MLS/LigaMX Superleague?!

That's the same as Cardiff being in the english league system while the other Welsh teams aren't. Would you want to see all the Welsh teams added to the system post-facto?

The main reason for me is down to the fact that I don't want to have to wait 4 years to play against team X. I doubt they're going to do a pro/rel system, which means it'll be just one big league.
This is not really relevant to whether the MLS and LigaMX should merge, but 5 Welsh teams play in the English system. Cardiff is in the PL, Swansea in Championship, Newport County is in L2 and 2 other teams are in English feeder leagues. There also are some English teams in the Welsh leagues I believe. And I think the Welsh leagues are fairly new as things go in UK football (1990s? maybe). Traditionally I think they all played in English leagues and so the movement was the other direction.

But like I said, I don't see how this affects one's opinion of a Mexico/US soccer league merger. I'm probably mildly on your side against it, but I need to know more before committing.

Reactions: SoupInNYC and JayH
In addition, the current extraordinary circumstances could very well otherwise significantly set MLS back for the foreseeable future. It may take something special and revolutionary to get things back on track.

If the result would be more money, better football, and the attraction of better players from abroad, I would be for it. And the intensity of some of the matchups would certainly beat a Wednesday night game against Cincy or Vancouver. Better is a good thing.

That's what I'm hoping for. More exposure, more $, better players and coaches, larger crowds. Wouldn't it be something to have people glued to their TVs on a Sunday night in London watching a North American Superleague matchup? Imagine playing at Bundesliga quality?

In addition, the current extraordinary circumstances could very well otherwise significantly set MLS back for the foreseeable future. It may take something special and revolutionary to get things back on track.

people are not talking about this enough. we all assume the owners are all in still or even the expansion sides are still all in and/or still have the capital and money to proceed after this is all over. we dont know how their main businesses are being affected by all this.

this is why i think MLS will at least give it a listen.

Reactions: JayH and adam
That's the same as Cardiff being in the english league system while the other Welsh teams aren't. Would you want to see all the Welsh teams added to the system post-facto?

The main reason for me is down to the fact that I don't want to have to wait 4 years to play against team X. I doubt they're going to do a pro/rel system, which means it'll be just one big league.
But the Welsh teams suck. Not a good analogy.

For the record, I'm not 100% against it. I'm just against it if it means not playing a huge amount of teams every year, which is likely. I'm already unhappy with MLS's solution this year to have teams not play 3 other teams. Will a Liga MX merger make me stop watching the league? No, probably not. Will I be annoyed we don't play X team each year? probably.

On the bright side, CCL would be a better chance since USA and Mexico teams would start at the same time of year.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I don't want a merger between an American/Canadian and Mexican league. I enjoy MLS as it is with expansion. I enjoy who we play, the playoffs, and the structure as it stands (with continuing budget changes as expansion continues). I don't want away games to Mexico. The potentially added money would mean academy players getting less minutes. That means a poorer national team product.
This is kind of a Lion-centric view, no? I mean, I guess being Lion that's fair, but I'm not sure anyone else is factoring in away day budgets.

For the record, I'm not 100% against it. I'm just against it if it means not playing a huge amount of teams every year, which is likely. I'm already unhappy with MLS's solution this year to have teams not play 3 other teams. Will a Liga MX merger make me stop watching the league? No, probably not. Will I be annoyed we don't play X team each year? probably.

On the bright side, CCL would be a better chance since USA and Mexico teams would start at the same time of year.

even within MLS expansion will only make it more likely we dont play every team every year. especially if they break out conferences even further. so that issues will be here even without a merger.

Reactions: adam
This is kind of a Lion-centric view, no? I mean, I guess being Lion that's fair, but I'm not sure anyone else is factoring in away day budgets.

I don't want to travel to Mexico. But we're a top 5 club in MLS. I don't want to be a top 10 club in this combined league. The Mexican clubs are going to get more money as well and get better players. There's still going to be a different in quality between the USA/CAN teams and the MEX teams.

Reactions: Kjbert
I don't want to travel to Mexico. But we're a top 5 club in MLS. I don't want to be a top 10 club in this combined league. The Mexican clubs are going to get more money as well and get better players. There's still going to be a different in quality between the USA/CAN teams and the MEX teams.

Not if they all follow the same rules. This will mean Mexican teams adopting a salary cap, or US teams removing theirs. Or the more probable answer, which is a compromise solution with some type of soft cap that has a luxury tax for exceeding it, similar to baseball. I'd like that because then it's piss or get off the pot time for CFG.

Reactions: Ulrich
even within MLS expansion will only make it more likely we dont play every team every year. especially if they break out conferences even further. so that issues will be here even without a merger.
and extra 5 teams vs 20 teams is a big difference...

Under the same rules and significantly more money to spend, why would a team from NY be worse off in a combined league than the current league? Surely a superleague NYCFC would not be burdened with all the GAM/TAM/DP nonsense.

Under the same rules and significantly more money to spend, why would a team from NY be worse off in a combined league than the current league? Surely a superleague NYCFC would not be burdened with all the GAM/TAM/DP nonsense.

We've decreased our salary spend since Villa/Lampard/Lampard. We could have kept those levels of salaries and sign better players. We haven't. Medina is still on this team with or without a SuperLeague.

I feel like this may be an inevitability coming out of COVID

Where does Chicharito play? Vela?