MLS - May 11 - Toronto (Away)

Wow, looks like the league got it right.
Are you serious? How the eff does Sean Johnson only get one game for head butting and kicking and chasing our player who gets 2 games. That’s enfuriating to me. He totally lost his mind and only gets one game?

Reactions: FootyLovin
Are you serious? How the eff does Sean Johnson only get one game for head butting and kicking and chasing our player who gets 2 games. That’s enfuriating to me. He totally lost his mind and only gets one game?

I'm not trying to defend the decision but if I had to guess why Sean got off easier I would bet that they took into account:
  1. Sean's 13+ years in the league without to my knowledge any other issues like this
  2. At the start of things, it looks like Sean could be trying to separate players from the two sides as he typically does in these situations
  3. Sean's actions came in response to Tanasijevic head-butting him so the harsher penalty goes to Tanasijevic for starting that portion of the incident.
If you watch the start of the situation Sean comes in from the side and pushes our guys and the TOR guys apart. He pushes Tanasijevic very aggressively and in response Tanasijevic head-butts him. I could be wrong, Sean could have been shouting along with the TOR players and coming in to fight but given how he enters the situation and his general positive reputation across the league I think it's plausible to believe the league gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed he was trying to help and got head-butted.

I'm not trying to defend the decision but if I had to guess why Sean got off easier I would bet that they took into account:
  1. Sean's 13+ years in the league without to my knowledge any other issues like this
  2. At the start of things, it looks like Sean could be trying to separate players from the two sides as he typically does in these situations
  3. Sean's actions came in response to Tanasijevic head-butting him so the harsher penalty goes to Tanasijevic for starting that portion of the incident.
If you watch the start of the situation Sean comes in from the side and pushes our guys and the TOR guys apart. He pushes Tanasijevic very aggressively and in response Tanasijevic head-butts him. I could be wrong, Sean could have been shouting along with the TOR players and coming in to fight but given how he enters the situation and his general positive reputation across the league I think it's plausible to believe the league gave him the benefit of the doubt and assumed he was trying to help and got head-butted.
I just think him losing his mind trumps all of that. It was a really bad look for the league and he was trying to injure Tana with kicks and headbutts while Tana didn’t further retaliate. I thought he earned way more than others. A single game is basically a double yellow. That went well beyond straight red which is three games. I think it’s nuts.

I just think him losing his mind trumps all of that. It was a really bad look for the league and he was trying to injure Tana with kicks and headbutts while Tana didn’t further retaliate. I thought he earned way more than others. A single game is basically a double yellow. That went well beyond straight red which is three games. I think it’s nuts.
I agree about SJ. Don't call matches (including brawls) based on reputation. Call them based on the field of play. SJ deserved more than 1.

I also wonder if Larea might have done something in the tunnel where we haven't seen any footage.

Reactions: dark knight
I agree about SJ. Don't call matches (including brawls) based on reputation. Call them based on the field of play. SJ deserved more than 1.

I also wonder if Larea might have done something in the tunnel where we haven't seen any footage.

Speculation on Reddit regarding Larea is that because he wasn't in the starting XI or subs as he is currently injured he should not have been on the field so the league came down harder on him.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Disco report is up. No additional details. Only say that Johnson, Herdman and Laryea are out for tonight's game and that Owusu and Tanasijevic are serving their red card suspensions. The Disco is continuing their review, so more to come in all likelihood.

Disco GIF

Reactions: KevinJRogers