioned several times.

Helpful starting point. Thanks. And I agree with DeGrozz DeGrozz that a foul is a foul in or out of the box. I'm still not convinced. So PK2 was a push with excessive force (only thing I see in the rules definition that makes sense). KevinJRogers KevinJRogers you happen to also have the language for when/how shoulder to shoulder mitigates a push?
Penalty #2 was not even a push. He just sized up Taty and barreled into him.

Shoulder-to-shoulder is about not calling a foul when two players are even with each other and going for the ball. There is going to be incidental contact there at the least. The officials will even allow for some jostling as players come together. What is not allowed is using your shoulder to just clear someone out and not even trying for the ball.

Somehow a tweet I answered ended up being a very long Twitter thread with New England Revs fans arguing about the calls and Andrew Weibe weighing in here or there. It started out being Hudson River Blue asking if McNamara's uncalled foul on Pereira warranted a red card and ended up being about the DOGSO red and some other stuff.

Weibe does bring up an interesting point, it’s not DOGSO because the goal is scored. But I would disagree that it’s not enough to be serious foul play, because it definitely was.

Weibe does bring up an interesting point, it’s not DOGSO because the goal is scored. But I would disagree that it’s not enough to be serious foul play, because it definitely was.

I think this was definitely a case of ref discretion.

not dogso cause goal was scored.

not excessive force because GP bounced up and ran away to celebrate. can't really justify a red card if there was no injury. Yes, the attempted tackle itself was excessive and COULD have injured GP, but it didn't. so ref just let it go. had GP been on the ground in pain, I'm fairly confident ref would have given a card.

At that point in the thread, I think there was some confusion about whether we were talking about the McNamara challenge or the sending off at the end of the first half. Certainly, the McNamara challenge was not DOGSO. I think it's an interesting call as to whether it was serious foul play. Hard to judge on the replays I have seen. He came in with force and late. Was he studs up?