MLS - November 7 - Philadelphia (Home)

The ref was lost tonight, but that was a red card for me. It wasn't purposeful, and in the pre-VAR days it's probably not a red card, but it's studs over the ball onto a player's leg. In the VAR era, that's a red card.
Didn't say it wasn't a red card. Agree that it was a red. But he lost the control of the match within 20 minutes.

Also Ronny made 1 sub. 1 sub, down 10 men for 70 minutes. The sub was in the 89th minute. You can change players without changing the shape.

Didn't say it wasn't a red card. Agree that it was a red. But he lost the control of the match within 20 minutes.

Also Ronny made 1 sub. 1 sub, down 10 men for 70 minutes. The sub was in the 89th minute. You can change players without changing the shape.

You're right -- he never had control of the match.

Who would you have wanted on the field instead of the guys that were out there? I agree we were tired, but the only good options on the bench were attacking subs, and while it would have been fun to go for the win, it would have been the opposite of fun to go for the win and lose. Conservative was the right course of action.

The available subs not used were: Gloster, Thiago, Rocha, Gudi, Jasson, Latinovich, Magno.

Could you make the case for Gudi and Jasson to come in for that situation? Sure, maybe. But the team was vastly outplaying Philly in the second half, so even though they were tiring, I was perfectly fine with Ronny going with his guys. The bench options -- aside from Thiago and Magno -- are nowhere near the talent level of the guys who were out there.

Ronny was asked about subs early in the season, and his quote was something to the effect of, "I'm not going to make a sub just to make a sub." I think he's right about that. It ended up working out for him, so it was the right decision to make.

Reactions: Shwafta

Who would you have wanted on the field instead of the guys that were out there? I agree we were tired, but the only good options on the bench were attacking subs, and while it would have been fun to go for the win, it would have been the opposite of fun to go for the win and lose. Conservative was the right course of action.

The available subs not used were: Gloster, Thiago, Rocha, Gudi, Jasson, Latinovich, Magno.

Could you make the case for Gudi and Jasson to come in for that situation? Sure, maybe. But the team was vastly outplaying Philly in the second half, so even though they were tiring, I was perfectly fine with Ronny going with his guys. The bench options -- aside from Thiago and Magno -- are nowhere near the talent level of the guys who were out there.

Ronny was asked about subs early in the season, and his quote was something to the effect of, "I'm not going to make a sub just to make a sub." I think he's right about that. It ended up working out for him, so it was the right decision to make.
Was texting with someone during the match and they said "If we concede some people are going to have a cow over no subs until now lol" -- which they're totally right about. Except we didn't concede, and this is the one time that I think Ronny was right not too make too many subs. Besides for Sands, most of our players looked up to the task and didn't look tired. Why switch up something that was working so well? And thus we almost won the game off of a free kick in the late 90+.

By the way before anyone complains about the "offside philly goal", here's a better look I just made. I took the 6 yard box line and moved it. Should be a good indicator...
View attachment 11534
The line i put is thick, in front of Kasper, and still behind the ball. He's very much onside.
Why bother drawing a line when he is clearly behind the ball? Behind the ball, the position of the last defender is not relevant.

By the way before anyone complains about the "offside philly goal", here's a better look I just made. I took the 6 yard box line and moved it. Should be a good indicator...
View attachment 11534
The line i put is thick, in front of Kasper, and still behind the ball. He's very much onside.
That’s not the ball I was questioning. On The first ball to Kasper before he pushed it out wide i thought he was off. I figured the linesman just had his flag down because they are told to wait until the end of the play.

Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta

All well that ends well but Medina was terrible except for one chance, and bore a fair amount of responsibility for Gedion having to make the tackle that earned him the red. He was not making himself available to Sands in the first half and they had a lot of trouble playing out on the right side. After about 80’ I would have brought on Jasson for Medina just to waste some time and cause some chaos.

All well that ends well but Medina was terrible except for one chance, and bore a fair amount of responsibility for Gedion having to make the tackle that earned him the red. He was not making himself available to Sands in the first half and they had a lot of trouble playing out on the right side. After about 80’ I would have brought on Jasson for Medina just to waste some time and cause some chaos.
With all that said: This was a huge result. Coming back with 10 men was remarkable. The team showed a lot of grit. At the half I said I thought Parks was our MVP (and given how they play without him he is a strong contender) but Taty sealed his team MVP tonight. And running over to celebrate with that kid was just a great moment.

LionNYC LionNYC what did you say to Ronni around the 80th minute mark where he looked back at you.
Not sure if you heard me yelling at him to make a sub.

Reactions: Kjbert

I can’t stand Medina but he did a lot of running back in the second half.

If that’s the lineup we start with - I’ll be surprised if we score. Don’t understand why he keeps starting.

