MLS - March 11 - Miami (Home)

Non-match comments.
- They removed the small singular left field 2021 MLS Cup championship banner and put up the following in right field instead.
- They updated the center field banner to show Eastern Conference, MLS Cup, and Campeones Cup Championships

On the Apple TV broadcast (watching now)
- They didn't include our starting 11 graphic.
- The camera work for the first 3ish minutes is WTF?
- You never actually see the commentators, just hear their voices.
- You get to watch the pregame experience from the main Yankee Stadium media camera.
- The editing is a bit weird of pregame ceremonies.
- It's the same camera angle as previously but damn it looks sharper.
- I wish they would have used a higher main camera feed. The tactical camera angle is so nice.
- All of the nearside persons on the sideline doing media work makes it look weirder than I remember.
- I miss Joe and Ian calling these games.

Non-match comments.

They removed the small singular left field 2021 MLS Cup championship banner and put up the following in right field instead.

- You get to watch the pregame experience from the main Yankee Stadium media camera.

The banner looks so much nicer. Honestly feels like they didn't have time to do a proper banner last year, so they just scrambled to put something up. That banner looks a lot better, fits a lot better, and the years can be added every time we win one.

Also like the new banner along the outfield fence with the years of our trophy wins. Very sharp.

The Apple TV broadcasts suck. Aside from the nice picture quality, they bring nothing. I miss YES. Sure it was hard to find sometimes, but the coverage itself was top-notch. Joe and Ian were great, and felt like the graphics and replays were all better.

Non-match comments.
- They removed the small singular left field 2021 MLS Cup championship banner and put up the following in right field instead.
- They updated the center field banner to show Eastern Conference, MLS Cup, and Campeones Cup Championships

- I wish they would have used a higher main camera feed. The tactical camera angle is so nice.
- All of the nearside persons on the sideline doing media work makes it look weirder than I remember.
- I miss Joe and Ian calling these games.

Also: On the live broadcast, they did have our starting XI graphic. Not sure why it's not showing up on the replay. That pregame ceremony camera shot was when they were in commercial; for some reason the commercials aren't showing up on the replay.

... Pellegrini sucks. He gave me LOTS of t-mac vibes. Ew.

I thought Martins did very well out there tonight, as did Barraza. Really up on them both.

We need a striker, badly.
Ditto on Martins and Barraza. I thought our wingbacks were good, too. Lots of positive signs elsewhere on the pitch aside from the obvious gigantic hole at striker (which affects everything else in the attack, of course).

Our gaffer evidently sees Pellegrini differently, though.

I'm not sure I'd agree Matias was excellent myself, but I don't think he sucks, either. More like the jury is still out. Matty Lawrence nailed it in the pregame, in my opinion: it's not a question of talent. Pellegrini just needs to find his game again and perform better. But he does need to perform better.

Of course, there's the problem of his best position being the same as Talles Magno's. LOL

Also: On the live broadcast, they did have our starting XI graphic. Not sure why it's not showing up on the replay. That pregame ceremony camera shot was when they were in commercial; for some reason the commercials aren't showing up on the replay.
Yeah, I'm watching the replay. I guess those don't contains commercials since you'd just fast forward (if you could) through it.

Reactions: Kjbert
Those crosses in the first half that were to were no one, it seems like Pereira was not in the right place for those passes. I know people in my section were getting annoyed with Pereira‘s performance today.

Reactions: Shwafta and Kjbert
How about Pel’s crosses?

Yes. Good work rate. Same with Jasson.

Also - Talles Magno really good holdup play when you play short to his feet. But anything above his knee or down the M1, it’s coming back the other way towards our goal.

we are looking better each game. Still look like a team that's learning how to play with each other. Especially our wing backs and back line, where we have the most turnover in positions and players.

Our midfield 3 of santi, sands, parks, were great. they did very well all game. Sands had a few cheap giveaways but I'll chalk that up to his lack of playing at Rangers. I do miss Sands knocking diagonal switches though. I felt that this ball was on at least a handful of times during the game, but Sands never hit a single one. I think Martins hit one or two, but that's it. This used to be our bread and butter, what happened?

Pellegrini works hard. I give him that. But he does not retain possession well despite with Nick said. He did manage to get MOTM vote so I think his workrate is getting noticed at least. Had a good volley, but was unfortunately offsides. I can't tell if he's very fast? When he runs, he doesn't seem to be very fast.. but sometimes looks can be deceiving. 3 games in I am still not impressed, but I applaud the work rate. I just think if you're on the wing with time and space, you should be able to pick out a good ball to one of our guys in the box. twice, pellegrini failed miserably. Although, i admit, we have had much worse from the wing in the past.

