NYCFC 2021 MLS Cup Champions

Fair, but then why not schedule it for the weekend? Too far away that people will lose interest?

My hope is that we get a big turnout tomorrow at city hall.

Preseason begins somewhere around Jan. 15. They need to get these guys out of here and on their vacations! The offseason is going to be ridiculously short.

Reactions: Kjbert and Shwafta
Somewhat unusual variance on the xG figures for this game. Everyone agrees that Portland took 19 shots and NYCFC 13. But for xG:

Opta /MLS Portland 1.3 NYCFC 0.9
FBRef Portland 1.8 NYCFC 0.6
ASA Portland 1.46 NYCFC 0.97

Portland accumulated by shooting a lot. But we had more on goal, and we blocked 8 of theirs.. The FBRef number for Portland seems way too high to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: SoupInNYC
Most of this ground has already been covered, but if you ever get a chance to go on an away day to see your team win a championship, I highly recommend it.

Had a great time hanging out with SoupInNYC, got to meet mgarbowski mgarbowski and Shwafta and other folks forum and not, and even ran into a friend who pre-dates NYCFC.

FO did a great job. From the $10 tickets to the victory party Saturday night, everything was well organized and thoughtful. Order more food next time though :)

Easily the most fun NYCFC experience since 2015. It felt like all the bullshit that surrounds this team and its supporters - and lord knows there's a lot of it - was set aside for one magic weekend.

AND WE WON THE CUP. I've been lucky enough to see my teams win several championships on tv, and there's just no comparison to being there. Just absolute pandemonium when Callens sealed it. Unreal.
Great to meet you, and agree with everything, including the one quibble about food quantity. But really, it's a quibble. The club, from front office to operations and players handled everything near flawlessly all week. So did the Third Rail. Pretty much anything they could control happened as stated, on time, and without cringe or disappointment.

Last edited:
Great to meet you, and agree with everything, including the one quibble about food quantity. But really, it's a quibble. The club, from front office to operation and players handled everything near flawlessly all week. So did the Third Rail. Pretty much anything they could control happened as stated, on time, and without cringe or disappointment.
Plus free ponchos

On a health and safety note, I would just encourage everyone who went to Portland or the event at Hammerstein to get COVID tested. There was a lot of indoor, mask-less close contact over the weekend. Even with the vaccine and boosters there are still breakthrough cases. Winning an MLS Cup is great. Keeping colleagues, friends, and family safe is important.

On a health and safety note, I would just encourage everyone who went to Portland or the event at Hammerstein to get COVID tested. There was a lot of indoor, mask-less close contact over the weekend. Even with the vaccine and boosters there are still breakthrough cases. Winning an MLS Cup is great. Keeping colleagues, friends, and family safe is important.
At home rapid tests have become pretty good. Order binax now through Wal-Mart, $14 two pack will probably be delivered in a day or 3 depending on your location, just in time for any exposure on Friday or Saturday to begin manifesting itself as trouble.

At home rapid tests have become pretty good. Order binax now through Wal-Mart, $14 two pack will probably be delivered in a day or 3 depending on your location, just in time for any exposure on Friday or Saturday to begin manifesting itself as trouble.
Yup, my company uses these for daily testing.

Somewhat unusual variance on the xG figures for this game. Everyone agrees that Portland took 19 shots and NYCFC 13. But for xG:

Opta /MLS Portland 1.3 NYCFC 0.9
FBRef Portland 1.8 NYCFC 0.6
ASA Portland 1.46 NYCFC 0.97

Portland accumulated by shooting a lot. But we had more on goal, and we blocked 8 of theirs.. The FBRef number for Portland seems way too me.

Add to this, 538 - or whomever they use - POR 1.4, NYC 1.7.

Most of this ground has already been covered, but if you ever get a chance to go on an away day to see your team win a championship, I highly recommend it.

Had a great time hanging out with SoupInNYC, got to meet mgarbowski mgarbowski and Shwafta and other folks forum and not, and even ran into a friend who pre-dates NYCFC.

FO did a great job. From the $10 tickets to the victory party Saturday night, everything was well organized and thoughtful. Order more food next time though :)

Easily the most fun NYCFC experience since 2015. It felt like all the bullshit that surrounds this team and its supporters - and lord knows there's a lot of it - was set aside for one magic weekend.

AND WE WON THE CUP. I've been lucky enough to see my teams win several championships on tv, and there's just no comparison to being there. Just absolute pandemonium when Callens sealed it. Unreal.

Concur with everything joe joe said here. It seems just a bit more special when it is an away trip, reminds me more of big games like the World Cup when fans converge on a city to cheer their team on. The only sporting event I can think of that I’ve been to that has been close to this in terms of atmosphere was the usmnt winning against Ghana in 2014.

Everything on this trip was remarkable (except for the crappy 2 hour delayed delta flight the night before giving us all heart attacks that the flight was going to be cancelled). Major major congratulations to the FO and Third Rail.