I can’t stand Medina but he did a lot of running back in the second half.

If that’s the lineup we start with - I’ll be surprised if we score. Don’t understand why he keeps starting.

We're one of the highest-scoring teams in the league. Medina has been disappointing in the 2nd half of the season, but this team is dynamic on the offensive side of the ball.

I was also surprised that we didn't sub until the last minute. I thought adding Grey for an offensive player and moving Sands to the middle was a pretty obvious move that we would have done earlier. Also, adding Thiago for Medina would have added his pace as an outlet against a tired team.

Still, you can't argue with the result. We didn't just hold on a man down, we were the better team. Philly had clearly had enough and was happy to depart with a point. It's a testament to the guys on the field that they gave so much and kept their energy until the end.

I am usually in the "WHY ARE THERE NO SUBS?!?!" camp, but yesterday I had no issues with the lack of substitutions. It had been a week since the prior game, and it is two weeks minimum until the next game. The forwards on the pitch were the best defensive options - for all Medina's issues, his defensive work rate is better than Thiago's. The backline was in rhythm, with Sands, Chanot and Callens all rotating well to provide cover if one of them pushed the ball forward.

Generally, Ronny needs to improve his substitution patterns. For this game, the lack of substitutions was probably the proper call.

The ref was lost tonight, but that was a red card for me. It wasn't purposeful, and in the pre-VAR days it's probably not a red card, but it's studs over the ball onto a player's leg. In the VAR era, that's a red card.

This play was a classic “crappy concacaf ref doesn’t call it because he doesn’t have the stones to go against the home team but yet we all lose our mind arguing about it” yellow card. With VAR in MLS, yeah, it’s a clear red.

LionNYC LionNYC what did you say to Ronni around the 80th minute mark where he looked back at you.
Not sure if you heard me yelling at him to make a sub.
"These are the worst referees ever."

I gave him the substitution signal and said, "I agree with you. They're terrible and now let's make some subs. Let's get some fresh legs in there."

The only other fun Pitchside note is that Nick Cushing came over and asked for the live scores and table around the 88'.

I am usually in the "WHY ARE THERE NO SUBS?!?!" camp, but yesterday I had no issues with the lack of substitutions. It had been a week since the prior game, and it is two weeks minimum until the next game. The forwards on the pitch were the best defensive options - for all Medina's issues, his defensive work rate is better than Thiago's. The backline was in rhythm, with Sands, Chanot and Callens all rotating well to provide cover if one of them pushed the ball forward.

Generally, Ronny needs to improve his substitution patterns. For this game, the lack of substitutions was probably the proper call.
I am exactly with you. Me and my boys were discussing it in real time and thinking that we were dominating (quite incredibly) Philly a man down with those 10, and RD should keep them on without interruption for as long as possible. I think he got that right.

"These are the worst referees ever."

I gave him the substitution signal and said, "I agree with you. They're terrible and now let's make some subs. Let's get some fresh legs in there."

The only other fun Pitchside note is that Nick Cushing came over and asked for the live scores and table around the 88'.
Yea i was yelling.

I am exactly with you. Me and my boys were discussing it in real time and thinking that we were dominating (quite incredibly) Philly a man down with those 10, and RD should keep them on without interruption for as long as possible. I think he got that right.
I still think he should've made the sub earlier on around the 70th minute. We did very well to start the second half and got a deserved goal through Taty to tie the game. However, I feel if we had made the sub to remove Santi/Medina for Gray, who then would push Sands to midfield, we may have been able to apply more pressure to Philly on the counter while also supporting our defense/midfield. Instead, we allowed Philly to gain a little more possession/presence for the final 20 minutes. Based on the below stats, taken from MLS' website;
1636394535082.png
NYC started the game well, got the red, and Philly took over the remainder of the first half right up until the last 4-5 minutes, where NYC started to launch a counter or two. Second half begins with NYC maintaining the pressure and in the driver seat, then Philly taking over possession. Philly particularly held possession for a while in two moments of the 2nd half, 70'-75' and 80'-85.'

In my opinion, a fresh set of legs in defense and an extra body in midfield would've allowed us to help strengthen our side for the final push and maybe even allow for an additional counter or two. Also looking at xG, We held Philly from any shots for almost 30 minutes (30 minutes down a man!!) before they started getting a little look here and there after the 75th. Gray coming in for the last few minutes looked to give us some speed on the side that Philly didn't have to worry about with Sands there.
1636394701451.png

All in all, not a major worry as our defense did incredibly well the second half. I know he's gotten some shit on the forums, but Morales played a hell of a game being the only CM for 70+ minutes. He was feeling the currywurst fueling his soul in each and every tackle and interception on Sunday.