Seasoned Supporter
May 4, 2015
Astoria
highwatermedia.com
Last edited:
Maybe this chouldl be the return of the North American SuperLiga

963px-North_American_SuperLiga_logo.svg.png

Reactions: adam
Bah, we don't need two. Expand the CCL or something.

8 Liga MX
8 MLS
12 Central American Zone
4 Caribbean Zone

A bunch more Liga MX v MLS matchups will generate more money, which can be used to help with travel for smaller teams.

Bah, we don't need two. Expand the CCL or something.

8 Liga MX
8 MLS
12 Central American Zone
4 Caribbean Zone

A bunch more Liga MX v MLS matchups will generate more money, which can be used to help with travel for smaller teams.

Nah. I like CCL being hard to achieve. Then a 2 tourney liga MX - MLS where everyone participates is pretty cool. And maybe it's a stepping stone to eventually merging the leagues in some form. North and South conferences? That's a real cup match. Liga MX vs MLS winner every season. With a few interleague matches spread out each year. I wouldn't mind 2-3 liga MX teams on the schedule, especially if we balanced our own conference schedules more after expansion.

If we did it NFL styles when we got to 24 teams is may work like this:

2 confences of 3 divisions. Each with 4 teams.
Play your whole conference twice a year (home/away). And a 3rd match for divisional opponents (Rivalry). That's 25 matches right there.

then you alternate with a home/away match with one of the divisions in the other confence on a 3 year cycle. That's 8 matches.

And 4 Liga MX teams, only home or away. That's 4 matches.

Total = 37 matches.

It seems like Liga MX is looking to fill the hole created by withdrawing from the 2017 Copa Libertadores, and is floating a cup competition against MLS.

Would this be a one-off? I love the idea.

Liga MX open to potential new cup competition with MLS - president http://espnfc.com/mexican-liga-mx/s...new-cup-competition-with-mls-league-president
This definitely needs to happen. We don't have enough matches as it is. Because of that, we don't get to blood new players or incorporate them into the squad. This would be a good step for the league and would generate revenue that goes to upping the GAM money each team has.

Yes, between the quality of the competition and just the added revenue and intrigue, it needs to happen.

I think it would be one season as LigaMX said they intend to return to CL in 2018.

Nah. I like CCL being hard to achieve. Then a 2 tourney liga MX - MLS where everyone participates is pretty cool. And maybe it's a stepping stone to eventually merging the leagues in some form. North and South conferences? That's a real cup match. Liga MX vs MLS winner every season. With a few interleague matches spread out each year. I wouldn't mind 2-3 liga MX teams on the schedule, especially if we balanced our own conference schedules more after expansion.

If we did it NFL styles when we got to 24 teams is may work like this:

2 confences of 3 divisions. Each with 4 teams.
Play your whole conference twice a year (home/away). And a 3rd match for divisional opponents (Rivalry). That's 25 matches right there.

then you alternate with a home/away match with one of the divisions in the other confence on a 3 year cycle. That's 8 matches.

And 4 Liga MX teams, only home or away. That's 4 matches.

Total = 37 matches.

someone alluded to this in reddit TV stations in mexico have way to much power and wont like to give that up.

it will be interesting how this develops....personally i think you just improve the CCL. or make this for teams not qualified for CCL ( europa league esque?) from what i read it was a thought that liga mx was just going to start discussing with MLS and see if they are on board and figure out logistics.

if its superliga id like it to alternate from US to Mexico year to year.

i wonder what concacaf thinks about this

Reactions: FootyLovin and adam
Invest in CCL please:

Code:
MEX1    MEX2    MEX3    MEX4
USA8    USA7    USA6    USA5
CRC1    HON1    GUA1    PAN1
CAR4    CAR3    CAR2    CAR1

MEX5    MEX6    MEX7    MEX8
USA4    USA3    USA2    USA1
CRC2    HON2    GUA2    PAN2
BLZ1    SLV1    NIC1    CRC3

someone alluded to this in reddit TV stations in mexico have way to much power and wont like to give that up.

it will be interesting how this develops....personally i think you just improve the CCL. or make this for teams not qualified for CCL ( europa league esque?) from what i read it was a thought that liga mx was just going to start discussing with MLS and see if they are on board and figure out logistics.

if its superliga id like it to alternate from US to Mexico year to year.

i wonder what concacaf thinks about this

I like the "Europa" idea. That way you have 8-12 MLS teams playing vs liga MX each season. It also keeps the CCL as being important. And it makes qualifying for MLS playoffs (even if you lose 1st round) more important, as that's what would get you into the lower tournament.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Invest in CCL please:

Code:
MEX1    MEX2    MEX3    MEX4
USA8    USA7    USA6    USA5
CRC1    HON1    GUA1    PAN1
CAR4    CAR3    CAR2    CAR1

MEX5    MEX6    MEX7    MEX8
USA4    USA3    USA2    USA1
CRC2    HON2    GUA2    PAN2
BLZ1    SLV1    NIC1    CRC3

i think current amount of teams is fine....but if you add more teams then bring back the preliminary round. i honestly liked that format four groups of four in main round after prelims.

i think current amount of teams is fine....but if you add more teams then bring back the preliminary round. i honestly liked that format four groups of four in main round after prelims.

