NYCFC 2021 MLS Cup Champions

PSA: With the CCL Draw and 2022 Schedule both tomorrow, I’m going to index them 2021 season and start to post the 2022 match threads. You’ll still be able to find this and the rest of the 2021 threads under the Prior Seasons banner.

INJURY BROS!

qmlgbu2ygfmvpwv3uhhf.jpg

more pics here: https://www.nycfc.com/albums/match-photos-nycfc-become-2021-mls-cup-champions

Doyle posted this before the game. Tayvon Gray was the second youngest ever MLS Cup starter. Aidan Morris started and won with Columbus last year, and was 87 days younger. Just as Gray stepped in for Tinnerholm after his injury, Morris started when Darlington Nagbe had to sit out due to Covid.

Lol when the new Mrs. Schwallacus Schwallacus comes running through the door in her gown at the end.

Figure I'll add a few pics from the event, NYCFC related of course...
1. Reaction to Taty's goal
IMG_4563.JPG

2. Club came through with some Heineken merch and such (Will explain more in another post).
IMG_4521.JPG

3. Literally ran to cocktail hour (was a few minutes late due to celebrations) fully dressed for the occasion.
IMG_20211213_180147.jpg

Reactions: Kjbert and Sabo
new york area did not make the top 10 local markets for viewership. philly was #1.
I can only imagine every Philadelphia sports fan hate watching the final, even 76er/Eagles/Philles fans who don't give a crap about soccer because they learned Philly was robbed and just wanted NY to lose. I'm even more convinced than I was a week ago that the Union/NYCFC rivalry is about to get hot.

I'm not shocked NY is not up there. Maybe a bit that we're not even top 10, but so much of the city just doesn't care. My raised eyebrows go to Albuquerque at #2 (Las Cruces/Barraza spillover? - no I don't even believe that), Pittsburgh tied with Portland at #4 (FYI Pittsburgh has a smaller metro area population), New Orleans at 6 and West Palm beach in a 4-way tie for 7th Place. MLS cities round out the rest of the list, of which Cincinnati at #3 is another small surprise to me.

I may be the exception but I thought Sims' speech was fine. He gave a ton of credit to the supporters, thanked the right people, and even showed some emotion and excitement. The stadium bit seemed to just have been a reaction (albeit a little awkward) to the crowd forcing the point (which I expected the crowd to do but was kind of annoying/inappropriate.)

Article opens by saying - as soon as Callens hit the winner - that Chanot and Maxi ran not to Callens with everyone else but straight to the NYCFC supporters corner, where they hugged. I didn't notice that and the TV feed does not show it (although I confirmed they are not celebrating with the group for the first minute or so). If anyone has seen any other video that has it I'd love a pointer to it.

Also the article comments are Philly toxic. Stay away.

Sorry if someone else posted this already, but I'm just catching up ... Sam Stejskal tweeted the video. It's so awesome. They run right to the supporters.

It was a nice ceremony at City Hall, but I really wish the team did something bigger. If it's true that they declined a parade, I really think they underestimated the interest in this. City Hall event is great, but an evening rally at Yankee Stadium would have gotten plenty of folks. Maybe they couldn't use YS due to Pinstripe Bowl setups, but if not it would have been great for there to have been another event with a capacity of, say, 5,000 people. This one was just far too small for the interest.

That said, it was a nice event on TV. YES had their own show on it with interviews, etc, they're encoring it a bunch. Also another show on Thursday night with lots of encores. Pretty cool to see them giving us so much coverage during and after this run.

Reactions: Shwafta and JayH
It was a nice ceremony at City Hall, but I really wish the team did something bigger. If it's true that they declined a parade, I really think they underestimated the interest in this. City Hall event is great, but an evening rally at Yankee Stadium would have gotten plenty of folks. Maybe they couldn't use YS due to Pinstripe Bowl setups, but if not it would have been great for there to have been another event with a capacity of, say, 5,000 people. This one was just far too small for the interest.

That said, it was a nice event on TV. YES had their own show on it with interviews, etc, they're encoring it a bunch. Also another show on Thursday night with lots of encores. Pretty cool to see them giving us so much coverage during and after this run.
If there was really that much interest, why did no one show up and crowd the park behind city hall?