Nick Cushing Named Interim Head Coach (July '22) / Head Coach (November '22)

What Are Your Thoughts on Cushing as NYCFC Head Coach?

• Quite Really Pleased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Really Pleased

• Pleased

• Neither Pleased or Displeased

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Displeased

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Really Displeased

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Quite Really Displeased

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters
This is not his fault.

I would say that it is not his fault that the team isn't in the top-4 in the East. The roster is not a contending roster right now.

But the fact that we continue to have the same issues every game without any notable signs of improvement falls on his shoulders. This league/conference isn't a juggernaut this year. We have had plenty of opportunities to capitalize playing against teams with incomplete rosters, poorly constructed rosters, etc, and we can't get any points. That falls directly on him.

I think if we miss the playoffs, Nick and the club “mutually agree to part ways”

i think this would be reasonable. but my gut tells me the club is willing to give him another full season with added players from the summer window.

Nick isn't going anywhere though. I'd be shocked if they let him go at this point

Only reason to let him go now is if they think the season is salvageable and someone else is more likely to get wins between now and the window/5 week break. By salvageable I mean more than just making the playoffs, though that is a key goal. Honestly I think if they're smart they already are looking to next year. If they can line someone up by July, probably another internal CFG candidate, I think Nick is in danger of going this summer, though I mostly agree with JCMore JCMore that they wait until season end.

But a real wild card is that with new players and 7 of the final 10 games at home the club is very likely to have improved results no matter what. If the club has very improved results but ends below the line, it will look really bad. Letting him manage a crap team for a year, finally give him what is needed, it works, and then let him go because the hole was too deep? Damn that sux. Which is why, even though I think he's safe to season end, I won't be surprised if I'm wrong. The logic of installing a new boss with both new players and a favorable schedule is too clear.

Final note, 7 of NYCFC's final 8 games are against teams currently sitting at spots 7-15 in the East, so not only is the schedule easier but NYC can take points from the very teams they will need to climb over or stay ahead of.

Last edited:
With the firing of Bob Bradley today, four out of the five bottom teams in the Eastern Conference table have fired their coach. Take a guess at the one that has not.

Good. There is absolutely no reason to fire Cushing. He's not the reason this team isn't winning, and I'd say he's probably one of the reasons things haven't completely spiraled. A team that fights back to earn a point on the road after a cross-country flight and a double game week is not a situation where the coach needs to be fired. The players are still playing for him.

If we just get 8 or 9 seed and lose in the Wild Card round, would Nick still be the manager for 2024?

Reactions: Kjbert
If we just get 8 or 9 seeds and lose in the Wild Card round, would Nick still be the manager for 2024?
Most likely CFG keep him on yes?
I’ve been all over the place on this Cushing thing. Right now I am of the mindset that no one else is they put in charge is going to get much more out of this team. One thing I believe is that Cushing will never be vocal about the roster in a way that would seem to be an attack on front office. He tip toes around cause he really is a CFG guy.
That’s the line. Atleast to me. He does that then he keeps his job
This is why I was one of those unhappy with not bolstering the roster and making a run at another cup last season when Fredo got injured and Taty was going out the door. Went from champs to being like “ if this coach can get us a wild card spot in the playoffs good on ‘im.” in a very short time.

Most likely CFG keep him on yes?
I’ve been all over the place on this Cushing thing. Right now I am of the mindset that no one else is they put in charge is going to get much more out of this team. One thing I believe is that Cushing will never be vocal about the roster in a way that would seem to be an attack on front office. He tip toes around cause he really is a CFG guy.

This is why I was one of those unhappy with not bolstering the roster and making a run at another cup last season when Fredo got injured and Taty was going out the door. Went from champs to being like “ if this coach can get us a wild card spot in the playoffs good on ‘im.” in a very short time.
Agreed. It's a company guy and isn't going to do anything to rile up any trouble. That being said, I do wonder of any greater ambitions he possibly has. Surely I would think he'd like to coach an EPL team not named Manchester City.

As our next coach will be a CFG coach, maybe they had the Mumbai City coach in to see if he wants to manage this team. Maybe they will swap coaches. I think Cushing is a good coach, but he might not be the right voice for these guys.

What about David Lee

I think what happens with Lee could give some insight into who's calling the shots and what type of autonomy our front office has. Any GM with full authority over a roster that built a team with this many holes that have existed across numerous transfer windows would be gone.

If we miss the playoffs and Lee is not gone I think that's a pretty good sign that he's a figurehead caretaker and the real decisions on signings are coming from elsewhere in CFG.

I have quibbles but mostly agree.
A very good, interesting read. Makes me wonder (as I’ve been doing for some time now) why Segal isn’t getting more starts.

Also wonder if all of our “1-year grace period from criticism” talk after 2021 was premature. It took the team a year of pretty good performance and a deep playoff run before they finally fully dismantled 2021. This year is the grace period they earned in 2021. They just took a rain check on it for the 2022 season.