NYCFC 2021 MLS Cup Champions

Do we know how long the event is going to be? I'm taking off of work some time for this.

I would assume speeches by BDB and players, plus each player gets the key to the city. Maybe some other celebratory stuff? Probably at least an hour. Maybe a little more? Hard to know for sure.

Reactions: Shwafta and Kjbert
Hello City Member,

We’re so excited to celebrate the 2021 MLS CUP CHAMPIONS back home in NEW YORK CITY! We cannot thank you enough for your support throughout the Club’s history and especially during this epic 2021 CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON.

As a valued member of the Club, we’d like to extend an invitation to the NYCFC “Keys to the City” event at City Hall on Tuesday 12/14.Registration Password: NYCFCCUP
Date: TUESDAY, DECEMBER 14, 2021
Timing: Doors| 10:00AM, Ceremony Begins | 12:00PM
Where: CITY HALL, NY, NY 10007

Please note, we are holding a limited number of tickets especially for City Members. Spaces are limited and available on a first come, first served basis.
All attendees MUST RSVP via the link, only (1) one ticket per RSVP and all attendees must present their ticket, valid ID and proof of vaccination for admittance to the event. There will be no on-site registration or list. Please visit www.nycfc.com/mlscup for more details. Please note, your RSVP’s are limited to the same number of seats you have on your account.​

Event appears to already be sold out on EventBrite. Maybe they would have had enough interest to actually do a parade after all.

Reactions: Kjbert
EVENT IS SOLD OUT.

There will be a stream on twitter @nycmayorsoffice
Wow it's almost like there are more than enough NYCFC fans to make a big event. Who would have thought?!
I hope that fans crowd the streets all around the event even if they can't be inside it.

I still think a parade would be the best.

Event appears to already be sold out on EventBrite. Maybe they would have had enough interest to actually do a parade after all.

I'm willing to bet the event was limited to maybe 1000, which isn't that much.

a full on ticker tape parade would probably be a bit much but could have had a smaller parade to allow more people to attend instead of a ticketed only celebration at city hall

Wow it's almost like there are more than enough NYCFC fans to make a big event. Who would have thought?!
I hope that fans crowd the streets all around the event even if they can't be inside it.

I still think a parade would be the best.

Yep -- just because you can't get in the gates doesn't mean you can't be there.

And yes I agree a full ticker-tape would be a bit much, but they did a ticker-tape parade attended by 300,000 for the USWNT. Is 300,000 a little high for us? Maybe, but maybe not. Maybe they see the interest and can add something. Surely this won't be the ONLY celebration event this week, right?

From Newsday:

In an email to Newsday, City Hall spokeswoman Lauren Bale explained why there will be no parade for NYCFC.

"The City offers both a ticker tape parade and ceremony to all New York City sports teams who win a national major league title," the email read. "Teams are able to pick the experience and NYCFC decided to forgo a parade at this time due to the team’s capacity. We’re looking forward to celebrating with the team and fans at a City Hall ceremony tomorrow!"

"Due to the team's capacity" is an interesting line. Were they worried there would be an embarrassingly-small turnout and didn't want to take that risk?

• Sad
Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta
i got a ticket but might not be able to go. PM if you are interest in attending the event and if i cant go ill PM you back.

From Newsday:

"Due to the team's capacity" is an interesting line. Were they worried there would be an embarrassingly-small turnout and didn't want to take that risk?

this is the reason, and i get it. I personally would not of been able to go since i have work and not been able to take it off.

this is the reason, and i get it. I personally would not of been able to go since i have work and not been able to take it off.
Fair, but then why not schedule it for the weekend? Too far away that people will lose interest?

My hope is that we get a big turnout tomorrow at city hall.

Fair, but then why not schedule it for the weekend? Too far away that people will lose interest?

My hope is that we get a big turnout tomorrow at city hall.

i dont know on logistics, but parades are almost always on weekday. the following tuesday. Plus some players may not be there any more. expansion draft and some options etc being taken by club or not.

Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta
Most of this ground has already been covered, but if you ever get a chance to go on an away day to see your team win a championship, I highly recommend it.

Had a great time hanging out with SoupInNYC SoupInNYC, got to meet mgarbowski mgarbowski and Shwafta Shwafta and other folks forum and not, and even ran into a friend who pre-dates NYCFC.

FO did a great job. From the $10 tickets to the victory party Saturday night, everything was well organized and thoughtful. Order more food next time though :)

Easily the most fun NYCFC experience since 2015. It felt like all the bullshit that surrounds this team and its supporters - and lord knows there's a lot of it - was set aside for one magic weekend.

AND WE WON THE CUP. I've been lucky enough to see my teams win several championships on tv, and there's just no comparison to being there. Just absolute pandemonium when Callens sealed it. Unreal.