MLS vs. Liga MX - Leagues Cup 2019

I guess NYCFC would compete based on its position on the table this season. Or do the use live standings next season? Where the hell would we play these matches???
I'm not sure, it was still presented as hypothetical, though it was phrased in a manner that made it sound likely to happen.

They noted that these games would be hosted at MLS teams' home stadiums, but I'm guessing you mean more specifically in what that means for us? Perhaps it would be an opportunity to get some more Queens-time??

I'm not sure, it was still presented as hypothetical, though it was phrased in a manner that made it sound likely to happen.

They noted that these games would be hosted at MLS teams' home stadiums, but I'm guessing you mean more specifically in what that means for us? Perhaps it would be an opportunity to get some more Queens-time??

Last time I checked, the Mets still play in August (no matter how bad their record is). It will be hard to squeeze some weekday matches in there, unless they are on a road trip.

Looks like we could do 8/14 or 8/15. And Wed 8/29 (8/28 is open, but Mets play on 8/26. Not enough time to turn over).

https://www.mlb.com/mets/schedule/2018-08/list

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Last time I checked, the Mets still play in August (no matter how bad their record is). It will be hard to squeeze some weekday matches in there, unless they are on a road trip.

Looks like we could do 8/14 or 8/15. And Wed 8/29 (8/28 is open, but Mets play on 8/26. Not enough time to turn over).

https://www.mlb.com/mets/schedule/2018-08/list
To be honest, I didn't check at all what the baseball calendars looked like. I just assumed that perhaps Citi Field may have some availability in its schedule.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
Last edited:
Reactions: Shwafta and adam
Reactions: adam and LionNYC
Honestly I think this will be good for the league. Up until now, what purpose did teams have in good depth? If a few players got injured? Otherwise, teams basically had 11-15 'great' guys, and the rest were trash. This will help give teams an incentive to stock up on good players all around- it'll increase quality of players in the league. Forcing teams to have to rotate a lot creates such a demand, in my opinion.

Reactions: sbrylski
giphy.gif

Per liga MX site for 2020 this leagues cup will expand to 16 teams. and the top 4 in east conference and top 4 in west conference at the end of 2019 season will qualify to next years tournament ( assuming they did not qualify to CCL already)

EDIT: oh lol should of gone to the source

Like it or not, most playoff teams will end up in either CCL or this competition next year, including us. Chances are 1-3 teams from the East will qualify for CCL, either by winning USOC, CanCup, finishing first in the East (if not Canadian), or winning MLS Cup. Then the next 4 highest remaining finishers from the 2019 season will end up in this. That means 5-7 teams in either competition.

I can't wait to host a Mexican team at 2.1k capacity Belson Field. Seriously. I actually think it can be a simultaneous sublime/ridiculous experience, in the best way.

Also, we have this thread with substantive posts but a title that does not have the actual competition name. Then we have a thread called Leagues Cup that has nothing but one post with a GIF in it. May I please ask either LionNYC or NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan to combine them and use the better thread title? Thanks.

Last edited:
Like it or not, most playoff teams will end up in either CCL or this competition next year, including us. Chances are 1-3 teams from the East will qualify for CCL, either by winning USOC, CanCup, finishing first in the East (if not Canadian), or winning MLS Cup. Then the highest finishers from the 2019 season will end up in this. That means 5-7 teams in either competition.

I can't wait to host a Mexican team at 2.1k capacity Belson Field. Seriously. I actually think it can be a simultaneous sublime/ridiculous experience, in the best way.

Also, we have this thread with substantive posts but a title that does not have the actual competition name. Then we have a thread called Leagues Cup that has nothing but one post with a GIF in it. May I please ask either LionNYC or NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan to combine them and use the better thread title? Thanks.
See, I think that a mexican team coming to NY would garner a HUMUNGOUS attendance (probably for the other side like we saw in chicago the othern ight...) boost. Yankee stadium would easily get to 30k.

Reactions: Ulrich
Like it or not, most playoff teams will end up in either CCL or this competition next year, including us. Chances are 1-3 teams from the East will qualify for CCL, either by winning USOC, CanCup, finishing first in the East (if not Canadian), or winning MLS Cup. Then the highest finishers from the 2019 season will end up in this. That means 5-7 teams in either competition.

I changed the thread title but i couldn’t find a thread with ‘Leagues Cup’ as the title.

Edit: got it. For some reason the ‘Other Football’ section wasn’t being indexed by search.

https://theathletic.com/1097475/2019/07/25/in-opening-games-leagues-cup-proves-to-be-an-ill-conceived-experiment-for-mls-sides/
"Why is MLS doing this? It’s certainly not for the short-term betterment of its clubs. If it’s for its own fans, it’s not working; supporters of the Liga MX participants were visibly and audibly dominant in the quarterfinals. It’s not primarily to drive more interest in the CCL, which Mexican clubs have won all 12 years it’s existed. It does give MLS an additional platform to show they can compete with Liga MX, but that’s not the biggest aim. Not by a longshot.

This tournament is about two things: 1) Giving additional, attractive inventory to broadcast partners ESPN and Univision, which is significant ahead of expiration of the league’s current broadcast deal in 2022 and 2) Kicking the tires on the “ultimate dream” of a combined MLS and Liga MX."​

https://theathletic.com/1097475/2019/07/25/in-opening-games-leagues-cup-proves-to-be-an-ill-conceived-experiment-for-mls-sides/
"Why is MLS doing this? It’s certainly not for the short-term betterment of its clubs. If it’s for its own fans, it’s not working; supporters of the Liga MX participants were visibly and audibly dominant in the quarterfinals. It’s not primarily to drive more interest in the CCL, which Mexican clubs have won all 12 years it’s existed. It does give MLS an additional platform to show they can compete with Liga MX, but that’s not the biggest aim. Not by a longshot.

This tournament is about two things: 1) Giving additional, attractive inventory to broadcast partners ESPN and Univision, which is significant ahead of expiration of the league’s current broadcast deal in 2022 and 2) Kicking the tires on the “ultimate dream” of a combined MLS and Liga MX."​

the teams selected this year is so random and just bad planning. Teams were no where near prepared for this. the rosters were built with only MLS, and open cup in mind. swing and a huge miss from MLS side ( even if LAG pulls it off). next year i can only assume there will be some more GAM/ TAM given or something to help as basically half the league will be in "international competition"

lol at the combined league, thats only wanted by the league FO on both sides. not by fans and sure as hell not from players. imagine nyc to veracruz? or worse yet vancounver to veracruz? lol damn.

If this is really to try and spice up a good TV deal with ESPN then is not going to do the job i think.

i do think Dome will want to go for this one if given the chance