New York City Trip

• Thread starter Nicholas Constantino
  • Start date
N

Nicholas Constantino

Hey guys, I know the majority of you are from the City so I have a few questions.

I have been down a few times, but just basically went to the same spots-- Times Square and the Italian and Chinese sections.

I plan to come down with my girlfriend the Saturday before our first home game (March 14).

I am wondering what would be a few things we could do in one day that would be a fun time. Maybe places to eat as well. :)

I think I'm coming up to see us play the red bulls on June 28,I'm taking a bus to grand central station from central Pennsylvania,does anyone know how reliable metro rail north is?
Very. It's the second largest commuter rail system in the country and gets more than 80 million riders a year to their destination.

Hey guys, I know the majority of you are from the City so I have a few questions.

I have been down a few times, but just basically went to the same spots-- Times Square and the Italian and Chinese sections.

I plan to come down with my girlfriend the Saturday before our first home game (March 14).

I am wondering what would be a few things we could do in one day that would be a fun time. Maybe places to eat as well. :)
trek out to Brooklyn and have a slice at L&B Spumoni Gardens, then walk a couple blocks over and get a roast beef hero with mozzarella, onions and gravy at John's Deli.

trek out to Brooklyn and have a slice at L&B Spumoni Gardens, then walk a couple blocks over and get a roast beef hero with mozzarella, onions and gravy at John's Deli.
Sacrilege, I'm sure, but L&B sauce is too sweet.

Best pizza for my money is at DiFara in Brooklyn, where the guy making the pizza has hands so callused that he reaches into the oven to take pizzas out with a mitt...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Di_Fara_Pizza

Best roast beef sandwich in the BK:

Brennan and Carr, 3432 Nostrand Ave., at Avenue U

Sacrilege, I'm sure, but L&B sauce is too sweet.

Best pizza for my money is at DiFara in Brooklyn, where the guy making the pizza has hands so callused that he reaches into the oven to take pizzas out with a mitt...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Di_Fara_Pizza

Best roast beef sandwich in the BK:

Brennan and Carr, 3432 Nostrand Ave., at Avenue U
Go to the village and west broadway
Whatever your gf likes, there is a museum for that. Perfect for a few hours.
Hey thanks guys! Will look over all these ideas and talk them over with my girlfriend. Great advice :)
Oh, and ofcourse. That is the main inspiration for the trip down. ;)

Reactions: LostAnvil
Dn't take the pay ferrys to see the statue of liberty and ellis island - ride the staten island ferry - it's 25 mins each way, you can get off and on the next boat if you hustle and you can see and get good pics of both. Plus 3.25 domestic tall boys with souvenir brown bag available on the boat and in the ferry terminals.

I think I'm coming up to see us play the red bulls on June 28,I'm taking a bus to grand central station from central Pennsylvania,does anyone know how reliable metro rail north is?
Metro north is great.

Free activities:
  • Walk the Highline
  • 9/11 Memorial
Food:
  • Soul food, Amy Ruth's in Harlem is great. Harlem is a bit grungy but very safe ( I used to live there)
  • Sophie's or Tina's Cuban/Dominican food is quick, cheap, filling and tasty
  • Maloney and Porcelli..upscale steakhouse has a great deal..unlimited wine and 3 course dinner for $80/person..gotta make reservations after 8pm though.
  • Street food aka Halal is always tasty..some say that some vendors are better than others..I like them all the same

Catch a Broadway Show at TKTS booth in Times Square. You basically to the booth a few hours before a show starts and you get tickets to most shows, plays, musicals on and off Broadway for at least 40% off the ticket price. Matinees are even cheaper. Plenty of great but touristy food spots around there as well.