MLS/LigaMX Superleague?!

I don't want to travel to Mexico. But we're a top 5 club in MLS. I don't want to be a top 10 club in this combined league. The Mexican clubs are going to get more money as well and get better players. There's still going to be a different in quality between the USA/CAN teams and the MEX teams.
I think that CFG wants to be fiscally responsible to be just good enough to challenge for trophies against the competition at hand. That's what they have done so far, and they would spend just enough to do the same in a combined league. They will spend the extra money to get to that level in the new league without unnecessarily spending on creating a super club. They want that A-minus quality club for the brand, anything less is a stain, anything more is not necessary.

In general.
Gotcha. Any particular reason why? You can DM me if you'd rather respond that way too.

I think I've posted about this on here before, but I spent 8 months in Mexico City for work and now look to make one trip to Mexico every year I loved it so much. I'm also not much of a beach person, so I'm not looking for those kinds of trips, but Mexico offers so much to do/see/eat.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
If this leads to a closed promotion/relegation with two 20 or 24 team leagues, I think it would make this a really fun league. As long as you're in the top half, you get to play against a league full of heavyweights every game. Imagine a league where you're only playing the top 10 teams in Mexico and the top 10 teams in America. It's a good game every week, instead of us smoking an uncompetitive FC Cincinnati last year, for example. Would really make for a fun league.

interesting.....most of the people here seem to be at least ok with idea ( depending on some factors) while reddit is way against it.
Reddit is a lot of from the hip shooting, on any subject. Also probably has Vancouver and Cincy fans commenting, and they’re probably terrified of additional competition.

We've decreased our salary spend since Villa/Lampard/Lampard.
This is a meaningless statement and you know it. Pirlo and Lampard made disproportionately high salaries, which skew everything that came after.

If there were no limits (or materially higher limits) on spending, as would have to be the case given the structure of the Mexican league, having Medina wouldn't matter.

Stop twisting yourself into argumentative knots to justify an opinion based on your personal preference and needs. You want to go to as many away games as possible and this would make that difficult. A totally reasonable view for you to have without any further attempts at justifying it.

This is a meaningless statement and you know it. Pirlo and Lampard made disproportionately high salaries, which skew everything that came after.

If there were no limits (or materially higher limits) on spending, as would have to be the case given the structure of the Mexican league, having Medina wouldn't matter.

Stop twisting yourself into argumentative knots to justify an opinion based on your personal preference and needs. You want to go to as many away games as possible and this would make that difficult. A totally reasonable view for you to have without any further attempts at justifying it.

We'd have less of a chance of winning MLS Cup or whatever the equivalent is in a combined USA/CAN/MEX league. That's my real reason.

We'd have less of a chance of winning MLS Cup or whatever the equivalent is in a combined USA/CAN/MEX league. That's my real reason.

On the other side of that argument, how much more would it mean if we were to win a league that includes Mexican heavyweights? And including those teams in our league would force every team -- even Atlanta -- to bulk up spending and resources to be able to compete. It would dramatically increase the level of MLS and it would bring the combined MLS/Liga MX closer to the conversation among the top leagues in the world. Having Club America and Tigres and all those teams would force NYCFC to field better teams, which means the value of your season ticket would go up because you're now seeing an increased level of player 17 times a season.

Yep. It's a completely BS argument that we're not spending enough right now. Lampard and Pirlo were signed for marketing reasons, and not for sporting reasons. Mitrita was the highest transfer fee in team history. They're spending. They have one of the best rosters in MLS. They're doing what it takes, even if the playoffs were unkind last year.

On the other side of that argument, how much more would it mean if we were to win a league that includes Mexican heavyweights? And including those teams in our league would force every team -- even Atlanta -- to bulk up spending and resources to be able to compete. It would dramatically increase the level of MLS and it would bring the combined MLS/Liga MX closer to the conversation among the top leagues in the world. Having Club America and Tigres and all those teams would force NYCFC to field better teams, which means the value of your season ticket would go up because you're now seeing an increased level of player 17 times a season.
Let's first win this one, tyvm

Reactions: ZYanksRule
Yep. It's a completely BS argument that we're not spending enough right now. Lampard and Pirlo were signed for marketing reasons, and not for sporting reasons. Mitrita was the highest transfer fee in team history. They're spending. They have one of the best rosters in MLS. They're doing what it takes, even if the playoffs were unkind last year.
Periodic reminder that the team signed another proven world wide star who performed under pressure his entire career at the highest league level and international play, came here and was outstanding over 4 regular seasons, yet never once excelled in an MLS playoff game, or USOC game. He had exactly one outstanding Red Bull game.
There's no advance formula to winning in a playoff system. If you can't rely on David Villa in big games, and we could not, then there's no guarantee any big spend on a name player will work out.
This team has tried relying on a superstar for goals, and scoring by committee, and its goals scored in playoff games is 0, 0, 1, 2, 3, 0, 1, 1. They make the playoffs often, are consistently better than average, occasionally quite excellent, almost never terrible, but rarely the best in the regular season. In the playoffs they are more likely to fall to a worse team than beat a better team, and will never win MLS Cup, simply because that is their destiny. NYCFC is the Minnesota Vikings of MLS.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Christopher Jee
While the schedule will be silly, the format of MLS is already silly, so a different kind of silly doesn't bother me.
My optimistic take on this cash grab is that it WILL force MLS teams to spend more money and put a better product on the field at the cost of being hideously embarrassed if they don't and it MAY force the superleague to behave, tournament-structure-wise, a bit more like the rest of the world in some way.

Though, to that latter point, Liga MX has their apertura / clausura structure which, while common in Latin America, is less so worldwide. I'd be fine if SuperLiga EmElEquis adopted it, which would at least bring "us" into line with the more typical league structure in the western hemisphere.

Reactions: mgarbowski and adam
interesting.....most of the people here seem to be at least ok with idea ( depending on some factors) while reddit is way against it.

Reddit is fanboys I assume.

We’re soccer fans looking for an expansion of the game, better play and better atmospheres.

Reactions: Ferdinand Cesarano
I think if they did this it MLS and Liga MX would remain nearly seperate leagues. MLS teams would mostly play MLS teams and MX teams would mostly play MX teams. Every team would only play 3-5 games a year against teams from the other league so there wouldn't be crazy travel but there would be a few interleague games every weekend. MLS Cup final would be an MLS team vs an MX team though so a likely outcome would be a drastic increase in viewership but also MX teams winning a lot.

I think if they did this it MLS and Liga MX would remain nearly seperate leagues. MLS teams would mostly play MLS teams and MX teams would mostly play MX teams. Every team would only play 3-5 games a year against teams from the other league so there wouldn't be crazy travel but there would be a few interleague games every weekend. MLS Cup final would be an MLS team vs an MX team though so a likely outcome would be a drastic increase in viewership but also MX teams winning a lot.
Basically similar to how MLB introduced interleague play?

If this is the case then I'm okay with it.
Basically, the 'semi-final' will be MLS cup, and the "final" would be more like a supercup of sorts.