Magno needs to be on the wing. END OF STORY NICK. I don't care if you're trying something. I don't care if it's a stop gap while the club looks for a true #9. PUT MAGNO ON THE WING. If you're going to put a player to waste his time as the striker, put someone else. Magno would give us so so much more on the wing. Put pellegrini as the 9 and let the guy run and body people up. At least his workrate will occupy the CBs and give magno and gabby room to take on their fullbacks. Personally, I'd want to see otoole there because I think he's pretty slick on the ball and high soccer IQ, but for the love of god, move magno back to the wing, PLEASE.

Back line needs time to get to know each other. Still a bit disorganized, but expected with the shakeup. We definitely need a solid leftfooted CB though. Chanot is doing a great job but he's not going to go all season and alfaro isn't the answer.

Agree with others saying major dropoff from ilenic to gray. Kid is young but he's quicker and more lively than Gray. He's just inexperienced, but the potential is there for sure. Wish Anton was still around to guide him! Gray... i dunno what to do with him tbh.

I think 1-0 was fair. I'll take the own goal. Both teams had pretty good chances and if we were both clinical, i think the final result would have been like 4-2?

Parks, Santi x 2, own goal vs Josef x 2?

ONTO THE NEXT!

Those crosses in the first half that were to were no one, it seems like Pereira was not in the right place for those passes. I know people in my section were getting annoyed with Pereira‘s performance today.

I seemed like gabby didn't like playing on the infield in the first half. could be the footing is not very comfortable. I can understand that.

How about Pel’s crosses?

Yes. Good work rate. Same with Jasson.
His passes were very hit or miss. A lot of them went waaaay too far or right to the goalkeeper. He did have a few nice ones right in the perfect spot, but I can't tell if it was just my bias or if that's a normal accuracy rate for a player.

Two further thoughts-- I've been a Jasson skeptic but he was very good tonight on the wing after he came on late-- like, really good. Impact sub. And then, after watching the highlights when i got home, the Miami keeper made a lot of excellent saves. We deserved the 3 points tonight.

To me, Pel looks to have the talent, but he seems to lack the confidence to hold onto the ball when he doesn’t have a good passing option and/or doesn’t look for that option soon enough. I don’t think he was MOTM tonight and I’m ok experimenting with him to see if he settles in before we get a real striker. But I still think O’Toole does a better job at exactly those things.

In Pel’s defense, if a winger puts hard crosses into dangerous spots it’s the job of the other guys to get onto the other end of them. Pel’s crosses are usually very good.

I was moaning when Jasson came on instead of O’Toole and mystified that Nick took Gaby off instead of Pel. But Jasson was great tonight. Relentless.

Martins was pretty much dominant, aside from the one time he gave Josef a yard of space and Josef put it over the bar. Martins is beginning to look like a DP.

Ilenic looks great in general but he looked a little confused setting a line. I think he has the positional awareness of an 18 year old fullback who’s probably been one of the best players on the pitch for most his life. Which mean not much. Which is age-appropriate. I also think that early in the match Miami planned to run at him and he did well. Not worried about him at all but at some point he’s gonna get burned badly for a goal and we will just have to shrug it off. Unless it becomes a pattern (cough-Mata-cough).

That nobody is taking about Cufre says volumes. Very solid. Keaton too.

And while Sands wasn’t dinging diagonal balls, he looks like much more of a brick wall/destroyer than he did before he went to Scotland. That’s to our benefit. A big step up from Cacha. (Funny note, late in the first half the scoreboard listed both Sands and Cacha as available subs).

This team has a lot of upside and if this Own Goal guy keeps scoring, who needs a striker?

Also - Deandre Yedlin is not good. He brings nothing. The fact that he spent time playing at the World Cup is such a fucking indictment on Berhalter.
Funny, in the final 15 I was convinced that he was going to burn us and set up the equalizer. Thankfully that didn’t happen.

They looked nice. Police officer wouldn’t let my 5 year old daughter get one though. He can fuck right off. Same with the three cops doing crosswalk duty cracking racist jokes.
Ugh.

I missed out on the beanies and the STH package line was a shitshow too so I guess I’ll pick up my package next week.