MLS - September 30 - Miami (Away)

I'll be honest, I'd rather see Messi play against us and we lose than messi out.
...I'd rather see messi play against us and we win, of course ;)

• Wow
Reactions: Kenny
I'll be honest, I'd rather see Messi play against us and we lose than messi out.
...I'd rather see messi play against us and we win, of course ;)

Yeah I want to see Messi play. We're not going to get a lot of chances to see him face us. He's going to be here for what, 2-3 years? That's only 4-6 chances to see him against us. Missing one is suboptimal. Hopefully he plays against us at our place next year.

• Wow
Reactions: Kenny and Shwafta
There’s no way that Messi starts this game given that he hasn’t played since the int’l break with Argentina. Either off the bench or not at all.

There’s no way that Messi starts this game given that he hasn’t played since the int’l break with Argentina. Either off the bench or not at all.
He played against Toronto on 9/20 after returning from NT duty, and left that game injured. But I agree he's very unlikely to start Saturday when he didn't even dress or train for last night.

Reactions: KevinJRogers

I think it's a valid complaint. I am surprised the addition of the League Cup didn't generate more discussion about this when it was added.

The league is in a tough spot. Do the coaches want a larger roster or more salary money so the bottom half of the current rosters are better or both? The sticking point with all of this is the lack of talent in the American player pool. If you up the salary cap but keep the number of international spots the same you just end up having to pay guys like Haak and Gray much more than any other league would pay for them and the roster quality will remain the same. If you increase the international spots and the salary cap the bar for academy players making the first team will be extremely high and the MLS will be a development pipeline for less and less US talent.

I think it's a valid complaint. I am surprised the addition of the League Cup didn't generate more discussion about this when it was added.

The league is in a tough spot. Do the coaches want a larger roster or more salary money so the bottom half of the current rosters are better or both? The sticking point with all of this is the lack of talent in the American player pool. If you up the salary cap but keep the number of international spots the same you just end up having to pay guys like Haak and Gray much more than any other league would pay for them and the roster quality will remain the same. If you increase the international spots and the salary cap the bar for academy players making the first team will be extremely high and the MLS will be a development pipeline for less and less US talent.
I wonder if the league has considered something like "American players / homegrowns don't count towards salary cap" ? I don't know what the implications would actually be, but to me that might help teams bring in more back/rotation players when needed.

I wonder if the league has considered something like "American players / homegrowns don't count towards salary cap" ? I don't know what the implications would actually be, but to me that might help teams bring in more back/rotation players when needed.
I think that's true for homegrowns up to a certain point.

• Wow
Reactions: Shwafta
I think that's true for homegrowns up to a certain point.
So, I looked up the Homegrown salary rules. Here is what currently applies.
  • Roster slots 21-30 don't count against the salary cap.
  • 4 of those slots have a max salary of $85,444, and 6 of them have a max salary of $67,360 (2 of which can only be Homegrown).
  • Clubs get a total of $125,000 extra to pay Homegrowns in these slots above those maximums.
  • Clubs can use up to $200,000 of TAM to sign Homegrowns to their first contract.
To be clear - the extra money above is in aggregate across all the Homegrowns in those roster slots.

This means each team has $746,936 extra to spend on lower salary players, plus up to another $325,000 for Homegrowns - or $1,071,936 in total.

dammit. Alba out is great but was hoping we could swerve the GOAT as well. Maybe he doesn't start at least
He's listed as questionable. But it's a must-win game for them as well as us, so my guess is he'll play if it's at all possible.

If he starts, he won't make it past the 60' mark. And he will almost certainly get pulled before then if the score gets lopsided either way. If he doesn't start he might make his way into the game after the 60' mark -- if it's really close and Miami is hunting a goal.

It's all about the workload. I came across this piece a few days ago, really lays out how high the demands are, and have been: Inter Miami’s unrelenting schedule has caught up to Lionel Messi

Reactions: JayH
If he starts, he won't make it past the 60' mark. And he will almost certainly get pulled before then if the score gets lopsided either way. If he doesn't start he might make his way into the game after the 60' mark -- if it's really close and Miami is hunting a goal.
I think he does not come in until at least '70 and agree that it will only be if the game is close, probably even or Miami down a goal. He played 36 minutes against Toronto on 9/20, and before that 88 minutes against Ecuador on September 7, nearly 3.5 weeks ago. His first training this week was today. Even without injuries it's hard to think he is match fit. He's talented, not Superman. His age won't help either.

The law firm of Moralez, Morales & Mizell are out according to the team injury report.

I have the feeling Alfredo is the next to get the ax.

Reactions: KevinJRogers