I think every group should have an MLS-MX matchup if you want to maximize interest and TV deal money. If you have 16 teams in the group stage, that only leaves 8 for Central and Caribbean zones, which leaves teams out and is quite unfair on a merit basis to Costa Rican clubs, for example.

Might as well go big.

I think every group should have an MLS-MX matchup if you want to maximize interest and TV deal money. If you have 16 teams in the group stage, that only leaves 8 for Central and Caribbean zones, which leaves teams out and is quite unfair on a merit basis to Costa Rican clubs, for example.

Might as well go big.

but you had MLS-LIGA MX group match ups in previous format ( unless one or the other didnt make it out of the preliminary round) and it rewarded and central/ caribbean team that eliminated a liga MX/ MLS team in preliminary round.

or have seeding like uefa does where it allocated ( every 5 years i think?) to each nation.

going bigger is not the answer to me....more costs and some of these teams in central america and caribbean can barely make ends meet.

but you had MLS-LIGA MX group match ups in previous format ( unless one or the other didnt make it out of the preliminary round) and it rewarded and central/ caribbean team that eliminated a liga MX/ MLS team in preliminary round.

or have seeding like uefa does where it allocated ( every 5 years i think?) to each nation.

going bigger is not the answer to me....more costs and some of these teams in central america and caribbean can barely make ends meet.

I just reviewed the 2011-12 tournament and you might be right. I was thinking there were fewer MLS-MX matchups then, but all nine North American Zone qualifiers made it thru prelims which led to 12 group stage MLS-MX matchups.

That old format looks pretty great to me.

I still think at one point soon we will see I giant Grand Americas Copa Libertadores.

whatever happened to that? after those initial articles i saw nothing else on it. i think 2017 was supposed to have something going. unless it happens all of a sudden.

i still think travel is what kills that idea.

whatever happened to that? after those initial articles i saw nothing else on it. i think 2017 was supposed to have something going. unless it happens all of a sudden.

i still think travel is what kills that idea.

It would have to be a late stage integration, like merged knockout rounds.

This definitely needs to happen. We don't have enough matches as it is. Because of that, we don't get to blood new players or incorporate them into the squad. This would be a good step for the league and would generate revenue that goes to upping the GAM money each team has.
Definitely need more matches for players down the depth chart... in addition to a Reward Competition (like this), it feels like we should have a League Cup running concurrently with the regular season. All 22 teams in either a knock-out or home/away format (with a few teams getting a bye to make the table work) that starts before the USOpen Cup kicks off (first month of season?). Much like in the EPL, it probably wouldn't be as important as the regular season, so Youth/bench players get a chance to play. But it would be a source of another piece of hardware and playing time; a way to test players/formations/tactics.

Reactions: adam
Definitely need more matches for players down the depth chart... in addition to a Reward Competition (like this), it feels like we should have a League Cup running concurrently with the regular season. All 22 teams in either a knock-out or home/away format (with a few teams getting a bye to make the table work) that starts before the USOpen Cup kicks off (first month of season?). Much like in the EPL, it probably wouldn't be as important as the regular season, so Youth/bench players get a chance to play. But it would be a source of another piece of hardware and playing time; a way to test players/formations/tactics.
This isn't a rewards competition from my understanding. It's simply a knockout cup competition that MLS & MX both participate in, right? Now, all of the other Europa-esque talk is something different entirely. If that happens, it should be in addition to the MLS-MX Cup, not in place of, imo.

This isn't a rewards competition from my understanding. It's simply a knockout cup competition that MLS & MX both participate in, right? Now, all of the other Europa-esque talk is something different entirely. If that happens, it should be in addition to the MLS-MX Cup, not in place of, imo.
Not sure.

There should be: CCCL (reward), MLS-MX (either all-inclusive leagues-duel or top8? reward), MLS Cup (reward), USOpen Cup (all-inclusive), League Cup (all-inclusive).

I like reward cups as incentive, but every team needs additional fixtures that can lead to hardware.