NYCFC 2021 MLS Cup Champions

I was thinking today about this run we just witnessed. I'm just blown away by what this team accomplished the last two weeks.

Winning three road games -- but not only winning those games, winning them in the fashion we did. Scoring the ET goal at New England, then allowing one two minutes from time. And we still hang on. Going into Philly. I know they were undermanned, but we were gassed after the previous game, and we hung in there -- and scored the winner two minutes from time.

And now last night -- we are literally 10 seconds from winning when we give up the game-tying goal. One damn clearance away, that's all it was. And the team regroups, refocuses, and gets back to work. I was sure Portland was going to pop one early in extra time. How would we be able to survive losing the title in that fashion? But by the 2nd ET session, we actually had the better of play again. And then we go into penalties and drill four of them right in front of the Timbers Army, and Sean comes up with two saves. And the second save on Valeri -- that one was absolutely incredible.

Our team did all of that. They won three road games in absolutely insane fashion in the playoffs to win the Cup. It's extraordinary. This wasn't just a championship, this was three games that couldn't possibly have been harder or more tense, and three games where we took it to some really good teams. It's just an extraordinary run. This championship run was incredible. I'm blown away.

(OK, sorry. I just had to get that off my chest)

It's not the one sold from the game, but ruffneck is selling Portland vs NYCFC scarfs
They have added separate blue and white versions of a 2021 MLS Cup Champion scarf, and the white one is sharp.

They have added separate blue and white versions of a 2021 MLS Cup Champion scarf, and the white one is sharp.

these are also on the MLS store website too.

Actually was ready to pull the trigger on this scarf, but didn't meet the free shipping threshold and didn't want to pay for shipping for a scarf. I'm confident there will be plenty of these at the team store in 2022.. i hope. lol. either way i'm getting a new jersey to rock that star .. hope the 2022 secondary is LIT

Last edited:
Finally settling down after a crazy 48 hours. Junior and I had a blast — great seeing a few of you in Portland.
As Jr pointed out, it’s been a crazy soccer 1/2 year for us. Chelsea won the CL, USA won two Cups and NYCFC took the cup.
I made sure he realizes how special this was. Glad I’ve been able to experience it with all of you guys all of these years!
And thanks to mgarbowski mgarbowski for linking to my Portland sky photo! I was proud of that.

giphy.gif

Seriously, it's 10:20 already.

Reactions: Kjbert
anyone do the awful job of listening to him blather on and on - did he mention anything about NYCFC and the celebration?
They're talking about covid and stuff and then carlina rivera mentioned it during her report.

Not yet there for the official announcement of anything

Reactions: Kjbert